Recoil Insights

This thread perfectly explains why I am not bothered by medium bore rifles. I grew up throwing 1 ounce slugs about 437 grains at 1500 to 1700 fps out of a 7 pound shotgun at whitetail deer. After that a 35 Whelen seemed downright tame.

Strangely enough I never thought that slugs kicked all that bad. In fact, my browning gold is almost a pussycat with 3" sabots. I know semi-auto's soak up some recoil but it's still a 3" shell. The turkey loads were the ones I never enjoyed testing.

I am not American and therefore I never had the privilege to hunt turkeys ( although , I certainly aspire to do so ... some day soon )

You really should try to get over here to try it. To me there is nothing like a spring morning in Illinois walking through the dewey grass just before dawn on the edge of a corn field or cow pasture. A big tom or two gobbling their hens awake in the distance. It's such a sharp contrast to fall hunting. Grass greening, trees blooming, birds of all sorts migrating north who seem happier than when they had to go south, strong warm morning sunshine. A tom turkey in full strut with feathers gleaming is a beautiful thing. The strategy of it is also fun since turkeys more often than not give away their position all by themselves or are easily coaxed into it with your calls. You can then make a plan for ambush or a setup to call them in. As a bonus, whether you kill a bird or not you can spend the afternoon hunting morels.

I think I just realized I enjoyed turkey hunting more than deer hunting. I wish I still lived down there as I'd be more than happy to take you around.

I’ve got an old Benelli Nova 12 ga pump. It’s light and with a 3.5” shell you better have a shoulder pad on. I’ve dislocated my right shoulder a number of times over the years and I could feel it trying to come out again the one time I put a 3.5 through that gun. Went down to a 3” and that was doable, but never again with a 3.5”.

A Nova was my first turkey set up. After shooting a couple 3.5" turkey loads I also went down to 3". Then I added the recoil reducer in the stock. Then I got rid of that gun and purchased a Beretta Xtrema and have not be disappointed with that choice. A 3.5" turkey load in a pump shotgun isn't fun to shoot! In my view much worse than my 375 H&H will full power loads. The Xtrema is much softer shooting that the Nova, even with the Nova recoil reducer installed.

You really should try to get over here to try it. To me there is nothing like a spring morning in Illinois walking through the dewey grass just before dawn on the edge of a corn field or cow pasture. A big tom or two gobbling their hens awake in the distance. It's such a sharp contrast to fall hunting. Grass greening, trees blooming, birds of all sorts migrating north who seem happier than when they had to go south, strong warm morning sunshine. A tom turkey in full strut with feathers gleaming is a beautiful thing. The strategy of it is also fun since turkeys more often than not give away their position all by themselves or are easily coaxed into it with your calls. You can then make a plan for ambush or a setup to call them in. As a bonus, whether you kill a bird or not you can spend the afternoon hunting morels.

I think I just realized I enjoyed turkey hunting more than deer hunting. I wish I still lived down there as I'd be more than happy to take you around.
What part did you live in? I’m in Pike.

What part did you live in? I’m in Pike.

Henderson county. Stronghurst. I hunted down along the river north of Lomax and around Stronghurst. I had permission to a property that had a big creek running through it called Honey Creek. My buddies place on the river had the same creek bordering his property.

Come fall and of course spring I really start to miss living there. I'm sure you know why. I have a bunch of family around Macomb as well. Drop dead gorgeous country in that neck of the woods. I really miss the hardwood bottoms in the fall. Can't help but think I might move back someday or maybe just somewhere similar. I don't think I want to move too close to my old home.

Regards

We used to play Macomb in football.
I agree this is some lovely land. I’ve never lived anywhere else for comparison though.

I would consider it to be an utmost privilege to be able to hunt with a fine gentle man ... such as yourself , CJW .I visit America , usually once every 3 or 4 years . I spend most of my time around Wisconsin . However , I do travel to the other states , as well. I would bring my " Old Belgian " for the purposes of hunting turkeys with you , CJW . The left barrel is fully choked .
FB_IMG_1575727188171.jpg

Should you ever find yourself visiting Bangladesh... Know that you have a standing offer to hunt our famous Greylag Geese , with me .
IMG-53568a2a64d04774c6a775f439812bac-V.jpg

Reactions: CJW
Ive gone to a 20ga with tungsten shot for turkeys. Not because of recoil but weight of the gun. I was tired of toting a heavy 12 ga.

For turkey hunting stalk/call method is strongly discouraged in Washington State. It was determined to be very hazardous. the turkey hunters that I know use a blind where the turkey comes in to them. that way you don't get two hunters sneaking up on each other thinking the other is a turkey. Although there is something strange about taking a small house (tent) that functions as a blind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!