Knives... do you carry one?

When not hunting, I carry a Cold Steel Ti-lite or an Emerson Commander. Both are good for personal defense if needed. Not great for hunting.

When hunting, I carry a Schrade Old Timer with stag bone handle. Don't laugh. It is the best hunting knife I've ever had. Holds a wicked edge, easy to sharpen if needed and doesn't cost much. Even has the old fashioned leather sheath with sharpener pouch. I don't hunt without this knife.

I always have at least two knives, my main carry and one I can loan if someone asks me if I have a knife they can use/borrow, (anybody that doesn't carry a knife is not getting one of my good knifes).
Here is what I usually have:
2 knives in my truck that stay there at all times - a Swiss Army and a fixed blade;
3 in my backpack which I usually have with me in the field and some other times as well - a Leatherman, Buck folder, and a fixed blade; and
always in my pocket a folding knife with a Marlin Spike and sometimes a small folding knife in the other pocket.
If I'm going in the field, I'll add a fixed blade on my belt.

Want to hear the funny part? I hardly ever use a knife

Blade E.D.C. when out hunting/camping.......
A small ,strong, sharp fixed blade [with 3 x fire systems-just in case....]
A P4 multi-tool.
Never needed much more blade than this.
A good [folding-] saw is also more handy than an ax in the dry African mostly hardwood conditions.

250215150_402230904741652_7500367125700323453_n.jpg

I do not carry a knife. Just ask me for one. You'll immediately find it to be true. However there are instances of Divine Providence when I am mysteriously gifted with a knife in my hour of need by God. Afterward, I give thanks and it miraculously disappears again.

When someone asks, "Do you have a knife?" It is the most horrifying sound that can come out of a man's mouth. All at once it tells you so very much. He is unprepared. He is decidedly untrustworthy with and unworthy of your knife. He is probably not asking for the right tool for the job. He is definitely not going to return the edge in good condition. He will probably drop it and if at all possible in a place where it is unrecoverable or he is disinclined to engage in its recovery. For these reasons, I cannot carry a knife, lest I should be committed to aiding and abetting the helplessness which is a man without a knife.

I do not have a particular preference in the knife I don't carry, but if I did it might have two edges and be politically incorrect.

I find it useful to include a knife in my Every Day Carry (EDC) items whether I'm at work or off and around town, and especially when I'm in the field.

During my trip to RSA last year, I did carry a knife to the field and used it a few times, but as expected, the staff performed all the skinning activities. Of course, when I am in the field or around camp during an elk or deer hunt, I use a knife quite often.

My question, do you carry a knife and if so, when, where and which one?

Here's what I carry when not at work, but not in the field...
View attachment 53144
Beautiful knife!

I do not carry a knife. Just ask me for one. You'll immediately find it to be true. However there are instances of Divine Providence when I am mysteriously gifted with a knife in my hour of need by God. Afterward, I give thanks and it miraculously disappears again.

When someone asks, "Do you have a knife?" It is the most horrifying sound that can come out of a man's mouth. All at once it tells you so very much. He is unprepared. He is decidedly untrustworthy with and unworthy of your knife. He is probably not asking for the right tool for the job. He is definitely not going to return the edge in good condition. He will probably drop it and if at all possible in a place where it is unrecoverable or he is disinclined to engage in its recovery. For these reasons, I cannot carry a knife, lest I should be committed to aiding and abetting the helplessness which is a man without a knife.

I do not have a particular preference in the knife I don't carry, but if I did it might have two edges and be politically incorrect.
I lost a Buck 110 that I had carried for 6 years, to a man who didn’t carry a knife. He borrowed it to open a bag of ammonium sulfate, then left it on the cab of his sprayer.

At the entrance to the annual weapons exhibition, I pass the control. In front of the metal detector frame, I put keys, a watch and an ordinary knife on the table, this one.
20211031_232154.jpg

Security advises: "hide the knife and don't show it - you can't actually come here with a weapon. Okay, thanks! I go inside, walk through the rows, buy reindeer sausage, check the price of knives, then buy a knife blade
20211031_233304.jpg

and go home with satisfaction.

You might be the "the most interesting man in the world" from the Dos Equis commercial. I can see it now.

I don't always carry a knife...but when I do...I don't.

My EDC vary depending on the dress code. Recently it's been this one, but I have much more discrete ones available as well.
1635713133956.png

As we are not supposed to carry knives here in Australia ( we're still convicts ) I use the little black, cheapo...I've carried a pocket knife since I was old enough to have pockets...its innocent looking enough that it doesn't attract attention.

FLIFqKz.jpg

On job sites, etc. I carry the Stanley and I only recently bought the Havalon ( as yet un-blooded )
When hunting, I have an assortment of skinning knives depending on the game.

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a leatherman wave daily...whether at work or at the house. A good sheath at work and my "ratty old sheath" for house and shop.

I carry a Case pocket knife with me anytime I am hunting. Never know when a knife may be needed.

I lost a Buck 110 that I had carried for 6 years, to a man who didn’t carry a knife. He borrowed it to open a bag of ammonium sulfate, then left it on the cab of his sprayer.
I have a knife that has my name engraved all over it and has one heck of a lanyard on it. It has been stolen once, lost numerous times and always found its way back to me. I am a great deal more careful with it nowadays. I don't want anymore tests of its homeward bound inclinations. Alas I no longer carry it.
You might be the "the most interesting man in the world" from the Dos Equis commercial. I can see it now.

I don't always carry a knife...but when I do...I don't.

My EDC vary depending on the dress code. Recently it's been this one, but I have much more discrete ones available as well.
View attachment 434045
Brother when you've been as maligned by as many knife borrowing male impersonators as I, your knife carrying will become a short conversation indeed.

Have ALWAYS carried a pocket knife- 60+ years. My best friend and I were trading knives back and forth at recess in first grade! How times have changed. :)

My first decent knife was a small Schrade- got when really young. Lost it probably when 15 or 16 years old. Next was a similar pocket folder Case. Wore it out after many years of service and after one refurb at an official Case repair facility. Then picked up two little slim trim used Buck 503 lockbacks. Wore the first one out 3-4 years ago after several years of hard service. Am on the second one now- (pictured)

Buck 503.jpg

Custom knife with Warthog ivory inset and custom 'Warthog' sheath...
[matchbox for scale]

250779588_622487462521673_4751883832402494908_n.jpg

Have ALWAYS carried a pocket knife- 60+ years. My best friend and I were trading knives back and forth at recess in first grade! How times have changed. :)

My first decent knife was a small Schrade- got when really young. Lost it probably when 15 or 16 years old. Next was a similar pocket folder Case. Wore it out after many years of service and after one refurb at an official Case repair facility. Then picked up two little slim trim used Buck 503 lockbacks. Wore the first one out 3-4 years ago after several years of hard service. Am on the second one now- (pictured)

View attachment 434070
I'm guessing you got that ruler in the first grade too.....:whistle:

There is always a Victorinox Tinker in my pocket. Another in the console of both trucks. Feel nekkid if I walk out of the house without it, thus the spares in the trucks.
When hunting, there are usually 3 fixed blades in my pack-a small Schrade caper blade, a drop point of some kind, and the skinning knife I made a decade or two ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you