Double delay

Good question. The 450/400 with 400 grains at 2150 fps generates 5566 joules. The minimum for Namibia is 5400j and for Zimbabwe 5300j, so it qualifies for both. The 375 H&H at 5872j is well clear, but the Flanged at 5202j is a tad short.
And the 350gr 375 @2200 fps?

And the 350gr 375 @2200 fps?
That is a bit less energy than the .375FM (3oo grains @2,400), so it falls short as well. Just to be clear we are talking about regulations, not effectiveness before people jump in and tell me that they have shot more elephants than Bell with that load. ;)

More like 2 dollard dirtwalker. Do you also have a 375? What make is your O/U 450/400?
Kevin,

yes i have a 375 ruger, 20" stainless alaskan, hogue stock. a great, ready to go guide rifle for bears, moose, buffalo, etc. 1.75-6 leupold scope.

my 450-400 is an o/u Zoli, 26" barrels. decent wood. i got a pretty decent deal on it, also phil shoemaker, a bear guide up here recommended that i buy it over a vernon carrey because it had removable trigger group/locks. at 2100 fps it puts both shots about 1.25 apart (top barrel shoots about 1.25" higher than bottom) at 100 yards. perfect. it wears a 1-6 trijicon scope, i shot a buffalo with it in SA, worked great.

i like em both. of course the 375 will reach out a bit more, but when moose hunting, i am with a buddy that has a rifle that will shoot farther. i never let bear hunters start shooting at a bear at over 200 yards.

Great suggestion....
A double with barrels in 450/400 NE, 9.3x74R(ammo availibilty is a lot better than 375 FM) and a set of shotgun barrels would be the ultimate do it all rifle for Africa....

Yup wasnt thinking straight...the 9.3x74r much better choice for 2 barrel set

I believe that is factually wrong. The .375 Flanged magnum will meet any DG requirement of which I am aware. It will certainly deal with any buffalo, lion or leopard that ever roamed the continent. It would not be my first choice for elephant, but I suspect a 300 gr Hydro in the ear will kill any Pachyderm currently in Africa.
Correct and in Zim they will only look at the caliber anyway and not the Joules simple as that.....

Great suggestion....
A double with barrels in 450/400 NE, 9.3x74R(ammo availibilty is a lot better than 375 FM) and a set of shotgun barrels would be the ultimate do it all rifle for Africa....
Oh how I would love that! However my disposable income got up and disposed of itself, so I am back to saving for a while even for the basic double.

Yup wasnt thinking straight...the 9.3x74r much better choice for 2 barrel set
And if you happen to bump into something big if you shoot straight no problem for the 9.3x74R when that barrel is on the rifle.....great caliber, light in recoil but very effective....

With respect to him, he should share the knowledge instead of an insult. If I say something incorrectly, then school me.
I own a small trucking company and drive one myself. I listen to the cb rambos give insult at distance all day. I really try to get away from it when home. Probably the main reason I dont do facebook or other sites. I read this forum for years before joining. Seemed alot more respectful between members. Live and learn I guess.

I would say that saying "bs" hardly qualifies as something to take offence at...and I am sure is nowhere near what the truckers come out with....maybe things are just said in slightly more forthright manner over this side...as I have used it on here before when someone has come out with "bullshit".....in fact pretty sure I have used worse...:E Shrug::D Beers:

Oh how I would love that! However my disposable income got up and disposed of itself, so I am back to saving for a while even for the basic double.

Never hurts to ask the dealer what a set of 9.3 barrels will cost extra....you would enjoy that calibre...and just be hard on yourself and forget the 20 bore barrels :E Big Grin:

And if you happen to bump into something big if you shoot straight no problem for the 9.3x74R when that barrel is on the rifle.....great caliber, light in recoil but very effective....

Well you should know by now its one of my favourite calibres :D Beers:

Yip and deservedly so....

I would say that saying "bs" hardly qualifies as something to take offence at...and I am sure is nowhere near what the truckers come out with....maybe things are just said in slightly more forthright manner over this side...as I have used it on here before when someone has come out with "bullshit".....in fact pretty sure I have used worse...:E Shrug::D Beers:
If I knew the man, then I wouldnt take any offence. It would be mere banter.
But to make a slamming comment to someone you dont know without any additional info ? Thats just rude.
And I hear alot out here on the road, your right about that. But this is my job, I have to live with it.
I joined on here for enjoyment and to destress.
But lets just drop it. Its probably better than beating a dead horse.

Tanks, did you consider a reflex dot instead of the scope? Good out to 100 metres I am assured. I can either put a scope on the 375 double and it virtually replaces my Ruger 375 for everything, or keep the 450/400 double for close in buff specially, but fit a QD reflex site just in case.

it will be my PG and cat gun on this trip and I wanted the light gathering capabilities of the scope. I will have a Trijicon 1 MOA red dot on the .500 NE

Great suggestion....
Oh how I would love that! However my disposable income got up and disposed of itself, so I am back to saving for a while even for the basic double
Ironically if I did go for a second barrel set it would be the shotgun because I don't have one.

One thing to consider in regards to getting a shotgun barrel is comb height. Especially if you are going to put a scope on it. If the comb is high enough for a scope then it would be way too high for a shotgun.

Also, for the price of a second set of shotgun barrels one might be able to buy a nice Beretta, Aya etc. as well

As long as we're all designing his dream gun; the solution to the high comb with the shotgun barrels is to have a high rib fitted.

More like 2 dollard dirtwalker. Do you also have a 375? What make is your O/U 450/400?
Hi Kevin, As you know my wife hunts professionally with both a Heym .450-.400 & .404J. She is accurate up to 100 meters with her Heym .450-400. Her 88b weighs 4.825kgs, loaded. She is comfortable carrying that weight day after day. Although she owns a M-70 in .375 H&H it rarely sees daylight.

Like yourself she has a great desire to own a 89B in .470 Nitro. I have little doubt that sometime in the next two or three years her go to rifle will be a "Heym 89b in .40".

lvW...please elaborate a little about your use of the 9,3x74R...what game do you prefer to use it on..?

I am asking because I recently bought this, a Gaucher in that calibre.. Here in Norway I will use it on moose and perhaps the odd driven hunt down on the continent..

G3.jpeg

As long as we're all designing his dream gun; the solution to the high comb with the shotgun barrels is to have a high rib fitted.

I had a 9.3 double with 20 bore barrels....it also had a scope with claw mounts....with the rifle barrels it came up with the sights perfectly aligned....and the only time I used the scope was to check zero when first got it and had no problems using it , but after that the scope never came out of the fitted gun case.......used the 20 bore barrels on couple of pheasant and duck shoots in England and worked well....so dont think much of an issue that people seen to think it is....

lvW...please elaborate a little about your use of the 9,3x74R...what game do you prefer to use it on..?

I am asking because I recently bought this, a Gaucher in that calibre.. Here in Norway I will use it on moose and perhaps the odd driven hunt down on the continent..

View attachment 395500

When I had mine unfortunately didn't shoot much over here with it....but worked well on warthog...impala.. wildebeest and a buff...in Europe shot quite a few boar with it in driven hunts plus a very nice red stag and couple of Hinds on same driven.boar outings....I would be happy using it on everything here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg