Drinks that remind you of Africa

Windhoek Lager, Tipo Tinto & Coke, Gin & Tonic

IMG_1687.jpg

In Zim, the cooler had water, Coke and Diet Coke (black can). My PH would ask for a “Black Coke”. As I worked in the soft drink industry, I was interested in the beverages.
I’m not a drinker but like the occasional “adult beverage”. Zambezi beer, just because of the name.
Interesting I worked 25 years for Dr Pepper and Coke parent companies

Morning- The local arabica and robusta's.

Gin and Tonic - The preferred malaria prophylactic in East Africa for generations.

Capstick mentioned "Tusker".

I've never seen it.
Long before I ever had plans for the Continent of my own, this beer was encountered in a gas station in the SE US. It's one of my favorite hot weather drinks, and I bought the entire flat last time I found it in stock. Haven't seen it in years, but always ask about it via distributors.

As good as it is, Tusker makes me think of an Indian convenience store mogul (the man could wrangle all kinds of stuff from afar) more than Africa. My answer to the OP is pink gin.

This is a great thread, brandy&coke was mentioned, also known as a “brannas” I refer to it as a Buffel, glad you guys have such fond memeories of our continent, once you have experienced the red dust and sunsets you cant get it out of your system.

Blessings fellow hunters.

Last edited:
The popular brand are always available there, Guinness, Heineken.

My wife reminded me of this one...Rooibos Tea. We've been drinking it ever since we came home from our first safari.
1666741567873.png

Being a beer drinker I have to say Castle, Kilimanjaro and Tusker. You can find Tusker in the US but like all beer imported from half way around the world it never tastes as good as a cold one locally. Kilimanjaro from Tanzania is probably my favorite, mainly because it came in big 500ml icy cold bottles

I love the Palm wine as they locally call it, fresh, sweet and intoxicating.

Anything with alcohol in it?! Daily I can't get Africa off my mind. ;-)

No alcohol for me but I loved the ice cold bottled Cokes around the mopane fire at night. One food item that really stuck with me was simple but fantastic...fried bacon and canned tomatoes cooked in the same pan. So good and I make it about once a week. It takes me back there mentally.

Morning- The local arabica and robusta's.

Gin and Tonic - The preferred malaria prophylactic in East Africa for generations.
Champagne has a lot of quinine in it for a malaria prophylactic too.

Gemmerbier, especially the locally made stuff in a recycled bottle like this brandy bottle.
20180831_134331.jpg

Last edited:
Mainstay and Coke- Thabazimbi, Limpopo

1666878598673.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zahadurahbrotherhood

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you