A Sad Day Yesterday. Had to Put My Old Dog Down!

I’m sorry for your loss. I know they are like family. I lost Lady nearly four years ago and still have not gotten another dog. Another dog would have some big shoes to fill.

15 years and 4 months of unconditional loyalty. We woke yesterday as normal. I let old Rosco out. Suddenly he wasn't coming back in. I looked out and he was moving strangely staggering in circles. I went and brought him in. Lifted him onto the coach as ive had to do for a while now. His head was turned hard to the right...strange. Suddenly he went into a seizure. Never before!
I called the emergency vet and rushed him in. I was allowed to carry him in and then had to leave. They called and informed me he probably had a stroke and had another seizure while the doctor was present. They gave me all the alternatives, but it was time.
I returned and was taken to a room where they carried him in and gently placed him on a bed on the floor where I was sitting waiting. They told me to take all the time I needed. I held his head stroking his chest and jaws the same as I had done hundreds of times sitting on the coach.
They say as you get older you revert to a child again. This is true. I cried like a child. Not the least embarrassed to admit it.
I finally got in control and called the doctor. She was very calm and patient with us. I said let’s finish it and she softly explained what was going to take place. It was very peaceful as his head began to relax into my hand. His eyes became drowsy finally closing. The doctor made the final injection. Rosco’s chest quit rising and falling. The doctor checked his heart and quietly said he was gone. He uncontrollably cried again. Layed his head softly on the pad and had to get out of there.

View attachment 383493View attachment 383494View attachment 383495View attachment 383496View attachment 383497View attachment 383498

We hunted from Montana to Texas together including at the Rockin-G-Ranch on the best quail hunt we had ever been on.
He was my constant companion even when just going to the store where he would calmly wait for me to return. He road 1,000 miles each direction from Colorado to East Texas to visit while my parents were still alive 4-5 times a year. He even road with me alone on a couple of 2,500 mile each way trips to south Florida while the family flew. Long drives, but he never seemed to be bothered by them.
He went swimming from the Rogue River in Oregon to the Gulf in Florida and many rivers and lakes between. He loved to water retrieve!
At my age, I’ll never get another dog to train. I’ll settle for great memories of my best bud and traveling companion, Rosco.
I’ll miss you old Rosco! I was truly blessed to have had you a part of my life! May you Rest In Peace.
I know the feeling, I think we all do.

Thanks guys! I don’t know if one ever forgets his best hunting buddy. I still catch myself looking at the empty couch where he often slept waiting for me to show up in the morning.
The squirrels and rabbits are taking over our little acre without him keeping them away.

I had a beagle that I really got attached to. If we would try to get him to load up after a short day he would start lying and act like he had a rabbit going. At 70 don't know if I want another dog.

Iwaters, I’m on my 74th year and not only do I not have the energy to train and exercise another dog, but I fear my expectations would be too high.

Iwaters, I’m on my 74th year and not only do I not have the energy to train and exercise another dog, but I fear my expectations would be too high.

True, but they all have their unique way and personality of winning our hearts. ;)

You'll know when you are ready. I have not gotten another Lab after my beautiful Savannah passed. However, after 9 or 10 months of my Shephard Lucky passing, we found an 8 year old black and tan Shephard name Kally, that was in a Humane Society shelter. My wife and I decide to take a chance and give her a good home. The story behind her is that her owners a couple in their 80s, but unfortunately the wife passed away. The husband couldn't take care of the 3 dogs and gave them for adoption.

This week I took her to the vet, and since COVID, it's been a drop in and you wait in your car while your dog is being examined. Our Vet who has known us since we got here, said I could go in if I wanted to. He asked me about Kally, and told him the story, and he said how lucky we both were, and that we both had won the lottery by finding each other. He couldn't have been more correct. Glad a different set of eyes saw that, because I have been saying the same thing to my wife. She is wonderful, and she'll never replace Lucky, but she had filled in the void we had in our hearts.

So, when you are ready, open your heart to another pooch. More loyal and faithful companion you'll never find. I'm sure you know that. ;)

Same thing happened to me 7 years ago and haven't had a pet dog ever since. Its sup a hard thing to do and live with, My condolence.

Prayers....

It truly sucks. After almost three years without a dog I'm still not yet ready for the next one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross