Recoil Insights

Any of you guys try using Shock Eater. I bought one at the Harrisburg PA show for use with my .500 NE. Really helps! ShockEater.com

Any of you guys try using Shock Eater. I bought one at the Harrisburg PA show for use with my .500 NE. Really helps! ShockEater.com

Did you get the slip on pad or the vest insert? Is it gel like or something else?

Did you get the slip on pad or the vest insert? Is it gel like or something else?
I got the vest insert, it is a gel.

I am not American and therefore I never had the privilege to hunt turkeys ( although , I certainly aspire to do so ... some day soon ) . Thus , I know practically nothing about hunting turkeys and have a small question . I often see many American brand shot guns getting imported in to Bangladesh , which utilize a very particular choke , called " Turkey Choke " . Would any of you gentlemen happen to know what a turkey choke really is ?

I am not American and therefore I never had the privilege to hunt turkeys ( although , I certainly aspire to do so ... some day soon ) . Thus , I know practically nothing about hunting turkeys and have a small question . I often see many American brand shot guns getting imported in to Bangladesh , which utilize a very particular choke , called " Turkey Choke " . Would any of you gentlemen happen to know what a turkey choke really is ?
They are even a bit tighter than a full choke. Somewhere around 0.060" constriction for most I have seen.

They are even a bit tighter than a full choke. Somewhere around 0.060" constriction for most I have seen.
Thank you so much , Cagkt3 . Am I to understand , then.... that most turkeys are taken at long ranges ( hence the right choke ) ?

I'm only a casual turkey hunter so hope others will chime in to correct me if needed, but most folks are aiming for the head/neck so the tighter pattern helps get more shot on target. Below is a image of a target I took off a google search - many folks use similar targets to pattern their shotguns with a particular brand of shell and a particular choke, looking for the right combination. I would say 45-50 yds would be a fairly long shot.

5653259813_48f4aa5755.jpg

Attachments

• 5653259813_48f4aa5755.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only a casual turkey hunter so hope others will chime in to correct me if needed, but most folks are aiming for the head/neck so the tighter pattern helps get more shot on target. Below is a image of a target I took off a google search - many folks use similar targets to pattern their shotguns with a particular brand of shell and a particular choke, looking for the right combination. I would say 45-50 yds would be a fairly long shot.

That's a pretty accurate description. Well done!

Major Khan,
Here is the Texas solution for a turkey gun;

Savage 24 T with .22 Hornet barrel over a 3 inch 12 gauge. The turkey svcpe has cross hairs and a circle which is used to estimate range for determining which barrel to fire. The Hornet is good out to about 150 yards, but most of my shots have been less than that.
I shopped for and bought this rig after many frustrations when a gobbler with hens would not leave them and come to my call. Now I take it to them!
It also serves as a close range prairie dog rifle.

Attachments

• 52027_600x400.jpg
    52027_600x400.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Back a few years ago... wait... I guess it was a few decades ago.... I was a rabid waterfowl hunter. My death ray load consisted of a 2 3/4” shell I loaded with 1.75 oz of #5 lead, shot thru a Mod choke. Then we switched to steel and the bird that should have folded on one shot above the decoys suddenly needed 2-3 round with too many birds limping over the horizon.
I followed expert advise, increased shot size, ultimately to #2, and eventually bought a 3 1/2” pump gun that was SURE to be a slaying machine.

Eventually I did figure out steel.... sort of.

I was a pretty lean but stout fellow at that time (220lbs of blued twisted steel is what I tell the grand kids!). But the first time I touched off that shoulder fired mortar at overhead geese......whew, it still brings tears to my eyes!

Major Khan,
Here is the Texas solution for a turkey gun;

Savage 24 T with .22 Hornet barrel over a 3 inch 12 gauge. The turkey svcpe has cross hairs and a circle which is used to estimate range for determining which barrel to fire. The Hornet is good out to about 150 yards, but most of my shots have been less than that.
I shopped for and bought this rig after many frustrations when a gobbler with hens would not leave them and come to my call. Now I take it to them!
It also serves as a close range prairie dog rifle.
That is a magnificent looking combination gun , CRS . What is the choke level on the 12 Bore barrel ?

Back a few years ago... wait... I guess it was a few decades ago.... I was a rabid waterfowl hunter. My death ray load consisted of a 2 3/4” shell I loaded with 1.75 oz of #5 lead, shot thru a Mod choke. Then we switched to steel and the bird that should have folded on one shot above the decoys suddenly needed 2-3 round with too many birds limping over the horizon.
I followed expert advise, increased shot size, ultimately to #2, and eventually bought a 3 1/2” pump gun that was SURE to be a slaying machine.

Eventually I did figure out steel.... sort of.

I was a pretty lean but stout fellow at that time (220lbs of blued twisted steel is what I tell the grand kids!). But the first time I touched off that shoulder fired mortar at overhead geese......whew, it still brings tears to my eyes!
My friend to my SBE2 goose hunting with 3 1/2" #2 loads.
He goes a slim 240# and said absolutely nothing about the recoil.
I tried it once...once was enough.

I have a Benelli SBE2 that weighs about 7.5# with a rail and micro red dot.
It's my turkey gun and was a PITA to pattern from the bench.
I tried the 3.5" shells, but couldn't handle the recoil...it was just too much for me.
Found some really good 3" shells that pattern very well.

Compared to my (recently sold) CZ550 375H&H, no contest...I rather shoot the rifle.
The shotgun, even with just 3" shells, is right on the border of too much for me.
I'm fine for hunting, but forget doing the bench without a Lead Sled.

I’ve got an old Benelli Nova 12 ga pump. It’s light and with a 3.5” shell you better have a shoulder pad on. I’ve dislocated my right shoulder a number of times over the years and I could feel it trying to come out again the one time I put a 3.5 through that gun. Went down to a 3” and that was doable, but never again with a 3.5”.

A moderate load in my 11 lb CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery

Jamison Brass
570g Barnes TSX
103g H4895
Federal 215 primer
2300 fps (chrono'd)

recoil: 96.13 ft lbs

A stiffer load but still well within pressure limits

Jamison Brass
570g Barnes TSX
124g IMR 4350
Federal 215 primer
2510 fps (chrono'd)

recoil: 120.58 ft lbs

So yes those turkey loads will clear out your sinuses, especially compared to those medium bore rifles lol :)

I have a Benelli SBE2 that weighs about 7.5# with a rail and micro red dot.
It's my turkey gun and was a PITA to pattern from the bench.
I tried the 3.5" shells, but couldn't handle the recoil...it was just too much for me.
Found some really good 3" shells that pattern very well.

i too have a benelli SBE, was patterning 3 and 3.5" shells with dead coyote, #4 buck and 00 buck, fired 18 times to pattern 2 different chokes, it was horrible. by shot 15 i was having to do some real jedi crap in my head to make my trigger finger pull off the shot!! don't know the recoil level, i suspect it hovered right around HIDEOUS!!!

i too have a benelli SBE, was patterning 3 and 3.5" shells with dead coyote, #4 buck and 00 buck, fired 18 times to pattern 2 different chokes, it was horrible. by shot 15 i was having to do some real jedi crap in my head to make my trigger finger pull off the shot!! don't know the recoil level, i suspect it hovered right around HIDEOUS!!!
Glad I only had to pattern one.
Using Winchester Long Beard XR 3", 4 shot.
26" barrel with Carlson's Long Beard Turkey Choke.
It's a killer for sure...as soon as I get one close enough. :(

It is a more constricted size than full choke with a lengthened forcing cone which is why they are necessarily longer and extend several inches out of the end of the barrel.

Thank you so much , Cagkt3 . Am I to understand , then.... that most turkeys are taken at long ranges ( hence the right choke ) ?
Not so much at longer ranges as most turkeys are taken at under 40 meters but the target is small. Aiming at a turkeys head 2 inches wide by maybe 5 inches long. About like trying to hit a small bird with enough pellets to kill it.

This thread perfectly explains why I am not bothered by medium bore rifles. I grew up throwing 1 ounce slugs about 437 grains at 1500 to 1700 fps out of a 7 pound shotgun at whitetail deer. After that a 35 Whelen seemed downright tame.

This thread perfectly explains why I am not bothered by medium bore rifles. I grew up throwing 1 ounce slugs about 437 grains at 1500 to 1700 fps out of a 7 pound shotgun at whitetail deer. After that a 35 Whelen seemed downright tame.
Me too. All my friends ask if my 375 kicks bad, I say not as bad as a slug gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!