Weirdest animal shot and what with?

Back before we were old enough to pull a trigger we used slingshots.

It was during those days that I shot a few weavers too. (blue one in photo below) If we killed them or broke a wing we would build a fire, cook and eat them on the spot. We thought we were pretty tough big game hunters. If we just knocked the wind out of them they would go into the aviary. Shot all kinds of birds, including doves, pigeons, Franklin, monitor Lizards, iguanas, snakes, bush baby’s or anything that moved. We were pretty deadly.

I never had the power to kill monkeys, guinea or ducks, With the slingshot although I have hit a number of them. Friends however killed a vervet monkey once

Second photo is a bush baby. Knocked the wind out of him. Thought he would be a neat pet. Mom didn't like him jumping and knocking things off the shelves. He was released back to his buddies.

View attachment 366940View attachment 366942

Where did you grow up? That’s definitely not North American game.

Congrats!
What model is your Hoyt bow?
That trip was I 2006, don’t remember what model of bow. The baboon came in across from the hide, was having a drink. He lifted his head, just as I shot he went to drink again.

Yellow Baboon with the .416 Rigby, 25 yards.

20200513_152158.jpg

Where did you grow up? That’s definitely not North American game.

Photos are from southern Tanzania. Here are a few more sling shot critters from my media. Kingfisher, Green Pigeon, small Iguana. You can see the slingshots in the last couple of photos.

1599699358974.png

1599699382364.png

1599699404682.png

Are we to understand Mom never found out? That’s my guess since you’re here to tell the tail. ;)
Not until MANY years later! :E Laugh:
It sounds like @Timbo 's brother took a more direct approach when he was pissed at his mother with the good ol' low flying duck trick! LOL

Yep!! She was mightily pissed off at collecting that
pellet - made her lip look like a minature Vesuvius about to blow!! (Natrually us kids giggled - out of Mum's sight!!).

The funniest thing with my bro-in-law was that he was (and STILL is!!) a God awful shot - even with a 12-bore!! So prior to that season we did some clay target practice. We all had a go, and busted a few clays, but when it was his turn, my brother took out a heap of old LP records to throw up as bigger targets!! After a good laugh, we threw up a few for my bro-in-law - the poor bugger STILL couldn't get the knack so eventually we gave up, and trusted (for him) in luck.

On the day of opening season, we were all in position and had a great time dropping ducks. But my brother couldn't help writing down the day's tally for a good laugh. It read:

Terry - 12
Dad - 10
Mum - 8
Fred - 15
Sean - 11
Kathy - 7
Julian - Fred

(BTW Fred was a past Club skeet champion - which made the irony waaayyy more funnier!!)

My buddy and I were shooting in a prairie dog town in Wyoming. I zeroed in on a pair of dogs doing the nasty at roughly 400 yards. As I was setting up to shoot when the male literally vaporized off the back of the female. My buddy had shot a split second before me! The female was left on all fours blinking and looking kinda bewildered. I did the right thing and center punched her bout two seconds after she lost her lover. We were laughing so hard we couldn’t shoot for fifteen minutes!
What a terrible way to meet your maker - at the point of supreme ecstasy!! Poor bugger!! I bet he's still wondering what the hell happened!! :ROFLMAO:

I remember as a kid, being mad at my Mom, so I got my little Daisy Red Rider B.B. gun and shot one of the hummingbirds that frequented her feeder. The thing basically exploded. Hard to believe from just a little B.B. I think the only way I'd do something like that now is if I had a big feed of what Bob's drinkin'. I've never tried (or ever heard of) Bundy, but maybe one day.....

Your story reminds me of my own bb gun woes.

Wasps decided to set up residence in the photenia by the front door. Instead of getting RAID, I decided to go hunting with the bb gun. I spent maybe 30 minutes killing around 20 of them and blowing the hive up. After I was done I went up and found out that about three ricochets broke out the side window to the front door. We were poor newlyweds with no money. The wife wasn't impressed with my hunting prowess or marksmanship skills.

and there was this other time...

The neighbouring property said mate if you want to go hunting have a look around the Hay shed at the Cattle yards. The pigs get in the hay and the cattle don't like it when its fed out to them.

Its a big property and no-one lives down that end. It was dry and they were buying in hay at top prices so pigs were an issue.

So i had the nod and i knew there was water so there was a good chance of pigs late afternoon, I drove in shot a pig, went for a drive around came back shot a feral cat , Proud of my handy work I propped them up for a photo on a levy bank for all to see. I sent the photo on to the property manager with a message like i don't normally pose with ferals but I got a pig etc. I shot 2 more pigs in the area that week, no problem. No response from the neighbour , that's normal, the only condition is i let him know when im going shooting.

A few weeks later I got a message from the manager, G'Day Mate i just released another cat at the Hay shed.

Ok subtle, I still shoot there but I dont shoot cats by the Hay shed now.

and there was this other time...

The neighbouring property said mate if you want to go hunting have a look around the Hay shed at the Cattle yards. The pigs get in the hay and the cattle don't like it when its fed out to them.

Its a big property and no-one lives down that end. It was dry and they were buying in hay at top prices so pigs were an issue.

So i had the nod and i knew there was water so there was a good chance of pigs late afternoon, I drove in shot a pig, went for a drive around came back shot a feral cat , Proud of my handy work I propped them up for a photo on a levy bank for all to see. I sent the photo on to the property manager with a message like i don't normally pose with ferals but I got a pig etc. I shot 2 more pigs in the area that week, no problem. No response from the neighbour , that's normal, the only condition is i let him know when im going shooting.

A few weeks later I got a message from the manager, G'Day Mate i just released another cat at the Hay shed.

Ok subtle, I still shoot there but I dont shoot cats by the Hay shed now.
My brothers did something similar when they were teenagers. An old lady down the street kept complaining that her cat was always getting beaten up by a tom. My brothers told her they would arm themselves with bats, and wait in the shadows that night, and ambush the tom and kill it when it went to beat up her cat. She agreed. So all was set and quiet when the two cats met. The cats started fighting and my brothers, selecting one cat, swung (literally!!) into action with gusto and beat it to death.

Come the next morning, the old lady found out that they'd killed the wrong one!! :X3:

Last edited:

[USER=44341]@Cam Moon
Bundy is an Australian spirit made in Bundaberg , Queensland , Australia. Near Cairns, Great Barrier Reef.

So Bundaberg Rum goes well with Coke or other mixers. Great with Ginger Beer. Some Bourbon drinkers don’t like Rum but I don’t drink Bourbons
I'm a slop-bucket so I'll drink it all! But I'm mostly a rum drinker, and that Bundaberg Rum sounds interesting. Could be I'd see all types of new animals! LOL

I'm a slop-bucket so I'll drink it all! But I'm mostly a rum drinker, and that Bundaberg Rum sounds interesting. Could be I'd see all types of new animals! LOL
@Cam Moon.
Cam the most common animals seen on Bundy are sabre tooth field mouse, jackalopes and pink elefant. You may see a different varieties where you are tho.
Bob

Two opossums... in my tenants basement. They must have gotten in under the back stonework in the winter time looking for warmth. Now I am all for opossums because they eat ticks and are generally beneficial, so I don't generally shoot them, but they aren't generally inside a home either.

The tenant said they could hear claws on the metal ductwork. I grabbed the airgun, drove over and went downstairs thinking I would see a rat and there it was... a large female opossum looking me in the eyes. Heart lung shot from about 10 feet with a .25 caliber precharged air rifle loaded with 33.95 grain JSB pellets. Passed through her chest and lodged in the wood joist behind... I forgot about it and that pellet is still there. Two days later, same thing but with a Male opossum... He was probably wondering why his lover never came back from going to the shops. Another heart shot on that one facing me. Both of them collapsed on the floor within about 5-7 seconds. Man do I love suppressed air rifles!

When I was a kid I learned that you NEVER head shoot an Opossum... Miss the brain and they will play dead, then get up to walk away. However, they can't play dead for too long with a hole through their chest without actually becoming dead.
1599848653371.png

1599848669490.png

1) Arrived home late one night from work, opened the door, turned the light on and a bat flew in...It was a moonlit night, so that damn thing wouldn't fly out by turning outside lights on and the inside lights off. It was clinging to a high, skylight window as the moonlight was peering in. Now this bastardo is 3 stories up in a great room (house sits on top of a rocky mtn, so the basement floor is at grade) on a double-pane of glass at the very top of the ceiling...'Mulled over my options (fishing net, various soft sports balls...Son's .177 cal air rifle. LUCKILY it was Dad's recommended pump-action, so i put 1 pump in it (it can handle 10), got as close as I could (a stair railing, which also doubled as my rock-solid rest, put the crosshairs "at the end of the smile LOL" and dropped it like a bad habit. What started off as an annoyance was cured by an impromptu indoor safari.

2) I might have witnessed some boys duck hunting miles from nowhere with their retired Military Dad's M-16 (decades ago), but I should probably not say a lot more about that (as this came to me in a dream, and Both the officer Dad's and guns are now gone). (I believe the selector switch was in semi-auto mode to make it more sporting.) Those kids thought it was the coolest thing ever at that time. As an adult, I don't think those style weapons have a place in sport hunting, excepting culling and/or predator hunting.

3) Seeing the possum above reminded me of something. This should've been published as a helpful hint in the back of old hunting magazines...Growing up along a large river, we'd see all sorts of wildlife every single day. Possums by the droves crossed the main road at night. When those pickup truck bug/wind deflectors that protect the front hood area first came out in the 1980s, they were all clear plexiglass. One sporting fool kid got the idea of putting two strips of black electrical tape, one on each side, arranged vertically and lined up with the centerline of the front (and rear) tires. It was dubbed, The Possum Sight. Just drive up and down the road late at night and a resounding "Pop" marked each very accurate hit. Legend has it that like Jameson, he never missed! ;) Oh, weapon: 1970s Datsun pickup in 2,400 cc caliber.

Last edited:
received_1328881663975545.jpeg

I shot Popeye,
He was standing on railway tracks so I opted for a headshot or clear miss. A 125gn Nosler BT through the back of the head from a .308 and he looked Stoned

20170720_173413.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross