Mark Sullivan shows us how to handle a Double Rifle

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by 375 Ruger Fan, Feb 4, 2017.

1. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
    Cal, perhaps the video posted is not the best example of how Mark hunts. It certainly seemed like he was inviting a charge rather than putting in an anchoring shot - but I am novice when it comes to hunting dangerous game. If this is not how Mark truly is, than I apologize. That was really my main issue with his methods. I have no problem whatsoever with him backing up clients, going in after wounded animals, preferring close quarters and doubles vs scoped rifles, etc.

On a lighter note, I'll be up in your neck of the woods in a couple weeks - 7 days stuck on a cruise ship hitting various stops, then 4 days in a lodge near Cooper Landing. Really looking forward to it!

2. cal pappas

cal pappas CONTRIBUTOR AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I'm north of Anchorage by 100 miles. If you are in the area, stop by and see a few nice doubles. Much of what Mark does is for the "wow" factor. I works! In person he is a soft spoken gent. He like the charge, no doubt, but has had very few in all of his years. All that he does has been magnified by those that spew hate. Anyway, I will be out of state June 13 to 19. Other than those dates, call and stop by if you can.
    Cal

3. cagkt3

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I would love to see some doubles! So far I've been restricted to online images!

4. cal pappas

Video/Photo:
    When will you be on the area? I'm a 4-hour drive north of Cooper Landing. As mentioned, I will be gone June 13 to 19, and then in Zimbabwe July 5 to 28th. My email is <pappas@mtaonline.net> and we can char further and make a plan.
    Cal

5. cal pappas

Video/Photo:
    Right now I have two black powder doubles for sale, a 10-bore shotgun, and a .375 bolt rifle from Cogswell and Harrison dating to 1926. I have a dozen doubles I shoot almost daily from .350 Rigby no2 up to 600 in the nitro calibers and .500 up to 4-bore in the black powder cartridge doubles.
    Cal

Hoss Delgado likes this.

6. cagkt3

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I think we dock at seward and drive over on the 23rd of june. Don't think we'll have a free day to make the trip up (we have some hiking and fishing planned), but I really appreciate the offer. I'm definitely planning on returning to Alaska - it's been a dream destination for me and my wife for a while now

7. crs

crs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
    Hunted:
    RSA
    Cal,
    Thank you for contributing.

8. cal pappas

Video/Photo:
    For yourself and anyone here, our next Alaska double rifle shoot is May 5, 2018. Everyone is welcome, we feed you, and you can look at and shoot 40-50 fine vintage doubles.
    Cal

Royal27 likes this.

9. crs

crs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
    Hunted:
    RSA
    Thanks, May should be a good time to be up your way, but then Africa should be OK then also.
    Tomorrow, my son and I are driving to Action Outdoors Adventures exotic ranch at Hondo to blast some exotics and eat some good BBQ and steak.
    Nilgai with my DR is what I want and if successful, I will make a few posts.

10. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    I have never met Mark Sullivan but have seen a couple of his videos. I agree with most of the posters based on the videos. He is somewhat weird and full of himself based on those videos. But I have been fortunate to meet Cal Pappas and have the utmost respect for him. So if he says that Sullivan is truly a standup guy, shooter and hunter, that is the opinion I will hold until Sullivan proves otherwise! Not likely though I will ever meet him in person.

cagkt3 likes this.

11. cal pappas

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I have only hunted Tanzania once (2006) and on a retired teacher's income that will be my only year to do so.
    I had dinner with Mark a few weeks ago and learned he is moving out of Tanzania to other ventures, including guiding for bear here in Alaska, buffalo guiding in South Africa, and mule deer guiding in Mexico. Over dinner (after bear season closed) I showed Mark three of my doubles and talked of hunting buffalo in South Africa in 2018 with my vintage John Wilkes .600 nitro express. The property Mark hunts is approximately 14,000 acres--enough to hunt without seeing the border fence. (I have hunted ranches a bit smaller in both SA and Zimbabwe and one won't see a fence whilst hunting on foot. It should be fun!
    Cal

12. jand

jand AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SA Hunters , Lowveld Hunters , BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa , Zimbabwe , Botswana , Mozambique , Tanzania , Scotland , France , Belgium , USA
    I met Mark back in the days when he was still exhibiting in Reno at SCI. I had a booth diagonally across from him. As is usual with exhibitors one is there early at your booth getting ready for the day. This left some time everyday to chat to him.
    I found him extremely friendly and courteous , well and soft spoken. Threw me off at first actually. Lol.
    When the doors opened for the show , there was a clear " gearing up " in his attitude and he went into " Black death " mode , for lack of a better word. This is what sells the brand that he created. And he did sell. His booth was the busiest booth there. Even some outfitters and hunters alike whom I have heard bad mouthing him were sneaking in and buying DVD's . :rolleyes:

Philip Glass likes this.

13. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Well I hope you found the bino harness you like! I'm a fan of Rick Young's bino harness.
    Regards,
    Philip

Royal27 likes this.

14. cagkt3

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Haha, yeah it took a little while after this sidetrack. I'm going to try the RY and the FHF model rookhawk likes. I've never had a harness before - where I've hunted in OK and TX was done out of ground blinds/treestands/elevated box blinds, so not much need for a harness. Now that I plan to hunt Africa, plus hopefully some free-range elk and mule deer hunting, I see the need for a good harness.

Thanks for the recommendation Philip!

Philip Glass likes this.