Double delay

Hi Kevin, As you know my wife hunts professionally with both a Heym .450-.400 & .404J. She is accurate up to 100 meters with her Heym .450-400. Her 88b weighs 4.825kgs, loaded. She is comfortable carrying that weight day after day. Although she owns a M-70 in .375 H&H it rarely sees daylight.

Like yourself she has a great desire to own a 89B in .470 Nitro. I have little doubt that sometime in the next two or three years her go to rifle will be a "Heym 89b in .40".
Hi Lon, the 89 is a bit lighter than the 88 too. But I am a bit of a wimp so I might get a bearer....
I'll PM you about hunts your side.
Kevin

lvW...please elaborate a little about your use of the 9,3x74R...what game do you prefer to use it on..?

I am asking because I recently bought this, a Gaucher in that calibre.. Here in Norway I will use it on moose and perhaps the odd driven hunt down on the continent..

View attachment 395500
Anything I run across from duiker to eland, would take on buffalo with it as well super caliber.

Probably the best caliber you can find for moose and driven boar hunts....enjoy

I had a 9.3 double with 20 bore barrels....it also had a scope with claw mounts....with the rifle barrels it came up with the sights perfectly aligned....and the only time I used the scope was to check zero when first got it and had no problems using it , but after that the scope never came out of the fitted gun case.......used the 20 bore barrels on couple of pheasant and duck shoots in England and worked well....so dont think much of an issue that people seen to think it is....

That’s a gun you should have hung on to!

That’s a gun you should have hung on to!

You dont need to tell me i promise you....still get depressed thinking about... it....but my lovely lawyer was quite insistent about some of her bill being paid ....could have bought a holland royal double in 500ne with serious engraving and gold stuff for what I have paid so far.....:X3:

I don’t think you can go wrong with either caliber.

I have an 88b in 450/400 that has taken everything from genet cat up to buffalo. I do have a detachable scope, and the gun is very accurate. I have taken impala out to 200 yards plus with no issue if I do my part. The recoil on my 450/400 is a dream and feels much closer to my whitetail deer rifles than to my bolt 375s or 404 (I too am not a recoil addict). I will admit that I’ve even doubled the gun before and even that wasn’t too unpleasant (other than the laughs I heard behind me).

I have been able to handle the 89b in 375 flanged but did not have an opportunity to shoot it. The smaller action is very clean and nice, and it would definitely be a joy to carry. It felt much more like handling a SxS shotgun than a double rifle. And while I do love the look of the 88b, the 89b does evoke the classic English double look with all its panache. Since I didn’t shoot it, I obviously can’t speak to recoil unfortunately.

Kevin the price of the additional 20gauge barrels (in Germany) is $5580.00.

When it comes time for Liesl purchase her 89b she has decided on .470 Nitro, 25 or 26" bels, case color receiver, no engraving, upgraded wood, approximately 11lb. since Heym offers 4 receivers depending on caliber it will be which ever receiver is appropriate. A proper fitting will be required.
She does have one big unanswered question which ammunition to have the rifle regulated for. Before someone answers "whatever you have it regulated for buy x number of cases of the same lott" that is good advice in the real world, but in Zim you are limited to the number of rounds that are on your license.

Will she sell her 88b .450-.400 3" no! She loves the rifle and the caliber, but contrary to what some people believe, she feels a heavy caliber is better suited for the professional hunter.

One thing- be wary of Norma ammunition for regulation as it tends to run slooow (over 100 fps slower than Hornady). This is fine if you don't reload or use jacketed bullets- both softs and solids. But, the monometal solids tend to like higher velocities to bring them towards the center. So if your rifle is regulated with Norma you may wind up grouping well but with the barrels at 2+inches apart. Again, this is not the case with conventional shaped/jacketed bullets but with the monometal solids.

ps leaving for the Save on Wednesday to hunt Humani with Butch Coaton

Thanks for the info on the Norma ammo! We have had 0 problems with Hornady ammo, soft or solids.

It is strange what you say about the faster ammo shooting farther apart? Normally the longer period of time that a double is under recoil the farther apart and higher the barrels shoot. Of course there are other factors involved. I prefer a .470 nitro to shoot at about 2125 to 2150 max.

I hope you have a great time at the Save. The weather is beautiful at the moment! Unfortunately the roads are for crap!

I know, doesn't make sense. I tried RL 15, RL 17, H4350, IMR 4831, H4831, H380, MRP. I even tried 510 gr CEBs (it's a 500) but couldn't get the barrels closer than 2" w/o pressure signs as I kept on adding powder to try to get them closer. I don't know if it is the bearing surface of the driving bands vs the conventional jackets or what, but when I gave up and called JJ Perodoux he told me to drop the powder down when he heard that rifle was regulated with Norma - I dropped down 5 gr of powder and put in Woodleighs and got them 1/2" apart. (e.g. 96-97 gr RL 15 with CEB/Barnes solids vs 92 gr for Woodleighs).

My current rifle likes 95 gr of RL 15 for both the 570 gr solids (CEB/Barnes) and Swift A frames.

Hi Frank, A lifetime ago when I could reload for doubles I only used Reloader 15 and could usually end up with "snake eye" results. One .450-.400 3 1/4 that I owned I did a great deal of experimenting to see just how perfect the results could be. After getting the two barrels to shoot to about a 1/2" spread I experimented with bullet seating depth, by seating the bullet out a few thousands I was able to bring the spread down to the point the holes touched. I then allowed for the same difference when trimming brass and seated the bullets to the correct depth, perfection! Now a PH in Australia owns the rifle he says it still shoots "snake eyes"!

I've obviously got confused, but how do come up with less recoil ina lighter frame?

Both calibers are great but there's also the old adage "better to have a bigger rifle and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Another solution could be to buy a Krieghoff Classic Big Five with two barrel sets, one in .375 Flanged and one in 450/400 or larger.:giggle:
I never answered this Hunter, sorry. You are right, I got it the wrong way around.

..... before people jump in and tell me that they have shot more elephants than Bell with that load. ;)
...not likely.

:whistle:

HWL

Kevin go with the 450/400. That is a proper double rifle caliber.

Forget a pair of shotgun barrels because it will be a LOT cheaper to just buy a shotgun. And then it will be designed as a shotgun, not a barrel set added to a rifle.

Now the 9.3x74R barrels added would be fantastic to have!

In South Africa do you have to have a license for each barrel?

Barrel is registered not action...although the barrel will be linked to the action....

Hi all, as I posted in the Heym 89B post, I eventually ordered the double in 450/400 yesterday. Plain Jane model, no frills. I am very happy, just the 6 -9 month wait!

Looking forward to seeing some pics, when it arrives!
with the appropriate head gear of course ;)

When it comes time for Liesl purchase her 89b she has decided on .470 Nitro, 25 or 26" bels, case color receiver, no engraving, upgraded wood, approximately 11lb. since Heym offers 4 receivers depending on caliber it will be which ever receiver is appropriate. A proper fitting will be required.
She does have one big unanswered question which ammunition to have the rifle regulated for. Before someone answers "whatever you have it regulated for buy x number of cases of the same lott" that is good advice in the real world, but in Zim you are limited to the number of rounds that are on your license.

Will she sell her 88b .450-.400 3" no! She loves the rifle and the caliber, but contrary to what some people believe, she feels a heavy caliber is better suited for the professional hunter.
Lon my advise would be to have the rifle regulated for whatever load is most popular with your clients. Free ammo in a place where it is expensive and nearly unobtainable!

Hi Lon, I hope Liesl gets her 470 soon, if I am not mistaken it can come in the Africa frame at 4.5kg or the next one up at 5.4kg which is quite heavy. I found the Africa frame just right. On regulation ammo for the 450/400 I was thinking Hornady, or maybe even berrer Woodleigh, what do you suggest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg