300 Winchester Magnum bullets for plains game

Best 300 Winchester Magnum bullets for plains game?

• Swift A-Frame

Votes: 39 37.1%
  • Woodleigh

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Barnes TSX

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • Other

Votes: 19 18.1%

• Total voters
When I went on my plains game safari to Namibia in 2009 the first thing my PH asked after arriving at the hunting camp was: what caliber is your rifle and what ammo are you using? When I answered it's a .375 H & H magnum and I'm using Remington Premier Safari ammunition loaded with the 300 grain Swift A-Frame.
He didn't say a word, he just smiled from ear to ear. Enough said!

Back in the day, There was not such an array of premium bullets. I chose my .30-06 with 180 gr. Partitions and they worked well. Later I had a .300 Win. Mag built and started shooting Accubonds in 180 gr. as they were more accurate. So far I've killed 2 mule deer, a black bear and a bull moose with it. All of the bullets passed through. I've also had good luck with Accubonds in 7 mm. So now I'm wondering why Nosler bullets don't seem to get a lot of respect from other African hunters. I was kind of thinking that I would try out the 200 grs. and see if they shoot as well as the 180s. and use that for plains game on my next safari. Do you guys think it's a good idea?

Accubonds are excellent bullets - they just work!

180gn Woodleigh PP come highly recommended in the 300 WM. (y)

IMG_20180705_122534.jpg

So now I'm wondering why Nosler bullets don't seem to get a lot of respect from other African hunters. I was kind of thinking that I would try out the 200 grs. and see if they shoot as well as the 180s. and use that for plains game on my next safari. Do you guys think it's a good idea?
IMO, Partitions were design during a time of lower velocity cartridges. It worked well. Then the high velocity cartridges came along. Monolithic, bonded lead, etc came along. Manufacturers found ways to strengthen the bullet integrity.
Nosler Partitions still have a place, IMO, in slower say 30-06 velocities. That’s where I primarily use them, or on more delicate game such as antelope where the animal is thinner and needs quick expansion.
Admittedly I used a 300 WM with 180 NP bullets on my first PG trip. I wasn’t satisfied with their performance particularly on tougher animals such as blue wildebeest and zebra. They got the job done, but nothing comparable to my 375 H&H with monolithics.
Much less penetration at closer ranges seemed the main issue with the high velocity Partitions. I didn’t lose an animal, but the zebra took multiple shots after the first hit bone and didn’t penetrate.
When you pay for for blood vs animal down, you want the best you can get. JMO&E

IMO, Partitions were design during a time of lower velocity cartridges. It worked well. Then the high velocity cartridges came along. Monolithic, bonded lead, etc came along. Manufacturers found ways to strengthen the bullet integrity.
Nosler Partitions still have a place, IMO, in slower say 30-06 velocities. That’s where I primarily use them, or on more delicate game such as antelope where the animal is thinner and needs quick expansion.
Admittedly I used a 300 WM with 180 NP bullets on my first PG trip. I wasn’t satisfied with their performance particularly on tougher animals such as blue wildebeest and zebra. They got the job done, but nothing comparable to my 375 H&H with monolithics.
Much less penetration at closer ranges seemed the main issue with the high velocity Partitions. I didn’t lose an animal, but the zebra took multiple shots after the first hit bone and didn’t penetrate.
When you pay for for blood vs animal down, you want the best you can get. JMO&E
I started a thread about this very thing a couple of years ago.
Although it was more about the 375H&H and not the 300WM.
Bullets have evolved as well as the high velocity cartridges now available.
IMO, better choices are available than a design from 1948.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/375h-h-mag-300gr-nosler-partition-surpassed.43020/

Excellent read. Thanks, all. Planning on a plains game hunt for next year and working on loads for a 300WM. Going to try TTSX 165 and 180's and A-frame 180's and 200's for accuracy. Already have a great TTSX 250 load for my 375 (second rifle), will likely try an A-frame 270 as well.

Excellent read. Thanks, all. Planning on a plains game hunt for next year and working on loads for a 300WM. Going to try TTSX 165 and 180's and A-frame 180's and 200's for accuracy. Already have a great TTSX 250 load for my 375 (second rifle), will likely try an A-frame 270 as well.

