Hello from Montana

Photoshooter

Reaction score
Like many here, I have been smitten by the African bug. My name is John Morris and am a 30 year resident in the state of Montana. My hunting roots run deep and culminated as a co-owner of Rocky Mountain Recurves many years ago when my life revolved around building custom bows and big game hunting. Switched gears and have been building custom western hats for the last 24 years at www.rockymountainhatcompany.com.

Two years ago I joined SCI and Africa became #1 on my list to visit. I have now been 3 times this past year for photography and am in the midst of planning my next adventure. Lately I have been focusing more on my photography and video passion and have been dabbling in documenting hunts in Africa. Photo website www.jrmorrisphoto.com.

I've been enjoying all the hunting stories for some time here and finally made the move to join.
Best,
John

gday john , welcome to AH ,
im told Montana is the place to go for an elk hunt ?
looking foreward to seeing your photography and reading of your adventures .
enjoy the site

Welcome to the site John. Please share some photo's when you can!

Welcome!!!

Enjoy the site and you've found the right place as we all like pictures almost as much as hunting! :)

Bluey,

Montana is a great place to elk hunt and you'd absolutely love it. They call it "Big Sky Country" for a reason. The sky is just different there and amazingly beautiful....

Welcome John,

I just got back from your neck of the woods myself. We fly fished the Bitterroot Valley for 3 days.... Montana is a sportsman's paradise. Enjoy the forum!

Attachments

• IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 88
John,
Welcome to AH...

I heard of your hat company...

I will have to bookmark your company, i maybe looking for a new hat, not sure what kind of style to go with or color.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH John! Had a look at both your hats and photography, wow you do things well. Glad you decided to chime in… By the way do you have a booth at SCI?

Welcome John, very pretty place you call home btw!

Welcome to AH, John !

Welcome to AH, John!

Thank you all for the welcome and yes Montana is a great state for hunting and fishing!

Jerome-we no longer do any shows but do attend the SCI convention, just not as a vendor.

Welcome John.
Looked at your web site and I must say your products look like they are worth every penny.
Not only looking like the highest quality but many types and styles to choose from as well.
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH John! You are welcome to contact me for any JV on the documenting and or filming side of things. I am sure, I can connect to to and with some great footage opportunities.

Welcome to AH John! Enjoy the site.

welcome!

Montana is one of, if not the best state! ive seen all but the Dakotas west of the Mississippi and many eastern states! Montana is wonderful! I was there in 09 I think it was. when they first opened the wolf season! unfortunately, I put in a hard weeks hiking, calling and trying to tag a wolf, but had no luck. I hope to come back to your great state again!

enjoy the site, as im also new, I can tell you that there is a ton of information here!

Thanks Velo Dog

Loodt (Tootabi) - Thanks, I will be in touch with you.

Aaron-there are definitely more wolves now. I'll bet you'll have good luck if you give it another go.

Here are a few Cat shots from Kruger and Pilanesberg Parks

15161572170_c66db2c458_z.jpg

15348274315_d99a07a8cd_z.jpg

John, your pictures are truly magnificent! Great gift you have!!!

Times two there, bloke
Love that scarred up old male lion up on top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.