Mark Sullivan shows us how to handle a Double Rifle

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by 375 Ruger Fan, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Bert the Turtle

Bert the Turtle AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    If he isn't intentionally provoking charges, he is the unluckiest SOB alive.

His ability to shoot a double accurately, quickly, and to great effect is unquestionable.

While I disagree with considering a dangerous game hunt a battle, that is how he chooses to characterize it, in which case, his tactics suck. Anyone seeking a fair fight in battle is either an idiot or has a death wish.

If in fact he were in battle with the buffalo, he would:

1) Choose to shoot it from as far away as possible where it can't hurt him. Or call in artillery. Or an air strike.

2) Once he has shot it, he would continue to shoot it until it was clearly dead or at least incapacitated. While watching the 3 or 4 minutes of his film that I could tolerate while I was in Africa, I saw him pass up perfectly good shots and basically dick around until the animal finally decided it was preferable to commit suicide by running into Bwana's big double than it was to watch him be a jackass any longer. Can't say I blame the buffalo.

3) Not constantly belittle the armed men around him and/or put their lives in danger with his hero antics. That sort of behavior tends to tends to aggravate the people who he may one day need to rely on to shoot a buffalo off of him. He clearly fancies himself the man in charge of the hunt, the platoon sergeant if you will. He would be more effective in building an effective fighting team if he worked harder to increase the skills, confidence, and abilities of his men and spend less time self-aggrandizing.

BC.Pat, jeff, Royal27 and 1 other person like this.

2. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

So, are you claiming that the 470NE is a better stopper than the .500NE?

matt85 likes this.

3. HeinrichH

HeinrichH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Big Bore Association, PHASA, SAPA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Mozambique
    Goose I was waiting for this one... hahaha

spike.t and KMG Hunting Safaris like this.

4. KMG Hunting Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
  5. HeinrichH

HeinrichH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I knew you couldn't

6. HeinrichH

HeinrichH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    IMG_0496.jpg
    4 7 0-behave

7. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I'm wondering if Mark Sullivan really thinks he is reincarnated from Robert Wilson and all of his clients are named Francis Macomber?

BC.Pat and PHOENIX PHIL like this.

8. matt85

matt85 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, and Namibia
    ah i see your back at the "470 vs 500" thing, only this time your also claiming the 577 NE isn't a sporting arm.

1. the 577 NE wasn't designed for professional hunters to save lives, it was designed for sportsmen and ivory hunters (often the same thing back then) to bring down elephants with greater reliability then the 4 bores and 8 bores used at the time. the 577 NE 3" is a fine choice for any serious dangerous game hunter who isn't afraid of a little recoil.

2. Claiming that one cartridge will out penetrate the other because of .005SD is just silly and in reality you would not likely be able to tell the difference in penetration between the two on game. I'm betting if you fired a 470 into 10 buffalo and a 500 into 10 buffalo in the same place at the same angle, you would have the 500 out penetrate the 470 roughly half the time. I've shown this video before on another thread but ill bring it here as well:

3. as for using lighter bullets, this is not usually an option with double rifles so its not really an argument. your double rifle will be regulated for a single load and for the most part that is all that will work (ex: 500gr at 2150fps). now if your using a single shot rifle like the Ruger's in the video then you will have some wiggle room. however even in a single shot rifle the options for going lighter are EXACTLY THE SAME for the 470 and 500. you can reduce both the .474" and .510" bullets by the same percentage and get the same results, one is not superior to the other in this regard. reduce the bullet weight in both the 470 and the 500 by 25% and you will get roughly the same increase in velocity and the same decrease in SD.

4. the 500 NE will in fact do something the 470 NE cannot do and that is make a bigger hole using the same type of bullet. does this make a big difference... it depends on where your shot lands. if you hit the heart or brain then the hole size probably isn't as important. however if you hit the lungs or arteries above the heart then hole size will determine the distance the animal travels before it expires. but i guarantee when a wounded buffalo is bearing down on you and you've got time to put a single shot into him before hes on top of you that you would prefer a howitzer over your current rifle. when it comes to turning a charge its going to come down to the amount of damage you can inflict in the shortest amount of time. a good example of this would be that my friend @HeinrichH uses soft point bullets to stop charging buffalo.

sorry for the long winded rant! on the topic of Mark Sullivan, i don't have the same hate for him that many others on this forum do. i would not personally hunt with him because i don't like his policy of shooting his clients game. but ive watched some of his videos and will say they can be both entertaining and humorous (his personality whether real or fake is just silly). Mark Sullivan found his niche and did well for himself (hes retired last i checked) and as long as his clients were happy with what they got and how they got it then fine.

-matt

1dirthawker, Royal27, Red Leg and 2 others like this.

9. HeinrichH

HeinrichH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Nice video! So according to that, the 416 and 500 have the best penetration, and the 577 an 470 the same.... interesting.

I prefer using a 500gr swift aframe for charging buffalo, and other dangerous game, except for elephant i use 500gr dzombo solids. I always have one soft and one solid in my double.

BC.Pat and matt85 like this.

10. KMG Hunting Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Not often that you can get both a soft and a solid to regulate high.:ROFLMAO:

jeff and Royal27 like this.

11. HeinrichH

HeinrichH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Hahahaha, jaaaaa Goose

KMG Hunting Safaris likes this.

12. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
  13. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

14. HeinrichH

HeinrichH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thx Gizmo:) my finger was itching

matt85 and gizmo like this.

15. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    It happens

HeinrichH likes this.

16. HeinrichH

HeinrichH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    He was so close, if he sneezed i would have lit him up..... hahaha

gizmo likes this.

17. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Great pic. I wish I would have gotten the opportunity to get a similar pic during my buff hunt. I was that close but the bush was so thick I could barely see much less get a pic. I soooo want to hunt buff again. I was so surprised at how weary buff really are. They're every bit as flighty as a whitetail deer. At least in the very limited experience I have. We hunted buff in two separate herds on two different places and both wouldn't stick around to see what was going to happen next when we got in close. A twig snap or wind shift and it was over. Then back to walking. What a great animal to hunt though. So challenging

DWB, matt85 and HeinrichH like this.

18. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    oddly though it greatly depended on where we caught them. After my buff hunt when we'd catch them at a water hole they certainly wouldn't move off of it. Quite the opposite actually they would push us and it was obvious their demeanor was toltaly different then.

19. HeinrichH

HeinrichH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    We have that discussion often, and we always joke by saying the can smell the gun oil....hahah

matt85 and gizmo like this.

20. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Is Heinrich actually Austin Powers?

HeinrichH, gizmo and Royal27 like this.