Shooting my CZ550 .416 Rigby for the first time

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Well after all the calibre questions, battling with the police and finally coming up with a load for my Rigby, I took it to the range for the first time today. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing, it's a big old cartridge!

After the first shot I was left wondering what all the fuss is about?! I guess the huge Pachmayr Decelerator pad fitted to the Armid stocked CZ makes quite a difference, but it's a long way from being the worst gun I've ever fired. I didn't manage to shoot groups with it as stupidly I managed to leave all my gongs and targets at home, but shooting it free hand at bottles of water was quite entertaining and did a lot to build my confidence with the gun.

Something I did learn from it though was that it's easy to become complacent and not pay attention to the way I was holding the gun. The last shot of the day was a little too relaxed and not very well thought out - the rifle showed me that although it's not all that bad when fired properly, if you take your eye off of the ball it quite quickly reminds you that it's no .22! Lesson learned!

A few of the guys at the range shot it and we had a very enjoyable time. I think now would be a good time to buy a scope for it and get that set up, so next time I can settle down on the sticks and really see how accurate it is. I need to give the trigger some attention as it's a bit creepy for accurate shooting, but I believe that's a fairly simple process? With the set trigger I was able to let the round off just when I wanted but without setting it things are a bit harder to judge.

Glad you hear you are happy with your new rifle. And agree with you that if you respect it, it will respect you. And with a little practice, you are going to be surprised how just how far out that bucket of powder and 400 grain bullet will reach out and nail a bullseye, ring a steel plate or splash a liter of water!

I also just fired my CZ 416 Rigby for the first time yesterday. Got it as a buffalo hunting back up gun to my 375 Ruger. It doesn't have a scope on but I also found the recoil less than expected, not a lot more than my 375. The CZ's fit me nicely and it makes a huge difference to the recoil. I loaded 400 gr Barnes TSX for it. What did you load? I'm thinking of shortening the barrel to 23 inches to make it a bit easier to swing in the bush.

You can fiddle with the triggers on the CZ's but you hit a point where it gets to it's lightest and the set trigger won't engage forward. But it's not needed at that stage anyway.

I also just fired my CZ 416 Rigby for the first time yesterday. Got it as a buffalo hunting back up gun to my 375 Ruger. It doesn't have a scope on but I also found the recoil less than expected, not a lot more than my 375. The CZ's fit me nicely and it makes a huge difference to the recoil. I loaded 400 gr Barnes TSX for it. What did you load? I'm thinking of shortening the barrel to 23 inches to make it a bit easier to swing in the bush.

You can fiddle with the triggers on the CZ's but you hit a point where it gets to it's lightest and the set trigger won't engage forward. But it's not needed at that stage anyway.

Shortened my barrel on my CZ 416, Victor. If you need some info, feel free to drop me a message. Fitted an RMR red dot. Great combo.

I have the same rifle and love mine too. I'm a hand loader and currently shooting 400 grain AFrames; a real beast killer all right. 10 rounds an outing is enough for me.

Going to Tanzania in August for a two buffalo hunt...my first trip to Africa!

Currently I'm shooting 410gr Woodleigh Weldcore over 91gr of Alliant RL22 - start load. That could be part of the reason for the pleasant level of recoil. I wanted to start low and work up as I thought it would be worse than it is. I'll pop a couple more grains into the next batch!

Something I did learn from it though was that it's easy to become complacent and not pay attention to the way I was holding the gun. The last shot of the day was a little too relaxed and not very well thought out - the rifle showed me that although it's not all that bad when fired properly, if you take your eye off of the ball it quite quickly reminds you that it's no .22! Lesson learned!

This is what all the fuss was about.

Glad you had fun.

Currently I'm shooting 410gr Woodleigh Weldcore over 91gr of Alliant RL22 - start load. That could be part of the reason for the pleasant level of recoil. I wanted to start low and work up as I thought it would be worse than it is. I'll pop a couple more grains into the next batch!
Just curious, what kind of fps are you getting now?

I really like your opening post for this thread.
You kinda remind me of a "Good Olde Boy" from the old country - no offense meant, and I hope none taken.
Glad you are enjoying the rifle.

...The last shot of the day was a little too relaxed and not very well thought out - the rifle showed me that although it's not all that bad when fired properly, if you take your eye off of the ball it quite quickly reminds you that it's no .22! Lesson learned

In truth, you just captured the essence of the issue. And "Praise the Lord!" you learned that lesson without a scope on the rifle. Had it been scoped, you would likely have a nice little scar in the forming, about right between the eyes... I bet that shot was not all too accurate, right?

These big boomers are amazingly easy to shoot and amazingly accurate when properly and very firmly held. If not, they have enough recoil that the barrel is pointing all over the place by the time the bullets leaves it (there goes your accuracy!), and the scope is planted firmly into your forehead (there comes "the fuss").

Here is the thing: that lesson is also easily unlearned in the excitement of the hunt. Be very self-conscious of "stock deep in shoulder pocket"; "stock held back very firmly against the shoulder"; and "eye as far back from the scope as possible" EVERY time you pull the trigger, and there will be no fuss...

Welcome to the club. Happy for you that you love it :)

Last edited:
Shortened my barrel on my CZ 416, Victor. If you need some info, feel free to drop me a message. Fitted an RMR red dot. Great combo.

Fantastic :). Got a few questions for you, will PM

Well after all the calibre questions, battling with the police and finally coming up with a load for my Rigby, I took it to the range for the first time today. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing, it's a big old cartridge!

After the first shot I was left wondering what all the fuss is about?! I guess the huge Pachmayr Decelerator pad fitted to the Armid stocked CZ makes quite a difference, but it's a long way from being the worst gun I've ever fired. I didn't manage to shoot groups with it as stupidly I managed to leave all my gongs and targets at home, but shooting it free hand at bottles of water was quite entertaining and did a lot to build my confidence with the gun.

A few of the guys at the range shot it and we had a very enjoyable time. I think now would be a good time to buy a scope for it and get that set up, so next time I can settle down on the sticks and really see how accurate it is. I need to give the trigger some attention as it's a bit creepy for accurate shooting, but I believe that's a fairly simple process? With the set trigger I was able to let the round off just when I wanted but without setting it things are a bit harder to judge.

Told you it wasn't a problem :D. Now you just need to get on a plane and fly south so you can use it on something proper.....;)

Just curious, what kind of fps are you getting now?

Not sure as I didn't get a chance to check it. Book data suggests somewhere around 2200fps. The Lee book says 87gr for 2161fps, but doesn't list barrel length. As mine's 25" I don't suppose it would be much longer than that?

I really like your opening post for this thread.
You kinda remind me of a "Good Olde Boy" from the old country - no offense meant, and I hope none taken.
Glad you are enjoying the rifle.

No offence taken at all. I guess I am a bit like that. Not too old yet but I write that way. I try to put things down not only to say what I'm thinking, but so they offer good information to others who may read the post later and are looking for reassurance!

I was quite nervous when I shot it for the first time. As it turned out the worst gun I've ever shot was still a little light weight .270... I hated that rifle!

Glad you christened the rifle!

Not sure as I didn't get a chance to check it. Book data suggests somewhere around 2200fps. The Lee book says 87gr for 2161fps, but doesn't list barrel length. As mine's 25" I don't suppose it would be much longer than that?

No offence taken at all. I guess I am a bit like that. Not too old yet but I write that way. I try to put things down not only to say what I'm thinking, but so they offer good information to others who may read the post later and are looking for reassurance!

I was quite nervous when I shot it for the first time. As it turned out the worst gun I've ever shot was still a little light weight .270... I hated that rifle!
You might want to invest in a chronometer as (per a previous post) I worked up to 2300 fps; my minimum. I truly noticed a difference in the kick, but doable! Have to have that velocity to take advantage of the 400 grn AFrame and I'm guessing you will want something similar for your set up.

Njc, QuickLoad says 2193 FPS for your 91 Gr. Load of RL- 22. For what it is worth, you can get a bit better than 2400 FPS with a max load of 101.8 Gr of RL - 22. Start off a bit lower than that of course and check for pressure signs as you work up. I have no way of knowing if this is an accurate load or not.

The club I'm in has a chronograph, so that's easy to do. Yesterday was just an initial chuck a few shots down it day to see how it handled, next month I will hopefully be a bit more organised and can load a variety of charges to test properly.

Shootist, thanks for the Quickload data. It seems charge weights vary a little depending on source and to some degree the rifle will tell me where it's happy anyway. Those are good reference points though, thank you.

It's good to hear the higher charges will give me a little bit more recoil. Just what I wanted! :Dead:

It's good to hear the higher charges will give me a little bit more recoil. Just what I wanted! :Dead:

Regarding load vs. recoil, the rule is simple: everything else being equal a 10% increase in ejecta velocity equates to a 20% increase in recoil. Going from ~2,220 to ~2,300 fps will likely not be markedly different from a recoil perspective (+10%).

By the way, the same rule applies to projectile weight. A 10% increase in ejecta weight (~10% heavier bullet) at the same velocity will increase recoil by 20% all other things being equal.

When people get a shock, quite literally AND figuratively, is when they increase both bullet weight and velocity each by 10%. That gives them a bewildering 40% increase in recoil. THAT, you will notice :E Rofl:

Imagine the bewilderment of the chap starting cautiously with 350 gr at 2,100 fps and leaping enthusiastically for the next session to 410 gr at 2,400 fps: + 17% weight and + 15% velocity = +64% recoil :whistle:

Last edited:
Regarding load vs. recoil, the rule is simple: everything else being equal a 10% increase in ejecta velocity equates to a 20% increase in recoil. Going from ~2,220 to ~2,300 fps will likely not be markedly different from a recoil perspective (+10%).

By the way, the same rule applies to projectile weight. A 10% increase in ejecta weight (~10% heavier bullet) at the same velocity will increase recoil by 20% all other things being equal.

That's it, I'm off to buy some 300gr Barnes! :whistle:

I'll work it up slowly. Joking aside it was pretty manageable if a little thumpy at start load. Nothing to lose sleep over. I actually debated whether to have a shot at it prone but thought better of it in the end. I'll zero off of quad sticks, they're nearly as stable as a bipod as long as it's not too windy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois