South Africa vs. Namibia?

Hunter_D

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and new to learning about hunting in Africa. Me and a friend are interested in going to Africa to hunt and plan to bring our wives and possibly my 9 year old son. My two biggest concerns are as follows.
1. Safety
Safety on the hunt of course but also safety for female observers.
2. Hunt quality
If I understand correctly SA is more modern but also most if not all of SA is high fenced. I amhonestly struggling with the fence aspect of the hunt. While I realize most properties range in size and some even are very large the fence still bugs me. I am not critiquing anyone for their style of hunting but I have personal goals that I have for satisfaction. I am not wealthy and dint want to spend thousands of dollars only to be disappointed in the experience.

Is Namibia high fenced? Am I being to picky? Is it possible to have a the best of both worlds meaning hunting game rich environments in no fence areas at an affordable price while not compromising safety and somewhat modern facility's? We dont have to have 5 star accommodations by no means but something decent. I hope these are honest and fair questions that I am humbly asking.
Thanks in advance.

I tell people planning their first trip to Africa, you are very likely to get treated better than you deserve to be :giggle: Seriously, most places and outfitters, particularly the sponsors on AH, do a great job catering to the clients.

As far as fenced properties, as long as they are large, say 5 to 10k acres, it is real hunting. I hunted a fenced property in Namibia that was 50,000 acres. In RSA, 10,000 to 100,000. In Zim, 800,000 acres.

It sounds like a family trip/hunt for you and either Namibia or RSA for a PG hunt will be a perfect first hunt. Read some hunt reports and contact some of the sponsors. Planning a hunt is a fun part of the process.

South Africa for the most part is high fenced, though there are areas that are completely free-roaming albeit hard to find. The Kruger has many hunting concessions that are huge in size. I think what may be rubbing you the wrong way is the put and take method. Most high-fenced ranches in SA don't follow the practice and are cheaper in price than say a hunting concession. What's important is that the animals still act as they would in the wild even with a high fence and many of them are capable of jumping over, eland is a good example.

Namibia might be the better choice if what you're looking for is a North American-style hunt. As for safety, the chance of getting attacked in either South Africa or Namibia is extremely slim. Yes, both countries have considerable crime-rates though those are, for the most part, in ghettos.

A few months ago, i shared your concerns when trying to decide where to go for my first safari. It’s true that South Africa is made up of many ranches and game farms, most of which are fenced. Fencing has multiple purposes and is not to just keep the animals in. Some species can come and go despite the fence... I wouldn’t worry about the old “put and take” either. Some animals are introduced in herds for management reasons.

Having said that, it doesn’t mean that it’s not fair chase as there are ample opportunities for your targeted species to elude you.

I would venture to guess that any of the AH sponsors would provide a high quality hunt that you wouldn’t be disappointed in. There’s just too much to lose on their end with a bad review.

Ultimately I decided that the Kalahari of Namibia suited what I was looking for the best. I’ll soon be sending in my deposit for my first safari too.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are many great options in South Africa that would give you what you seek, but my money is on Namibia. I am from British Colombia and my experience hunting in Namibia was similar to hunting here. Except there was more game...

Hunter_D we have just what you are looking for.
6 of the 8 ranches we own is all free range in the Kalahari.
Plenty of gemsbuck, springbuck, wildebeest, hartebeest, kudu, eland, warthogs, ostrich, steenbuck, duiker, etc. are on the open cattle ranches. On the 2 adjoining high fenced ranches (roughly 20 000 acres in one open block no internal fences) we have more species like lion, buffalo, giraffe, sable, roan, waterbuck, etc. We are situated in South Africa but close to where Namibia S.A. and Botswana get together. Just east of Kgalagadi Gemsbuck National Park.
You can hunt both areas as they are only 2 hours drive apart and then decide where you rather want to be.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

You may want to check on the travel requirements for both countries. I was told travel insurance to cover a virus issue is required in Namibia but not RSA. The cost of that for a family could be a deal breaker.

You should not be put off by fences, chances are after you first enter the property you wont see the fence again. The fence is there as much to keep poachers and dog packs out as to keep game in. In fact in Zimbabwe we are busy trying to raise support to fence the conservancy where we hunt, just to keep the wanderers out. The animals don't venture out now anyway, the fence will make no difference to them.

My vote goes to central Namibia for a first hunt. The human population is much smaller and the ranches are much bigger on average. There are fenced properties and many unfenced properties too. You can hunt kudu, gemsbok, eland, zebra, springbok, hartebeest, warthogs free range/native range. South Africa is much more developed, a huge human population and many more towns. I’ve had great hunts in both but I think Namibia will give you a better first African experience because it’s much less developed.
Something to consider about South Africa is it is a huge country with a lot of different landscapes, thinking of it as only 1 area is a mistake. I’ve hunted against Kruger in Limpopo, north of Johannesburg in Limpopo, eastern cape coast, and Eastern cape Karoo. I really enjoyed the eastern cape. The ranches were big and the topography of the land in eastern cape added a lot of surface area and there was much more space compared to Limpopo. I’ve enjoyed hunting in Limpopo but it’s heavily fenced and a lot of smaller ranches and much more intensive game ranching. There are many other areas in South Africa I haven’t been to yet.

Last edited:
I hunted 800,000 acres in Zimbabwe on my first hunt. Except for the perimeter we didn’t encounter fencing.
I hunted PG in Namibia on my second hunt. The property was a “fenced” 35,000 acres and an adjacent 50,000 acres. At no point did I feel enclosed. The few times I did encounter fencing, it didn’t have any bearing on the hunt. Several times I saw game jumping over the fencing.
Everyone has their own take on fencing. I didn’t think it mattered and was pretty much oblivious to it. I think most people would fall in that category. However, there are some that may feel claustrophobic.

Is Namibia high fenced?
There are high fences, for game.
Low fences, for cattle.
Free range.

How you will hunt in Namibia depends of your agreement with outiftter.
There are number of indegenious species free roaming, free range.

Others, introduced (which means outfitters investment), will be in high fence,of course.
Fenced areas can be very large, do not bother too much about it.

In any case, speak with your outfitter, and ask specifically which species can be hunted out of fence. Then go for it.

Welcome to the forum

Most comments above are true but each hunter must know what he wants and expects and do your homework and make sure your expectations are realistic and condusive to a good safari. Especially if you are taking wifes and kids along

Regards

I would say there will be more non hunting excursion options available in south africa for those that may not want to hunt with you all day. Safety wise i have not encountered any problems on any of my trips with my family in Namibia or South africa. If you think the fences may be an issue then Namibia would probably be best. But you may be limited on the available species.

I really like this forum! It has made a newby feel welcomed and have already learned a lot of valuable info.
I guess I should have mentioned the animals desired. I dont know if the animals I want will be available in Nimibia or not.
Sable at the top of list then as follows
Kudu
Gemsbok
Red Hartabest
Impala
Springbok
Blesbok
There are other animals of interest but probably would have a hard time getting them all in one trip unless I had lots of money or hunted in a pen of which neither apply to me.
Second list includes
Wildebeest
Zebra
Waterbuck
Nyalya
I also want to say I have zero interest in hunting an animal born in captivity and released into where ever. Also no animals raised on a farm or in a pen, no ear tagged animals. Not judging anyone else but simply explaining my personal standard of satisfaction.

Thank you for all the replies and the PM's.

I really like this forum! It has made a newby feel welcomed and have already learned a lot of valuable info.
I guess I should have mentioned the animals desired. I dont know if the animals I want will be available in Nimibia or not.
Kudu
Gemsbok
Red Hartabest
Impala
Springbok
Blesbok
There are other animals of interest but probably would have a hard time getting them all in one trip unless I had lots of money or hunted in a pen of which neither apply to me.
Second list includes
Wildebeest
Zebra
Waterbuck
Nyalya
I also want to say I have zero interest in hunting an animal born in captivity and released into where ever. Also no animals raised on a farm or in a pen, no ear tagged animals. Not judging anyone else but simply explaining my personal standard of satisfaction.
You’ll need to research where all these animals are native at to find true free range opportunities. Many animals are held in by low fence as well such as wildebeest and blesbok is something you need to consider. Blesbok and black wildebeest are only native to South Africa. Blue wildebeest have a much wider distribution. Hartman mountain zebra only huntable in Namibia, the burchell zebra have a much wider range. Nyala are only native along the Indian Ocean South Africa, Mozambique. Sable are native to Caprivi in Namibia but I don’t think you will find them free range outside of that area. I would really thoroughly research outfitters/hunting areas in South Africa before committing to a sable hunt there. They are/were an intensely game ranched animal.

Take a look at this thread, I added my photos to it. You’d have to remove sable, but Kaokoland in Namibia is the most wild area I’ve ever seen. Millions of acres with zero fencing high or low, and really high quality trophies you have to work hard for at a plains game price.

Kudu
Gemsbok
Red Hartabest
Impala
Springbok
Blesbok
Second list includes
Wildebeest
Zebra
Waterbuck
Nyalya

Thank you for all the replies and the PM's.
If a sable is at the top of your list, then unless you are willing to go to wilderness areas in Zambia, Zimbabwe, or Mozambique in search of a true free range bull, you will be hunting a fenced property. There are also a few available in the Caprivi, but mounting just a PG hunt there would be an expensive proposition.

Therefore, I would focus on properties that have self-sustaining game populations. You can find such game ranches in both Namibia and South Africa. Numerous sponsors on this site can fulfill your wish list and answer any concerns about your spouses.

I have hunted both SA and Namibia. I hunted SA first and very much enjoyed it. Then I went to Namibia, I doubt I will hunt SA again. Paper work for firearms for SA is total ball ache can take hours resulting in missing connecting flights, having to bribe people to do their jobs is not a good start to a holiday. On arrival to Windhoek you have one A4 sheet with about 6 or 7 questions 10minutes and you are on your way. You can email this form prior to travel it saves time.
The people in Namibia are far more friendly and dont consistantly pester you for tips. Namibia has allways given me a great sence of wilderness and I have always hunted unfenced the abundance of animals is amazing.
I love Namibia.
Good luck with your trip were ever you decide and be awer the "African" disease, it is adictive and you will be planning your second trip before you get home.
Markcz

I hunted twice in NA for a 5 weeks in total at two farms and 3x in SA for 9 weeks at 8-9 farms. Not sure if its enough to build 100% exact picture but those are my key points:
NA have bigger farms (I hunted at 15.000 and 22.000 acres and they were considered as small for area of Northern Namibia next to Etosha conservacy. I also heard for over a million acres concession at Damara land but w/o personal experience. It is safer place (according to statistic 50% less murders per 100.000 than SA) about 1/3 less HIV positive, less crowd
SA is just 1.5x bigger that NA but have almost 20x more population therefore less remote area. Farms are smaller, majority farms I visited was just 1500-3.000 acres and on two animals was as tame as cattle which was embarrassing for me even I was using the bow. My feeling was that SA's farms are better organized with more infrastructure which was not African experience I was looking for. More trespassing - SA hunter who live at farm close to Pretoria said that his house was robbed 27 times! Noticeable number of emigrants from north countries (from Nigeria to Mozambique) also made an impact of crime footprint. I visited few places which have rhinos (farm where I took my buff at Limpopo and national parks Kruger and Pilanesberg) and all of those places have constant issue with poachers

I understand your concern about hunt inside the game fence but if you hunt at 10.000-15.000 plus acres your experience will be equal to open area hunt for sure

I am new to this forum and new to learning about hunting in Africa. Me and a friend are interested in going to Africa to hunt and plan to bring our wives and possibly my 9 year old son. My two biggest concerns are as follows.
1. Safety
Safety on the hunt of course but also safety for female observers.
2. Hunt quality
If I understand correctly SA is more modern but also most if not all of SA is high fenced. I amhonestly struggling with the fence aspect of the hunt. While I realize most properties range in size and some even are very large the fence still bugs me. I am not critiquing anyone for their style of hunting but I have personal goals that I have for satisfaction. I am not wealthy and dint want to spend thousands of dollars only to be disappointed in the experience.

Is Namibia high fenced? Am I being to picky? Is it possible to have a the best of both worlds meaning hunting game rich environments in no fence areas at an affordable price while not compromising safety and somewhat modern facility's? We dont have to have 5 star accommodations by no means but something decent. I hope these are honest and fair questions that I am humbly asking.
Thanks in advance.
Don’t feel bad you have the same questions as 90% of hunters contemplating Africa. So let me pose a question for you. How many acres would the property have to be for you not to worry about the fence? I have been hunting ranches lately with 75,000 to 100,000 acres. The fence on those properties is just a legal formality.
Do you know what an Africa game fence looks like? It would not hold my whitetail deer for more than a week!
In my experience on a typical game farm you can take 1-2 trophies a day. Completely free range places 1 trophy for every 3 days is how it’s been for me. It becomes a bang for the buck issue IMO.
Game ranches in RSA and Namibia are very safe. You have the same concerns there as here and that is car wrecks and maybe sprained ankles!
I hope you have fun planning your next safari. You are in the right place!
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paintingsolution

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you