on a lighter note...

not_hungover.jpg

Knew a bloke who fought at Kokoda - the Owen guns apparently made a distinct 'click' when the last round of a magazine was fired. The Japs worked this out and sought to exploit the empty magazine. The developed counter measure was to have a mate waiting nearby with a second Owen, mag fully loaded.

This is a driveline or transmission brake. In the four wheel drive community they are sometimes used as a backup or emergency brake. The reason for being mounted here is if their other brakes fail because a wheel came off taking the hydraulic fluid with it. These braking systems use a hydraulic system (separate from normal braking) calipers or cable with either actuated via pedal or lever. For safety, a cable is preferred.

This is not the best installation, because it is what's called a "pinion brake" being located near the pinion gear. Typically it would be mounted on the outlet side of the transmission to keep it from getting bashed up, however it takes much more skill to do so because clearances to other objects (like the transmission tunnel of the cab) are much tighter in that area. It requires more work, but will result in a better overall installation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?