Knives... do you carry one?

EDC is leatherman skeletool or a folder.

Work is spyderco stretch and a leatherman pst2

Hunting is a fixed blade and leatherman rebar (meat knives and choppers around as well)

Always have various knives around, when hunting in RSA I had my Bark River Bravo 1.25 and leatherman with me 24/7.

Feel naked without a knife around.

I have many knives and tend to carry what ever I deem fit for the job. However I never go anywhere with out my Vicotrinox multi function. I do also make my own knives purely as a hobby and for friends etc. Just finished making this. 4 inch skandi ground blade from o1 tool steel. Bronze hand made bolsters with copper bolts , the scales are Desert Iron wood.
MarkCZ
IMG_0063.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm never without my Leatherman Wave! when hunting I often carry a secondary knife for field dressing animals.

-matt

I am another that carries the leatherman skeletool. I also usually carry extra set of driver bits as well. I can take a part plenty of things with that.

My dad told me never to trust a man that doesn't carry a knife, he told me that when I was five years old when he gave me my first pocket knife!

I carry a knife every day (among other things ) first, it's a tool for my job. Second, why wouldn't you for every day use? I can't think of very many days that have passed that I haven't needed one

Are you above eight years old?

If the answer is yes but you do not have at least a pocket knife then you are basically undressed.

If I did not leave the house with a knife and a ball of twine in my pockets my Grandmother would clip my ear for me!

My EDC is one of two Emersen wave knives. In Africa either a Buck fixed blade or a custom one I bought at SCI awhile ago, I carry a leatherman in my pack for thorns etc... . At home hunting a fixed blade on my belt and 3-4 various knives in my pack. I hate sharpening a knife half way through a Moose.

I just decided to make a new one. Under normal circumstances I carry a field dressing knife that is light to carry, with its main purpose being to gut the animals on the hill. I was given a broken farriers rasp so that was slated to make a skinning knife from.

Still a long way to go though.

Attachments

• Photo2702_zpsgbj640bb.jpg
    Photo2702_zpsgbj640bb.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Photo2714_zps9ayacxov.jpg
    Photo2714_zps9ayacxov.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
In England we can only carry a non-locking folder with up to 3" blade so I have a selection of them and have one in my pocket at all times. Nothing special just working knives.

When hunting I carry a very sharp skinning knife and an AK bayonet. The latter are good cheap knives.

I have soooo many lovely knives. I always carry two on me (1 for protection and one for utility). But for hunting, I have greatly simplified things over the years.

The Leatherman 300 is a true do-anything tool. It can cut like a scalpel, fix a loose action screw, saw through bone or tree branches, cut barbed wire, strip electrical wire, sew up the sidewall of a damaged tire, pull thorns and stingers from skin, sharpen an axe, grind away paint for an emergency weld, and open a beer at the end of the day. It may not look cool, but the 300 tool is the most useful thing an outdoorsman can carry. I have been an avid hunter and off-roader since I was a child, and have seen leatherman tools do it all. I find it odd that very few hunters carry one of these.

Havalon Knives are a real shortcut to the whole game cleaning chore. These knives are light, super cheap, and sharper than my fancy $1000 custom hunting knife could ever hope to be. Replacement blades are very cheap and easy to get. The whole idea was a little hard for most hunters to accept at first (including me), but they have really gained a nice following lately.

Carry a Kershaw folder for every day carry along with a Glock when not at work. Hunting I also use a Havalon but I carry a Busse Active Duty fixed blade because I love the way it feels.

Carry a Kershaw folder for every day carry along with a Glock when not at work. Hunting I also use a Havalon but I carry a Busse Active Duty fixed blade because I love the way it feels.

A Glock, a Busse, a man who knows his tools :A Way To Go:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg