Drinks that remind you of Africa

This was the beer of choice, of my PH. I was very sceptical, as here in Canada it is in the bottom 1% of things a man dying of thirst would drink! I was very surprised at its great taste and enjoyed a few myself around the fire at night. I bought a poverty pack when I got home and couldn’t finish one of the six.

I don’t drink much alcohol but I did enjoy some of the South African wines, Cape Riesling in particular. . I try not to drink sugary drinks so I sometimes request diet drinks and one of the camps in South Africa even had Tab a drink I hadn’t seen in years. So ever now and then I will find some SA wines and enjoy them with some game meat at home.

Castle beer on the ride back to the lodge. A gin and tonic after a long hot day is always nice. The wife and I enjoy the G&T's at home and reminisce about hunting while looking at our trophies.

Coming from here everything local is African of course, but if there is a taste that carries it uniquely like nothing else it is Chibuku. I rather like it, but it is apparently an acquired taste, something like alcoholic camel's puke.

Klippies and Coke, Black Label, and/or Castle. And if necessary, Cream Soda the next day to tame any after effects.

Yes Tafle lager is at the very top of the list! Spending so much time in Africa, both hunting and visiting friends sheep ranches, I tired of beer and wine eventually. Having no whiskey options there but scotch I made myself get a taste for it! Now I do enjoy a scotch from time to time.
Fun memories all around.
Cheers,
Philip

Coming from here everything local is African of course, but if there is a taste that carries it uniquely like nothing else it is Chibuku. I rather like it, but it is apparently an acquired taste, something like alcoholic camel's puke.
That’s sounds like something I’ll put in the same category as Marmite or Veggimite. Roy Vincent used to make Marmite sandwiches out in the field but could never get me to try one. He assured me I’d eventually like it since it’s an acquired taste.

Next time I see him or Alan, I’ll be sure to ask them what they think about Chibuku.

My PH introduced me to Windhoek, Ive had a craving for it ever since

in the Field cold Coke - I never drink that s**t out of Africa - and by the campfire coming home Gin and Bitter Lemon, and red Wine with dinner...

In Zim, the cooler had water, Coke and Diet Coke (black can). My PH would ask for a “Black Coke”. As I worked in the soft drink industry, I was interested in the beverages.
I’m not a drinker but like the occasional “adult beverage”. Zambezi beer, just because of the name.

Gin and tonic by the fire--but at the hunt camp where I have been the last 4 trips, the kitchen doesn't have real limes so they put a wedge of lemon in the drink.

Castle Lite, KWV Brandy, Amarula, Springbok Shots, and of course all the great South African wines!

I posted local filter coffee, strong and black from Zambia or Zimbabwe. Because the memory is indelible and inextricable from getting up predawn and listening to the francolins chirping and squawking, the ground hornbills drumming, the ring neck doves cooing along with a million other sounds. Sitting at a small flickering fire, sipping a strong local coffee to cut the chill, experiencing the bush wake up cannot be duplicated anywhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,