Hello from an Africa dreamer in the uk

Welcome to AH fair warning, have a pic if your you hunt is not the normal!

Hi Phil, I live in Africa and get to enjoy a hunt two or three times a year. You are on the right track with a 375H&H, whatever your choice of rifle, it is a great caliber. You might also consider a scoped sxs double with a QD mount, either in 375H&H or more positive extraction with a 375 Flanged Magnum. There are many reliable ones to choose from, like Chapuis, Merkel, Krieghoff and my own choice Heym. Not only great PG as well as DG rifles, but they exude that Africa feel.
Hi Kevin, I wanted a .375 in a dream of following in the footsteps of capstick and seleous one day. Finally got permission from the police to purchase one. I'm torn between old and new. I've been offered a cogswell and harrison, however there are a few others for sale for similar money. Sako 85, cz550 or the cogswell. Is it just personal preference or will one preform better in your homeland? Africa is my dream hunting.

Loving the site so far. Everyone so welcoming. Tons of information on all aspects of hunting

I am no expert on bolt guns Phil, thats why I steered towards the scoped double. The Sako 85 Barvarian or Hunter is a good looker and my son-in-law has no issues with his. Bit light for 375 H&H perhaps. The CZ550 can give some feeding issues, but once you get the bugs polished out of a new one they are good. My God son, a trainee PH has one, he loves it. Know nothing about the Cogswell except a good PH friend of mine ended up on a buffaloes horns handling one and it all went pear shaped. If I ever got a bolt 375 it would be a Kimber Caprivi, looks just right, apparently shoots excellently.

Good to see another member from the UK. Welcome.

Welcome to the best Africa hunting site. Enjoy the education, remember safari is the best disease.

MB

I am no expert on bolt guns Phil, thats why I steered towards the scoped double. The Sako 85 Barvarian or Hunter is a good looker and my son-in-law has no issues with his. Bit light for 375 H&H perhaps. The CZ550 can give some feeding issues, but once you get the bugs polished out of a new one they are good. My God son, a trainee PH has one, he loves it. Know nothing about the Cogswell except a good PH friend of mine ended up on a buffaloes horns handling one and it all went pear shaped. If I ever got a bolt 375 it would be a Kimber Caprivi, looks just right, apparently shoots excellently.
That sounds quite a permanent outcome, sorry to hear that. I've seen a kimber, slightly more expensive, but worth the wait whilst saving would you say?

That sounds quite a permanent outcome, sorry to hear that. I've seen a kimber, slightly more expensive, but worth the wait whilst saving would you say?
Yes, worth the wait. There is nothing worse than compromising and then being disappointed. We all have upper limits, but get a rifle you can be really happy with for a long time. My Ruger No1 is my keeper rifle and the Heym double I believe will be a keeper too. The Ruger wasnt even expensive but I crowned it with a Leica scope that did stretch the budget a lot!

Hi all, Phil here, new to AH so firstly thanks for having me. Hunting in the uk since I was a youngster, hooked on the idea of taking the big 5 since first reading one of Capsticks publications. I will certainly be asking for lots of advice and opinions.

From one Phil to another, welcome to AH!

UKfingers, welcome! Lots of others here from the UK. Enjoy researching for a grand Africa big 5 adventure!

@Ukfingers Phil I would like to welcome you to the forum from Norfolk. If you need any help or advise there is tons on the site but feel free to PM me

@Ukfingers You have joined a group that will certainly aid your dreaming.

Welcome to AH.

Velcome Ukfingers..regarding the choice of .375H&H from the ones you listed, I would skip the Sako 85....it is too light for calibre and does not have controlled claw feeding. The C & H might be good and the CZ as well, both being Mauser (or Mauser derivative for the CZ..). The CZ´s become jewels if you polish up the action and they are virtually unbrakeable..a bit heavy though...my 2 cents..

welcome welcome welcome

Velcome Ukfingers..regarding the choice of .375H&H from the ones you listed, I would skip the Sako 85....it is too light for calibre and does not have controlled claw feeding. The C & H might be good and the CZ as well, both being Mauser (or Mauser derivative for the CZ..). The CZ´s become jewels if you polish up the action and they are virtually unbrakeable..a bit heavy though...my 2 cents..
Thanks for the input, I have noticed the weight of 85 varies hugely between models. Although owning a cz in a smaller calibre was unsure if I was getting more gun with the older c&h as the cz's are very much cheaper! Now things are opening up a bit more here, hopefully I'll get round to handling a few in the shops. Cant rush a long awaited decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg