Hello from the UK

NewForester

AH member
Reaction score
Hello from England

I have been deer stalking in the south of UK for the past 10 years, mainly Fallow, Roe and Muntjac.

I bought Dr Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot 2 to understand more about shot placement and the full book, as opposed to the guide, goes into a fair bit of detail about the African animals themselves. (It is quite pricey at £60 but I would really recommend it.) This book has triggered an interest in African hunting and I join this forum to learn more.

I have fired an unmoderated .416 Rigby off sticks and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I am considering putting in a variation, as we call it in the UK, to see if I can get the police to approve me purchasing a .375 H&H. Robertson says the modern 350 grain bullets have taken this old calibre up a division.

I also understand that moderators are usable in South Africa and Namibia. Why don't more people use them for African hunting? I would have thought that they would help reducing all that a recoil. Just about everyone uses moderators in the UK, even down to 6mm. I even have one on my .22.

Anyway, that's me and I look forward to reading about and learning from your experiences.

Chris.

Welcome to AH. MODERATOR or what we call Muzle break produce higher blast and noise which is injurious to hearing conservation. Not only to you but also to the PG , trackers and who ever accompanying you during the hunt. Good luck in your persuit for 375 hh.
Krish

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to AH. I believe the British term "moderator" in this context, is actually a silencer and not a muzzle brake. In the U.S., Silencers are a Federally "controlled" item and not allowed in every state.

Welcome to AH.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH Chris!

Welcome to AH. I believe the British term "moderator" in this context, is actually a silencer and not a muzzle brake. In the U.S., Silencers are a Federally "controlled" item and not allowed in every state.

Yep, that is right. A moderator is a silencer, but it does not silence the sound, just reduce it so ear protection is not needed. A moderator looks like a can on the end of the rifle and makes the rifle look a little ugly and ungainly but it does reduce the sound, and importantly, it reduces the recoil as well.

NewForester, welcome to the AH forum!
I own a couple of suppressors (moderators), but I only take a 375 H& H to Africa. Here in the US it is almost impossible to get suppressors for that large a caliber (at least that I can afford)!
Dr Robertson’s books are excellent! As a veterinarian, he has done many autopsies to quantify what he speaks of.

Welcome to AH. Good luck obtaining a .375. It is an all time classic round that can do it all.

Welcome to AH.

Giday Chris and welcome to the A H forums

New Forester, send "njc110381" (an AH member) a PM through AH to see if he can offer any assistance or advice on obtaining your variation. He recently went through the process himself.

Hello NewForester,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Hi they are illegal in some countries out here...personally dont like the look of them or the I presume encumberance having it stuck on the end of the barrel...and 416 don't need as recoil isn't that bad...just put the synthetic stock I had for ages on my cz550 500 jeff with 20 inch barrel other day..it weighs fraction over 9lbs...was wondering what it would be like...but it was manageable...but compared to it with wooden stock which weighs 10lbs I think.. it was rising too much ..so if in situation where quick second shot needed would be no use...put the wood one back on...but going to see I think the only gunsmith in country about him fitting a recoil reducer in the synthetic stock...if he can that be great as it fits and feels better than the wood one...see if they will give a 416 Rigby on licence....(y):D:D Beers:

Hi Chris, welcome to AH !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg