Greetings from VA

Eric, welcome to AH! Yep there’s a ton of info on here! Best of luck on your Cape buffalo bow hunt!

Welcome to AH Eric! Nice to have you join us. Enjoy exploring the site.

Welcome to AH

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard Eric. Have you decided on an outfitter yet? What country are you planning to hunt? What bow and arrow weight set up are you planning to use? What have you hunted in the past?

Welcome aboard Eric. Have you decided on an outfitter yet? What country are you planning to hunt? What bow and arrow weight set up are you planning to use? What have you hunted in the past?

I've got the outfitter lined up. I'm going with Ken Moody and will be hunting his Limpopo North concession next August. In the past I've mainly been a deer hunter but recently added bear, antelope, pig, mt goat (Oct 2019), cougar (Nov 2019), bison (Jan 2020), musk ox (March 2020) and Dall Sheep (July 2021) to the list. For Africa

I'm building a totally new bow for the traip. I'm going with a Mathews MR6, 80/31. I bought new 80lb limbs, new cams, new string, new QAD drop away rest and sent the riser and limb pockets to get cerakote'd. Once it's back together it'll be like-new.

For my arrow set up I'm running FMJ DG 300 shafts with a 75grn brass insert, 25grn collar and an Iron WIll BuffHead 250 up front. Total weight will run ~875grn.

I'm extremely confident in these numbers but if anyone has any advice, tweaks or suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

-Eric

Eric, your bow sounds fantastic. I hunted Whitetails for years with my Mathews in my younger days. But for the past several years I've had to go to a cross bow. I was unwilling to drop the weight from 70 Lbs. and struggled to draw it. I enjoy hunting during bow season more than I do rifle hunting later in the year. The crossbow has added years to my hunting ability, I'll be 76 by this years season and have no intention of slacking off. As to your bow and arrow weight set-up, several guys have written up their hunts. Take a look at some of their previous posts.

Chasing a Buffalo with a pointy stick is a challenge to enjoy.
Good luck on your hunt.

Eric welcome to the forum. As I told you before, getting on this site was the best advice @Velo Dog could give about prepping for our trip before we went to Namibia. Check out our reviews about our hunt in Namibia. Best trip I’ve ever been on. If your current outfitter doesn’t work out then I highly recommend @Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris. I think they also book hunts for Cape Buffalo in other areas but I’m not 100% sure. Either way I’m looking Fwd to reading and hearing about your trip to Africa for Cape Buffalo......I might be a little jealous

DL

Welcome to AH Eric. Your bow setup sounds pot on. I see where this will be your first trip to Africa. SAFARI is something special.

Welcome to AH, Eric!

Giday and welcome to the A H forums Eric.

Hey fellas! Eric from VA here. Getting an archery Cape Buffalo hunt lined up for 2020 and sucking up all the info from the bowhunters on the site. So far it's a gold mine of info so thanks to all who've shared their knowledge.

Cheers!

Greetings, welcome to AH! Let me know if I can help you. Jacques @JKO Hunting Safaris has guided bowhunters for buff.

Hi Eric, welcome to AH !

I'm building a totally new bow for the traip. I'm going with a Mathews MR6, 80/31. I bought new 80lb limbs, new cams, new string, new QAD drop away rest and sent the riser and limb pockets to get cerakote'd. Once it's back together it'll be like-new.

For my arrow set up I'm running FMJ DG 300 shafts with a 75grn brass insert, 25grn collar and an Iron WIll BuffHead 250 up front. Total weight will run ~875grn.

Your set-up is good. What you have here should get the job done nicely... Just be sure that your arrow is tuned to as near perfect flight as possible. You want every grain of that arrow impacting directly... Best of luck to you! A Cape buffalo with a bow is an extremely challenging quest and the ultimate reward for the hunter if successful. Enjoy your safari and be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross