Show Us Your Reloading Bench

We continue to look at reloading, but it’s unlikely.
I did all the research, spreadsheets, ROI calculations...
It would pay for itself in 2-3 years.

However, it takes time...time I don’t have much of.
Time I’d rather spend shooting.
Not to mention the space needed for it.
The wife will still get the living room redone.
But my office, will stay an office, not a reloading room.
With a few exceptions, for short range hunters (300 and less), reloading isn't really necessary. Find a factory load that works and stock up. At the range, I recently witnessed a shooter with a Christensen Mesa rifle in 28 Nosler hitting a six inch gong at 500 meters every shot with factory hunting ammo.

@BeeMaa Forget about ROI, it's more like LOI. :)

'Have 2: 1 at home and another at the farm. STURDY is an absolute requirement, as the press will move most around (wobbling). I've had the best successes with industrial workbenches (all steel or steel with butcher block top,) and in one case even used a stainless steel hospital work table. These can be purchased through many industrial supply catalogs. One of the large, combination toolbox/workbenches available at your favorite big box home improvement center will work well-you may have to anchor it to the wall as detailed above. I like to think of most as a combination gunsmithing-gun cleaning-reloading bench, so 6' wide is perfect, but 4' will do. Some have adjustable legs, which are helpful on concrete floors. 'Have even used a portable vise (ex: B&D Workmate) to reload in a hunting camp (and my bedroom as a kid). Worked well. The wife was never fond of my gunsmithing setup in the Dining Room, so I thought long and hard about it, and decided to trade her in for a girlfriend! An old hardwood bar might work well (everything hidden on the inside,) and also serves a dual-purpose! Good luck.

A friend has one of these set up as a reloading bench in their garage. Seems to work well.

F0EB79DD-7038-46EA-B7F4-99DE77060053.png

I was thinking this one might work.

Seville Classic Ultra HD
The more you can make it solid and stable the better - ideally you may want your electronic scales (and/or an RCBS Chargemaster, etc.) on the same surface.

A section of 3/4" plywood (or your solid materal of choice) bolted to the top, with some overhang in the front and on both ends, will accomplish several things:
The front overhang gives you more options on where to bold down your press.
Adds more surface area.
And hopefully adds some strength and stability.

And a little stain or finish - even on plywood, makes a nice improvement in the appearance, IMO.

I think I'm going to put my press on the Lee Reloading Stand and leave the bench clear for the other steps.

I built this bench back in 1978 when I moved into this house. The top of the bench is 3/4" plywood over a solid layer of 2x6's and covered with a tight weave carpet. The Honey Bair single stage 12 ga press on the far left of the bench was my first shotshell press that I bought back in 1971 when I got my first shotgun. I still use it for loading hunting shells.

I bought my first Pacific (Hornady) 366 12 ga shotshell press back in the early '80 when I got into competitive Trap shooting. I later added the Hornady 366 presses in 20 and 28 ga and .410 when I got into competitive Skeet shooting.

I use the modified Dillon 450 press for all of my pistol plus .223 and .308 Win loading. I use the RCBS RockChucker press for all of my other rifle reloading. I put a spacer in the RockChucker press so I can interchange dies between presses without having to re-adjust them.

Behind the RockChucker press I have a Thumler rotary Tumbler and a Frankfort Arsenal vibratory tumbler.

On the left wall I have wall to wall top kitchen cabinets with shelves under them for various components and other necessary stuff.

CIuVDBPl.jpg

Attachments

• CIuVDBPl.jpg
    CIuVDBPl.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 255
The more I talk to people about reloading.
The more I hear about how much they are spending on it.
Some have even come clean saying they don't save any money.
They do it because they enjoy it, which is why you should do it.

If I had been doing it my whole life, it might be another story.
But I haven't.
Getting into it with the level of precision that I know I will want...
It doesn't make good sense at this point.

I'm a hunter, not a long range guy.
Farthest poke I'd take at a game animal is about 350 yards.
If factory ammo isn't getting me that kind of accuracy...
I'll just have to get closer.

For most and even the weekend hunter you can save money by reloading. You don't have to have all the fancy gear that comes from years of doing it but a nice starter kit that will usually run between $200-$400.

If I just loaded for my Weatherby I would save close to $100 per box of 20. Retail for those rounds are $120-$130 for a box of 20 And I can load that same round for around $25 for 20.

So if you shoot premium ammo that runs around $40 a box your savings will be less but they will add up over time.

@buffy
Outstanding setup sir.

I still have my Pacific 366 as well; long since converted to 28 Gauge. Real dollar savings on the 28. I might even have an ancient Pacific DL 155 in the back of the closet, too.

@BeeMaa
IMO, the way to start is with reloads for your basic plinking/ practice rifle, like a 308. Go with a quality press, but just buy what gets you the dance:

Lee Powder Measure, RCBS hand priming tool, any half decent electronic scale, and some kind of basic trimmer. Dies and lube of course, a $25 set of calipers, deburring tool, and maybe a small vibratory case cleaner in the garage. Done.

The Lee Powder Measure will drop most powders to within +/- 0.2 grains. Precision enough for longer ranges than most will ever need.

Expand and go for time saving and more precision orientated gear when and If desired. It would be unwise to jump in with DG loads without considerable experience, anyway.

But yes, it will still be time consuming, especially at the start.

With a few exceptions, for short range hunters (300 and less), reloading isn't really necessary. Find a factory load that works and stock up. At the range, I recently witnessed a shooter with a Christensen Mesa rifle in 28 Nosler hitting a six inch gong at 500 meters every shot with factory hunting ammo.

@BeeMaa Forget about ROI, it's more like LOI. :)
I'll bet if it was 'factory hunting ammo' it was Nosler Long Range. Like what $100+ a box?
I have a very basic reloading outfit I bought used years ago. I like to shoot, and there is no way I could afford to if I bought factory ammo. But living where I do (rural Canada) it is pretty well impossible to find ammo off the shelf loaded with the projectiles I want. Just try to find hotter loads in 35 Whelen, using AFrames, or Barnes, or even Accubonds. The same can be said for my .223 and .375HH. But I can buy the bullets I want and reload. If one has a more popular caliber like say, 30-06, 308, 7mmRM, etc. you can often find ammo you want use, but it is not a given. Reloading gives you freedom.

@Rick Cox They were Hornady 162 ELD-X, $50 a box.

@Rick Cox They were Hornady 162 ELD-X, $50 a box.
OK I lose. That would be only be CA$67 . But the odds of being able to drive to town and find the ammo you want in a caliber like that are slim. I'm not knocking factory ammo, hereabouts it would really limit choice.

OK I lose. That would be only be CA$67 . But the odds of being able to drive to town and find the ammo you want in a caliber like that are slim. I'm not knocking factory ammo, hereabouts it would really limit choice.
That cartridge has become fairly popular here in the states. Originally, Nosler was the only brass made but now Hornady, ADG and Peterson are producing it, all readily available through the web.

That cartridge has become fairly popular here in the states. Originally, Nosler was the only brass made but now Hornady, ADG and Peterson are producing it, all readily available through the web.
That is until and if Mr. Biden takes the oath and then we will have another 4 long lean years of trying to find loading components or factory ammo

That is until and if Mr. Biden takes the oath and then we will have another 4 long lean years of trying to find loading components or factory ammo
My 2¢. Biden/Harris are going after black guns, imported firearms, ovesize magazines and 80%ers. None are my cup of tea but the gun markets as they are today would take a huge hit.

My Place!!

I needed a place for all my hobbies! Fly tying, gun building and reloading. The press is a 1956-58 Hollywood senior, extremely well made. Going to Africa in June, hopefully the wall will have some nice looking mounts on them in 2022?

5964FE34-EDF7-48B6-8D22-F54AAB09D7C6.jpeg
6CA3857B-6982-461E-A560-30A25F5E37CD.jpeg

Still Alive - that 3-sided arrangement is ideal since it allows you to turn around and roll slightly to where you want to go next. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that because of space limitations.

The savings, if any, are in the case being reused. If the brass can be reloaded 10 to 20 or more times, the cost for one round of premium 28 Nosler ammo would be in the neighborhood of $1.00 to $1.50.
That number would be half for common rounds like the .308 or 30-06.

The flip side of "saving money" is you'll probably shoot more to compensate. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!