Weirdest animal shot and what with?

If we're allowing stories that dont involve shooting as the method of dispatch...

I once took a canada goose with a 40oz beer bottle :)

Probably 25 years ago.. I was working a midnight shift as a cop in a city thats not too far off one of the major migratory flyways... about 4 AM I found a huge canada goose laying in the middle of a major roadway that appeared to be dead...

I assumed he had caught a pellet earlier in the day from a hunter and had flown several miles and ended up giving up the ghost over the city (it was duck season at the time)...

So I parked the squad car, got out.. and approached the goose, intending on just throwing him to the side of the road and getting him off the pavement before traffic started up in a couple of hours...

The moment I touched his neck to pick him up, he came to life.. and he was none too happy with me putting my paws on him..

The fight was on...

As we got close to the roads edge, while in an active bout of pugilism with said Canada Goose, I spied an empty 40oz Schiltz Malt Liquor bottle.. so I picked it up and brained my angry feathered friend with it..

I ended up having to whack him a good 3 or 4 times before I was 100% certain he was dead...

I then threw him in the trunk of the squad car, took him home when my shift was over 2 hours later... and ate him later that evening :)
Mdwest, I think maybe you have won the event so far. Good story!

This would have to be my top trophy that I have hunted. I have a passion for hunting Spotted Hyena with my hunters, so decided to hunt one for myself. I took this one with my .300 Win Mag. It turned out to be a behemoth.

IMG_20190701_194112.jpg

Two, both taken on nights hunts in Limpopo. The first is a Spring Hare. Nothing whatsoever like a jack rabbit. The other was a Brown Hyena. Sneaky, clever, brutes that had me frazzled with their sixth sense to know something was up just before 3lbs applied to the trigger.
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG

Two, both taken on nights hunts in Limpopo. The first is a Spring Hare. Nothing whatsoever like a jack rabbit. The other was a Brown Hyena. Sneaky, clever, brutes that had me frazzled with their sixth sense to know something was up just before 3lbs applied to the trigger.
View attachment 369447View attachment 369448

Spring Hare.... the African Kangaroo

This is an old post but I suppose I can still respond to it.
I have killed both a raccoon and an opossum with shovel in my back yard. They were both in my chicken coop and all I could find to kill them with was a garden shovel. A whack to the head and they were stone cold dead, gotta say shovels are a pretty effective weapons.

There was no shooting involved but I once had a opossum living in my attic. It would wake us up all hours of the night. I tried a live trap but for some reason could not catch him. I set a leg hold trap with sardines and got a five gallon bucket of dirt to cover it. About midnight it sounded like the house was coming down. The wife and kids were in bed and I lived in the middle of town so shooting it was not possible. What to do now? Went out to the garage, grabbed a pitchfork, and climbed up into the attic. No more opossum.

I was maybe ten or so... and this was not done with a firearm. Actually I'm not even sure I killed it, but it's the best I can do where weirdness and animal killing and stories are concerned. My grandpa taught me how to trap and we started putting out a line for raccoon the year I turned seven. It was fun. I learned a lot. We set dry land sets along field edges - trail sets, dirt holes, cubbies. At that age I was always running ahead of grandpa, to try and have first look at the sets; ah, the exuberance of youth. One day, approaching a cubby, I noticed the cubby was pretty beat up (made of branches and bark). The trap was a 1.5 longspring, with a fairly long chain, wired to the tree that the cubby was built at the base of. The chain was up and over a branch maybe a foot off the ground, the trap swinging lightly in the breeze. There was fur caught between the jaws - silvery fur, opossum fur. When grandpa got there and saw it, he started laughing, and laughing hard. He had to explain it me, just what I had caught. It was an opossum scrotum. That poor critter was castrated by the jaws of a 1.5 Victor longspring, set by the hands of a dumb but eager ten year old. I have never forgotten how that looked, as I opened the jaws and prepared to remake the set. True story.

I was maybe ten or so... and this was not done with a firearm. Actually I'm not even sure I killed it, but it's the best I can do where weirdness and animal killing and stories are concerned. My grandpa taught me how to trap and we started putting out a line for raccoon the year I turned seven. It was fun. I learned a lot. We set dry land sets along field edges - trail sets, dirt holes, cubbies. At that age I was always running ahead of grandpa, to try and have first look at the sets; ah, the exuberance of youth. One day, approaching a cubby, I noticed the cubby was pretty beat up (made of branches and bark). The trap was a 1.5 longspring, with a fairly long chain, wired to the tree that the cubby was built at the base of. The chain was up and over a branch maybe a foot off the ground, the trap swinging lightly in the breeze. There was fur caught between the jaws - silvery fur, opossum fur. When grandpa got there and saw it, he started laughing, and laughing hard. He had to explain it me, just what I had caught. It was an opossum scrotum. That poor critter was castrated by the jaws of a 1.5 Victor longspring, set by the hands of a dumb but eager ten year old. I have never forgotten how that looked, as I opened the jaws and prepared to remake the set. True story.
Grackles in a tree with a 38-40. Just a few black feathers floating in the breeze.

The weirdest thing I ever shot was myself. I placed a coke can in the base of a old cedar log. The tree had fanned out at the base forming “U” shaped groves. I shot at the can with a 22 pistol loaded with low velocity 22 shorts. The bullet entered the bottom of the “U” circled around the top then came straight toward me a low velocity. I dodged but the bullet hit me but only broke the skin of my forehead but did not enter. It was weird seeing a bullet coming at you that you just shot.

I don't have a picture because I was probably 7 or 8 but it was a beautiful white swan with a pellet gun. My buddy and I thought it was hilarious to shoot behind the 3 swans to make a splash in an effort to herd them up onto ice in the winter time. They belonged to his father who was an olympic small bore marksman. I led one just a shade too far and shot a pellet through its leg. The swan bled to death in seconds. My friend and I then had several hours before Bruce (his father the olympic marksman) came home from a long day of work to find one of his swans dead. What to do.

Step 1) Pack knapsack.
Step 2) Run. Run fast.

That's as far as we planned. Bruce came home and I brought him his dead swan and explained what I had done. The worst part was that he just took it from my hands and walked away with it. Not a word. It was a dagger to my little heart. We never spoke of it.

Evening gents , @Bob Nelson 35Whelen and I were recently having a private conversation and the subject of weird game animals came up. After we got done laughing we decided to pose the question to the rest of the class.

So hear it goes: what’s the weirdest animal you’ve shot and what with?

p.s. this is all done in good fun and ment to lighten the mood.
The weirdest thing I've shot is a shovel nosed shark, using my Ruger M77 in .30/06. 1 shot brained it.
But the weirdest thing my mate (now deceased) shot was my Pajero 4WD with an accidentally discharged round from his 12-guage, as he was getting out!! Fortunately the round went through the floor and didn't hit anything. But the hole certainly added to the ventilated comfort of the passenger when I was driving at speed though!! :ROFLMAO:

Black Mamba with a .22 mag. It was hanging out of a tree as we drove past. On my side! I about ended up in my PH's lap;) We were both riding in back with 3 trackers sitting behind us.

Shot it a few inches from the head. I was going for the head but it tucked behind the tree before I got the shot off. Then chopped the head off with a panga but it kept squirming for quite a while.
20211012_171316.jpg

IMG_6478.JPG

I’ve been fortunate enough to harvest a lost of critters, but finally got one I’ve wanted for a long time last Thursday!

This is the 4th “black” coyote I’ve seen, but killing one just never worked on until last week. Then got a regular one just a few minutes later.

While elk hunting, an elk was moving thru the thick brush about 50yds in front of us (No available shot). All of a sudden a vole started squeezing alerting the bull, which did a 180. After a few expletives, I turned and shot the little sucker with my .338 mag, Only a wet spot on the rock.

A friend and I were driving from Cleveland to Montana for a bear hunt In my new GMC pickup. My buddy was driving at the time and we were doing about 90 mph going across South Dakota. A hen pheasant took off and was flying in front of us. I heard the impact and looked out the back window, expecting to see pieces of my grill bouncing off the highway… nothing. When we stopped for fuel and to switch drivers, I sheepishly peered around the front of my truck. My license plate was dented and and had feathers and meat adhered to it.
I highly recommend an ‘88 GMC for pheasant.

Former owner of the .404 i had ,took Ptarmigan, Capercaille, Moose,,Red Deer,,Roe Deer, and 2 species of Seal with the rifle, 310 Mimek for the Ptarmigan. Dont think it is so many others that did the same .

If he had gone on mission with a Whaling ship he would have used it there as a coup de grace rifle with Barnes Mono Solids,but it sadly did not get to that point i heard.

My buddy called me over to shoot a rattlesnake for him with my Ruger 10/22. "Don't damage the skin," he exclaimed. So, head shot at 20 feet it was.

2nd - fishing guide shooting my 96 lb Halibut with a 410 before bringing it in the boat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg