Drinks that remind you of Africa

My wife reminded me of this one...Rooibos Tea. We've been drinking it ever since we came home from our first safari.
View attachment 496600

I was served this tea for breakfast in Namibia and I asked what it was. They answered "Rooibos"my shocked positive reaction to it's flavour surprised my hosts. For them it was the same old everyday tea.
The Rooibos my wife had served at home tasted like cheap cough medicine. I hated it.
Freshpak has been in the cupboard at home since that day.

This takes me into the Bakkie in KZN. Moosa's (tracker) favourite drink from the cooler.
Sparletta_Creme_Soda_330ml_Can_600x.jpg

This drags me back to PH School.

klip.png

Mozambique

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 08.40.28.png

Black Label reminds me of sitting at Africa Sky

Coffee reminds me of the cold mornings

Rooibos tea reminds me of sitting in OR Tambo waiting for my flight home

Another drink that reminds me of Africa other than the good wine is a cup of pre-hunt tea around the remnants of last night’s fire. I don’t drink hot tea at home but love it in Africa.

Hi everyone, a few recent threads have me thinking - what drinks remind you of Africa? For me, with only one trip to Namibia under my belt, it’s Tafel Lager or Brandy and coke (which my PH drank every night). Which drink just reminds you of Africa? I plan on adding some to my list on my trip to Zimbabwe next year!
The thing that always brings me back to Africa is an out of date Diet Coke or Coke Zero! On my second trip to South Africa many years ago I flew up to the Kalahari area for part of my hunt. The lodge was very nice with an expansive bar and dinning building. When offered something to drink I asked for a diet soda and a Coke Zero was brought straight out of a deli type cooler. The can was ice cold so I popped the top and took a big gulp ……and promptly spit it out. The damn thing tasted like the metal can it was in. I asked for another can and it was the same. So I looked at the can bottom for a date. To my chagrin it was past date by some 18 months, Being in the food service business I was well aware of the fact that diet soft drinks had a sweetener in them that breaks down after 90 days and can leave a bad after taste. I explained this fact to the lodge owner and I think I must have done so in Greek because he just didn’t get it. They brought the same crap to me the next day and I threw it in the back of the truck.
On this most recent trip to Zimbabwe things started off well with the sodas but towards the end well ….it was out of date stuff again.
So when state side and I happen to get an out of date soda with that un mistakable taste I think of African Sky and Dalton & York Safaris and the great adventures I had hunting with them.

I'm not a big drinker of alcohol but on our first night in Africa (Namibia) our group went to Joe's Beerhouse and had rounds of Jaegermeister shots. Any time I see it now, that's what I immediately go back to in my mind. Other than that, a couple Tafel/Windhoek/Castle Light in the evenings. Non-alcoholic drinks consisted of juice in the mornings and then water and Diet Coke during the day. I don't like coffee but do enjoy tea (as long as it doesn't have milk or sugar in it) but I don't remember it being offered. Maybe there was tea bags on the side table but I don't recall now.

Bailey’s hear it’s hard to find these days but it show reminds me of Africa as they love it there a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg