Sharing my daughter's success

IMG_2453.JPG
To one and all... thank you for the many kind words. She's still floating. And after today she's got another reason to smile. We went back out to resume our search for caribou, and found them. She now has her first caribou as well. 170 ranged yards, and a single shot... the same rig and load as the bear. She had a very memorable 48 hours. I could not be more proud.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited:
Good for her! It's not the trophy that the bear is, but that's not what it's all about. I'm sure she'll remember these last couple days forever. I'm so happy for you to be able to share this with your daughter. Have a great time in Africa!

What a FANTASTIC double.. Congrats to her!!
She will be a huge success here in Africa...

Amazing start to a long life of hunting! Congratulations and may you enjoy so many more days in the field with her.

What a great trophy!! Bear no less!! WOW!! Congratulations to both the young lady, and her proud father!! (y)

Wow congrats!! Looks like one happy camper!!!

Awesome. Great to have the next generation ready to take over. Congratulations to her! You can be very proud.

WOW! What awesome first big game! Not sure she will ever be able to top that brownie! You are bringing her up right! Great job!
Congratulations to the young huntress on her successes!

It has been a blessing to see her rewarded. She's always been a hard worker with a happy outlook... but sometimes impatient (a teen? go figure). We've been on a few fall caribou hunts and just haven't been able to put it together, so the last 48 hours have been very welcome. Also, the last year and a half was a wash. She broke her foot and leg (the foot basically had to be rebuilt), and tore her ACL. She's been through a lot of rehab and just got the green light to start riding her snowmachine a few weeks back.

For those saying she's ready for Africa... I think she is. I sure hope we get that chance. I have zero hesitation about getting on a plane and traveling. I hope we're able to with all the craziness over the corona virus.

What a weekend. You are obviously the all star PH/Dad!

And thank you for the kind words from everyone about dad's role. ;) I know I'm just doing what all of you would do and many of you have done oodles of times with your kids. It sure is one the best feelings in the world I have ever felt.

Quite a couple days of hunting! Congrats to your daughter!!

Congrats to your daughter having shot 2 fine animals. That big bear, being her first big game animal, and her first caribou, each with one great shot, with dad's reloads, and dad as her guide, will be every lasting shared memories.

You taught her well, Dad. That girl can shoot. She's ready for anything.

Wow, and many of us may never see a bear! But I want too, that’s so cool.
The Muddy Girl stock will be easy to find in that cold cold snow, something else I have never seen. Mmm, can I hunt a bear where it is not freezing?
@Tundra Tiger what is the scope? My wife has 2 colour coded rifles just because.

The scope is really not anything special. It's a Weaver I picked up on eBay. I had some questions about it at first, but it's held up well at the range, and it did right fine on the bear and caribou. The rifle was a .243. When we decided we were going to Africa I picked up a used .308 of the same model for a very low price and swapped out the action and barrel so she could stay with the look that makes her happy.

The scope is really not anything special. It's a Weaver I picked up on eBay. I had some questions about it at first, but it's held up well at the range, and it did right fine on the bear and caribou. The rifle was a .243. When we decided we were going to Africa I picked up a used .308 of the same model for a very low price and swapped out the action and barrel so she could stay with the look that makes her happy.
Good thinking on swapping the barreled action over.
The scope looks cool. Like suits for a girl and Weaver should be reliable. With young eyes she will be fine. Just dont let her look through an expensive scope as she might see the difference in clarity and brightness ive only got better scopes from age 40 onwards but my eyes need help.
Good luck to her in Africa.

What did she think of the difference between the .243 and the .308?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg