I've only killed 2 of the African Big 5, both were one shot kills...
My Cape buffalo with a 300 gr Barnes TSX bullet from my .375 RUM,
and my Leopard with a 168 gr Barnes TTSX bllet from my .300 Wby.
If I were to hunt any of the other Big 5 animals I would use my .375 RUM.
If only one I’d pick what Mike Lagrange, Ron Thompson, Richard Harland, and now both Dalton and York use… The 458 WinMag!
With just the first three they took over 15,000 elephants with it, if it’s good enough for those guys it good enough me!
If you only get 1 gun for all of Africa, there are 2 or 3 real choices...375, 404 or 416. I shoot more DG than PG so it's the 416 for me. Happy to use it or the 375 on any one gun hunt...have done so and will do it again.
I voted for the 458. On a recent podcast, Dr. Kevin Robertson highly recommended a 500 gr .458 at 2150-2200 fps as the ideal buffalo caliber. I reckon that'll work really well on the other dangerous game animals too.
^^^^ I like less than 60-70 Foot pounds of recoil ^^^^
But think.40 cal + is a better starting Point over .375 on buffalo, and the just in case factor on dry hippo and Ill tempered elephants.
I have a 416 Rigby and a 375H&H. I went with the 416R. It simply puts the bullets I use to the same point of impact, can be used very close up out to 300mts without a worry and it works. I have only taken 3 DG animals so I do not have a lot of DG experience behind me.
Although I do believe the .416 caliber to the 404J is a real sweet spot for a client DG rifle. It just seems to be right at my recoil tolerance level so I have to back it down a touch.
If I were making a trip every year for DG, I’d dedicate myself to learning how to shoot a 458LOTT properly.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.