Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Welcome to AH!

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
Welcome, Chris.....good to have you here. Regarding Moderators.......Well, there is an aesthetic aspect to a rifle or a bow. Never take an ugly girl to The Prom. Hunt safely, have fun, enjoy AH............FWB

Scrumbag

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Welcome on board from another UK hunter!

Uncle Sauce

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
GOA, RMGO, FRGC, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US: CO, ID, MT, NY, OR, VA, WA, WY
Welcome to AH Chris!

Jeff75

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hello from England

I have been deer stalking in the south of UK for the past 10 years, mainly Fallow, Roe and Muntjac.

I bought Dr Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot 2 to understand more about shot placement and the full book, as opposed to the guide, goes into a fair bit of detail about the African animals themselves. (It is quite pricey at £60 but I would really recommend it.) This book has triggered an interest in African hunting and I join this forum to learn more.

I have fired an unmoderated .416 Rigby off sticks and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I am considering putting in a variation, as we call it in the UK, to see if I can get the police to approve me purchasing a .375 H&H. Robertson says the modern 350 grain bullets have taken this old calibre up a division.

I also understand that moderators are usable in South Africa and Namibia. Why don't more people use them for African hunting? I would have thought that they would help reducing all that a recoil. Just about everyone uses moderators in the UK, even down to 6mm. I even have one on my .22.

Anyway, that's me and I look forward to reading about and learning from your experiences.

Chris.
US-based hunters made up a big portion of the overseas trophy hunters in pre-COVID RSA and Namibia. Moderators (aka silencers) are highly restricted in the US. Depending on the state, they are either expensive and a hassle to acquire, or just flatly illegal. However, if you use a rifle provided by your PH, it is very likely to have a moderator.

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
@NewForester Welcome to AH from another brit. I have a 375 and a 416 Rigby double. I wouldn't moderate the 375 it adds far too much bulk and weight to the rifle IMO. I guys your down in the New Forest? If so Put the 375 in for wild boar and they should be ok with it.

PS Once your in the market for one let me know I might be persuaded to part with mine :Arghh:

African Sporting Creations

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
africansportingcreations.com
Media
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Welcome to AH and the posting side Chris! Nice to have you part of our community and enjoy the forum.

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings