Old rookie

Xshock2

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

So I'm an old newbie. I'm 44. Been hunting or fishing something since I was 5. I bird hunt, small game, medium and large game. Mostly close to home though. Funding hunts ain't easy when you work in a factory 60 hours a week and raise 3 kids.

Well the kids are all grown up now. I still work 60 hours a week, and the wife has gone to work too!!

I would really like to do all these hunts I dreamed of. SO I AM!!!!

Welcome to AH Xshock2! No need to look further... you found your crowd!

Good for you. This is a place where you can find lots of knowledge & good folks willing to share it with you.

you will have a ball here.

Welcome to AH oldtimer:)

You'll be on your way very soon now that you found AH.

Welcome.

Welcome aboard!

You are hardly old! Good for you for beginning to live out your dreams! What's the first destination to scratch off the bucket list?

You are hardly old! Good for you for beginning to live out your dreams! What's the first destination to scratch off the bucket list?

Well. It will take maybe 2 years to hit Africa. I'm doing the passport stuff now. Then we need to start putting away money and finding a guide.

In the mean time, me and my wife going to Texas in September on a wild hog hunt. Ya know, just to get our feet wet.

It took us two years to plan our first Africa trip and I still remember that excitement! Have a blast (literally) in Texas!

Welcome to AH, check out the deals section, the Rockin G Ranch in the panhandle has a nice hog population and a good deal on pronghorn, besides @gizmo will take care of y'all very well!

Enjoy the site,
Cody

Welcome to AH! Live out those dreams....

Xshock2,

Welcome! I hope you plan on including the wife?? All of the non-hunting things to do and see will be a pleasant surprise for her.

Well the kids are all grown up now. I still work 60 hours a week, and the wife has gone to work too!!

I would really like to do all these hunts I dreamed of. SO I AM!!!!

Good for you!!! I feel the same way. I'm not 'waiting until retirement' to do the things I'd like to do in life.......I've seen too many people who had dreams and 'waited', only to become ill, have a change in job status, or have difficulty living on a fixed income. My in-laws were one of them. They wanted to travel and see the world; then the MIL ended up with breast cancer and heart disease, and the FIL ended up with heart disease and diabetes......spent his "golden years" sitting in his easy chair watching cowboy movies and arguing with his wife. Towards the end, he couldn't even go to his garage and do his wood working, which he loved to do.
I don't plan on ending my life in that fashion.........................

Xshock2,

Welcome! I hope you plan on including the wife?? All of the non-hunting things to do and see will be a pleasant surprise for her.

Absolutely including my wife. She is my best friend, and while she is not into guns or hunting she has a passion for traveling and crafting.

We went on a fishing trip together. I caught my fill of walleye, she enjoyed the view from the boat, did some shopping, and some wonderfull pictures for painting And the like.

We make quite an odd team, but we always have fun together.

Welcome to AH, always a good idea to include your wife on a trip to Africa, she will love it !

Welcome and enjoy the planning. I planned and re-planned for five years. Then, at the DSC auction dinner (a bottle of wine helped) we were the high bidders in 2011 and off to Zimbabwe. We've now gone to New Zealand and go to Mozambique this fall. You will become addicted once you get over there the first time!

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northerngos

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.