You might want to look at the new Norma Bondstrike. Tried it in my 300 win mag and it’s extremely accurate. Haven’t hunted with it yet, but think it’s going to shine when I do.

Of the three you listed, I picked the A-Frame. I'd use either 180gr or 200gr variety whichever is more accurate. I haven't hunted personally with the bullet, I'm a North Fork guy, but A-Frames would be my 2nd choice.

I did hunt with @AZ KJ last summer. He used 160gr in his 7mm Mag. Just devastating performance, I'd hunt confidently with them.

That said, your other choices of Woodleigh and Barnes have had lots of success too. If you choose Woodleigh go heavy and slower versus lighter/faster. They don't like high impact speeds.

based on you list I would pick t one shoots the best. My favorite has been the 200 gr. Nosler Partition or Accubond..both in my 30-06 and the 300s.

180gn Woodleigh PP come highly recommended in the 300 WM. (y)

View attachment 335859
Would you mind sharing your load ? here or by PM is fine

I have purchased a Tikka .300wm as I had components From one I sold.

I used Hornady SSTs in the Outfitters 7mm rm in South Africa with great success,

By chance i have 180gn SST that I plan to use and I got a recipe from Uncle Bob who uses load from a disk so he put in 24” Barrel and 180gn SST and AR2213sc being what I have and had purchased previously . I will load some today awaiting a permit to acquire of course.

I have other ADI powder and will try stick with those for availability.
I would probably look at Woodleigh as I replace ammo.

I mostly shoot pigs , foxes , pests. If the .300 goes OK I will try test my skills past 300 pending rifle and target, situation.

Camel may be in my future. I hope. New Zealand maybe,

Would you mind sharing your load ? here or by PM is fine

I have purchased a Tikka .300wm as I had components From one I sold.

I used Hornady SSTs in the Outfitters 7mm rm in South Africa with great success,

By chance i have 180gn SST that I plan to use and I got a recipe from Uncle Bob who uses load from a disk so he put in 24” Barrel and 180gn SST and AR2213sc being what I have and had purchased previously . I will load some today awaiting a permit to acquire of course.

I have other ADI powder and will try stick with those for availability.
I would probably look at Woodleigh as I replace ammo.

I mostly shoot pigs , foxes , pests. If the .300 goes OK I will try test my skills past 300 pending rifle and target, situation.

Camel may be in my future. I hope. New Zealand maybe,

Blacks was actually using my rifle with my reloads so I also recommend the 180gr Woodleigh PP.
EFGN2289.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG

@Mark R would you mind sharing your recipe then?
Woodleigh s are likely to get a run at some point. I’m Aussie I would like to support Aussie products
But I do admit I like shiny objects and ballistic tip projectiles.
It seems like there are many good options around and while I’ve done a bit others have tons more experience and have experienced different situations and results.

@Mark R would you mind sharing your recipe then?
Woodleigh s are likely to get a run at some point. I’m Aussie I would like to support Aussie products

It was a mild load if I remember correctly. I'll look it up tonight when I get home.

Cheers,
Mark.

I used Barnes TTSX 165 grains for a 300 WSM. Everything dropped to the shot, including kudu, gemsbok, blesbok, springbok, impala etc. The wildebeest did not drop to the shot, but that was more due to nerves (first animal) than anything else. I think you cannot go wrong with any of the bullets you have selected. Have fun.

@CBH Australia the load was Hornady cases with 76grains of AR2213. I haven't chronied that load but an estimate is 3,000fps.

Cheers,
Mark.

Thanks,

My favorite loads are the 200 gr. Woodleigh, or Nosler Accubond or partitions in both the 30-06 or one of the 300 magnums..They just work..and are better for Eland and if your in DG country hunting PG, the heavier bullets might just come in handy..

180 grain norma oryx. Awesome on plains games and have used it to rolls a few buffs too over the years.

I'm with @Dr Ray (Woodleigh PP) and @Art Lambart II (Federal TBBC). I like all I hear and see about the TBBC but have not used them. I have used the Woodleigh to good affect. However, I would like to add another suggestion: Swift Scirocco 2. Bonded bullet that penetrates deeply, and holds together. The advantage it has over A Frames and Barnes TSX are that it opens faster, and since you are hunting plains game, this is an advantage. Another choice would be the Barnes TTSX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!