Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Ducks Unlimited, Wild Turkey Fed.
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe
If we're allowing stories that dont involve shooting as the method of dispatch...

I once took a canada goose with a 40oz beer bottle :)

Probably 25 years ago.. I was working a midnight shift as a cop in a city thats not too far off one of the major migratory flyways... about 4 AM I found a huge canada goose laying in the middle of a major roadway that appeared to be dead...

I assumed he had caught a pellet earlier in the day from a hunter and had flown several miles and ended up giving up the ghost over the city (it was duck season at the time)...

So I parked the squad car, got out.. and approached the goose, intending on just throwing him to the side of the road and getting him off the pavement before traffic started up in a couple of hours...

The moment I touched his neck to pick him up, he came to life.. and he was none too happy with me putting my paws on him..

The fight was on...

As we got close to the roads edge, while in an active bout of pugilism with said Canada Goose, I spied an empty 40oz Schiltz Malt Liquor bottle.. so I picked it up and brained my angry feathered friend with it..

I ended up having to whack him a good 3 or 4 times before I was 100% certain he was dead...

I then threw him in the trunk of the squad car, took him home when my shift was over 2 hours later... and ate him later that evening :)
Mdwest, I think maybe you have won the event so far. Good story!

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
This would have to be my top trophy that I have hunted. I have a passion for hunting Spotted Hyena with my hunters, so decided to hunt one for myself. I took this one with my .300 Win Mag. It turned out to be a behemoth.

IMG_20190701_194112.jpg

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
Two, both taken on nights hunts in Limpopo. The first is a Spring Hare. Nothing whatsoever like a jack rabbit. The other was a Brown Hyena. Sneaky, clever, brutes that had me frazzled with their sixth sense to know something was up just before 3lbs applied to the trigger.
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
Two, both taken on nights hunts in Limpopo. The first is a Spring Hare. Nothing whatsoever like a jack rabbit. The other was a Brown Hyena. Sneaky, clever, brutes that had me frazzled with their sixth sense to know something was up just before 3lbs applied to the trigger.
View attachment 369447View attachment 369448

Spring Hare.... the African Kangaroo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!