Problems with CZ 550 Safari

tucker

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 458 Lott and looking at the CZ 550 and hearing about problems with them, what are the main problems with this rifle??

timbear

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA, NZDA
Hunted
Germany, NZ, Australia
Buy it, shoot it, love it...no problem!:huntingrifle:

JacoS

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, PHASA, IPHA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
Out of te box reliability, probably the best working rifle out there today, buy it shoot it you'll be happy, I agree 100% Sometimes the actions can be a bit "tight" but working it of by hand or taking it to a gunsmith to smoothen a bit is a minor. I have 2 love'em :rockon:
:rockon::clapping:

My best always

Nyamazana Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2016
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.nyamazanasafaris.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB ,ZIMBABWE PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS AND GUIDES. SCI.
Hunted
TANZANIA ,ZIMBABWE , NEW ZEALAND , USA, SOUTH AFRICA
Hi Tucker, I have just finished a safari with Jason Morton from CZ and Petersens hunting (Kevin Steele) Jason used a 458 Lott CZ 550, and it is a great rifle , very good for big game , I myself use a 458 Lott and my 375 is a CZ as well, I can vouch that they are good reliable rifles and you will get the same experience out of them, by far they are great value for money spent on them.

Jason dropped his Bull Elephant at 40yards with his 458 Lott CZ and shooting open sights.

Happy hunting.

Wayne
Out of te box reliability, probably the best working rifle out there today, buy it shoot it you'll be happy, I agree 100% Sometimes the actions can be a bit "tight" but working it of by hand or taking it to a gunsmith to smoothen a bit is a minor. I have 2 love'em :rockon:
:rockon::clapping:

My best always

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Have to agree with the posters above. Great valued rifles. Some need minor work on the feeding, but otherwise you can't go wrong.

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
I bought a CZ 550 American in 375 H&H for my first Cape Buffalo. Worked great and shot great with Federal 300 grain. Dropped the buff with one shot - went about 40 yards. Never had any problems and would highly recommend the CZ. The set trigger was great for sighting in at the range - that way I knew the rifle, scope and ammo were on. Then, any misses were me not the equipment. Less than 1" groups at 100 yds on bench.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
I bought a CZ 550 American in 375 H&H for my first Cape Buffalo. Worked great and shot great with Federal 300 grain. Dropped the buff with one shot - went about 40 yards. Never had any problems and would highly recommend the CZ. The set trigger was great for sighting in at the range - that way I knew the rifle, scope and ammo were on. Then, any misses were me not the equipment. Less than 1" groups at 100 yds on bench.

I agree. My CZ .375 shoots 3 leaf clovers at 110 yds. Very accurate rifle if you give it the right combinations to work with.

Bos en Dal Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
bosendal.co.za
Media
Member of
PHASA, SA Hunter & Conservation
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana
Just bought myself a brand new .375 from CZ safari magnum, took delivery of the rifle a month ago! on the first five shots it was like a dream. everything worked well.
From then on it still shoots great but my hair trigger is experiencing problems. When i activate it (by pushing the trigger forward) and i fire the shot, the firing pin releases in the bolt but the shot does not go off. thus i need to pull it again on standard trigger to fire the round.

i am sure this is only a small issue and the rifle is on its way back to the gun shop to be repaired
But i would buy a CZ rifle anytime

BryceM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Namibia
I agree with everything said here. I bought a 550 CZ in .416 Rigby a few years ago. After the first 4 shots it would no longer fire. I shipped it back to the factory and in short order it was repaired. I forget the details but I talked to the techs and they had a reasonable explanation of the problem and a reasonable solution that should forever fix it. Ever since then it has been 100% reliable and I have no reason to doubt it.

It shoots a ragged hole at 100 yards from a leadsled - possibly the most accurate rifle I own. Feeding is slightly rough from the factory, but not bad. If/when I finally decide to chase buffalo it will get a once-over by someone who knows how to make it purr.

For the money, you can't buy a better big-bore rifle.

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hi Tucker, I have just finished a safari with Jason Morton from CZ and Petersens hunting (Kevin Steele) Jason used a 458 Lott CZ 550, and it is a great rifle , very good for big game , I myself use a 458 Lott and my 375 is a CZ as well, I can vouch that they are good reliable rifles and you will get the same experience out of them, by far they are great value for money spent on them.

Jason dropped his Bull Elephant at 40yards with his 458 Lott CZ and shooting open sights.

Happy hunting.

Wayne

Jason & Harland (The CZ Custom Shop) built my 500 Jeffery which I am very happy with. It's my favorite hunting rifle now. Feeds/functions flawlessly, shoots sub-MOA when I do my part. It does tend to kill and clean elk at the same time if you have to take a frontal shot however.

Scott CWO

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
I have a semi-custom CZ .458 Lott that I use as a backup rifle when guiding Brown Bear in AK. I had a client that is a gunsmith put a synthetic stock on it, smooth up the action and feeding a bit, and send it away to be fully coated so as to be weather-proof for AK conditions. I also take the rifle to Africa. It is very accurate and I have experienced none of the set trigger problems described in earlier posts.

The only draw back I have experienced is that it does not like to feed certain blunt or flat-nosed bullets at a high rate of speed. This is common to this rifle and is one thing you do not want in a DG rifle. It will hang up with a flat-nosed bullet like the A-Square 460 grain. The beginning of the barrel chamber is quite sharp on my rifle and will grab a flat-nosed bullet. I got around this by going with a Barnes Triple Shock 500 grain softs and Hornady 500 grain solids. These bullets are more spitzer shaped and I have had zero problems since getting away from flatter bullets. Shoot a spitzer shaped bullet and you should have no problem. I can cycle mine as fast as humanly possible now without any hangups.

I really like the extra large magazine box with 5-6 shots without reloading as the main reason I purchased this rifle. Now that I have figured out the feeding/bullet issue, I love it.

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
my hair trigger is experiencing problems...

Gerrit, I hope you get it sorted out. I personally don't like a set trigger on any hunting rifle, especially a DG rifle, so I had mine all removed and cutomised.

CZ 550 TRIGGER 004.jpg CZ 550 TRIGGER 003.jpg CZ  .375 H+H MAGNUM 006.jpg CZ  .375 H+H MAGNUM 002.jpg

Bos en Dal Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
bosendal.co.za
Media
Member of
PHASA, SA Hunter & Conservation
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana
thanks Docman, Formalito can only take delivery of the rifle next week as they pass the local store in town. My thoughts was to get it repaired under the warranty. Maybe removing the set trigger is the way to go, just to find a gunsmith worth his salt in my area is bit of a problem. Don't like anyone working on my rifles. I am quite particular when it comes to my babies.

But thanks for mentioning i will look into it.

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I had Wayne at AHR do his CZ #1 upgrade on my 500 Jeffery. It includes straighten and fill bolt handle, single stage trigger (a great trigger!) and a 3 position M70 type safety. The best $500 I've ever spent. My 500 Jeffery feeds and functions wonderfully, but like Scott said, you have to make sure it does with the bullet/round you're using. The TSX's feed beautifully as do Barnes Banded Solids, and all of the Woodleigh bullets. I have some 570g A-Frames that don't feed as well (I have no idea why). I'm sure I can have it worked on a bit so they do, but I'm happy with my bullet choices so have no need.

oscar1975

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I still have not used my Ceska 550 Lott 458 Safari Magnum, but I've shot with my Ceska ten cartridges Magnum 550 H & H Magnum 375 without any problems.

Oscar.

Mike70560

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
Oscar,

Where have been hiding? Have not heard from you in a while. Good to see you posting again.

Jaeger717

Reaction score
Media
Love mine in .416 Rigby. So much so that I'm getting ready to follow that up with one in 375H&H then another in .458 Lott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derickbailes

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.