Dealing with wounded Cape buffalo

I understand for you guys ammo is an issue. I never use FMJ round nose solids on DG. I only use then on tiny stuff to save the cape.

A 570gr Rhino controlled expansion bullet from a 500 Jeff travelling at 2300fps hammers buffalo coming or going makes no differance....

I have never needed a solid for buffalo hunting or stopping them and with 2.5x caliber expansion on the Rhino bullet the wound channel and effect is just devestatingly effective. The bullet easily smashes through any bone or boss encountered.

Using a double depending on age or make can be very restrictive on useable ammo however classic they may be.....
Hi, would you have the same thinking, shooting something smaller?...lets say 400gr @ 2400 fps from a 416 Rem Mag

Thanks

Hi, would you have the same thinking, shooting something smaller?...lets say 400gr @ 2400 fps from a 416 Rem Mag

Thanks
Yes with the right bullet but obviously the 500 will make a bigger hole and be more effective.

A 570gr Rhino controlled expansion bullet from a 500 Jeff travelling at 2300fps hammers buffalo coming or going makes no differance....
Rhino bullets are unbelievable. Use them in both my 375 and 416 Rigby.

I followed up my wounded buff with my Ruger No1 375 H&H, it is what I had. My PH had a 416 bolt gun that later had a freshie, didn't pick up a round. I would be far more comfortable on the next follow up, if there is one, with a double rifle in my hands and one in my PH's hands also.

What ever caliber the PH shoots quickly and well. Don’t care what it is.

I’ll be right there with the 375h&h or the 416 Rigby.
I’ve seen solids ricochet so I’ll be using my Barnes TTSX.
You've seen solids ricochet? Off what? My experience with mono metal bullets has been very limited and I found them to be less than impressive, so I don't use them, but I cannot believe that any non solid bullet is going to be more reliable in straight line penetration than a heavy well made solid. Solids are the only thing I have used on buffalo. The last one died within about 25 yards after taking the shot from my .458 WM through the heavy shoulder bone and heart them exited behind the opposite shoulder. The bullet traveled in a string straight line. A previous bull took a few more shots, but the bullets never "ricocheted off anything. There is a reason why most PH's seem to recommend solids on follow up shots even if a soft is used on the first one.

I followed up my wounded buff with my Ruger No1 375 H&H, it is what I had. My PH had a 416 bolt gun that later had a freshie, didn't pick up a round. I would be far more comfortable on the next follow up, if there is one, with a double rifle in my hands and one in my PH's hands also.
Let me guess, the .416 was on a push feed action? The same thing happened on my first buffalo hunt when my PH's rifle failed to feed. That bull was about 10 feet from the PH when I broke his neck. A double rifle would have worked on that hunt, but my Mauser CRF worked worked out fine. I would not pick a single shot as a first choice for dangerous game.

I shoot a .458 Lott when hunting buffalo. It is deadly accurate for the first shot. If a follow up is needed, it’s the right tool for that job as well.
What kind of .458 Lott rifle do you use? Thanks!

Hello Kevin,

For us Americans, what is a "freshie?"
Is that a mess up in rifle handling, or the rifle?
I would be apprehensive with my Ruger #1, following up a wounded buffalo.
Good application of your Heym 450/400 double.
I will keep practicing.
If nothing else, this thread substantiates the notion, that not all buffalo hunts are the same.

Hello Kevin,

I will keep practicing.
If nothing else, this thread substantiates the notion, that not all buffalo hunts are the same.
"Freshie" is a golf term for a swing and clean miss, as in all you got was "fresh air". In this case, it would probably have been caused by short stroking the rifle.

Hello Kevin,

I will keep practicing.
Hi Ray, he cycled the bolt but it failed to pick up a round. If I am not mistaken it happened twice!

Let me guess, the .416 was on a push feed action? The same thing happened on my first buffalo hunt when my PH's rifle failed to feed. That bull was about 10 feet from the PH when I broke his neck. A double rifle would have worked on that hunt, but my Mauser CRF worked worked out fine. I would not pick a single shot as a first choice for dangerous game.
I couldn't swear, but probably so. The truth is that most PH's, especially the new entrants, cant afford a decent rifle. In an ideal world they should all be issued with doubles. This was the policy of the Rhodesian Game Demt in the 40's and 50's I believe.

You've seen solids ricochet? Off what?…...

Spine bone/ rib. The deformed proof remains imbedded in the underside of the boss behind the ear along with the exit hole from the neck. Given the shot, at the angle taken, should have passed through side to side It was an interesting discovery.

Shoot whatever bullets that you wish. It’s your hunt.

Last edited:
I couldn't swear, but probably so. The truth is that most PH's, especially the new entrants, cant afford a decent rifle. In an ideal world they should all be issued with doubles. This was the policy of the Rhodesian Game Demt in the 40's and 50's I believe.
This is one of those early double rifles, again a Westley Richards, unadorned and with plain wood, but note the gold brand lettering - standards must be kept! If I recall it was a 500NE.
25A831D9-A2B0-41D2-AA20-35B8DF2D9D92.jpeg

I hadn’t followed this thread much as I was thoroughly enjoying a couple grand weeks in Kenya while y’all have been debating this topic. Now I’m back home so I guess I’ll weigh in.

As a bit of background, I’ve only killed 7 buffalo. Several had to be followed into thick cover, including one unprovoked charge where our initial shots were at a few feet distance and follow ups happened in very thick cover. In each case where we had to follow, we took up the track immediately.

The rifles I’ve used included a 458 Win Mag, 375 H&H, 470 NE and 416 Hoffman. I no longer have the 458 or 470. These days I carry the 416 as my heavy rifle, though I did just have a 375 H&H built and will use on some future buffalo. The 416 is an excellent buffalo caliber, easy enough to shoot well, yet packs a big punch. Both of these rifles are custom builds based on Winchester pre-64 model 70 actions. The 416 has quick detachable claw mounts which allow me to remove the scope, a Leupold VX-5 HD in 1-5x, in a matter of seconds. In a follow-up situation in thick cover, it is very quick pointing with the scope removed. The 375 is topped with a Leupold VX-5 HD in 2-10x. Both scopes have the Firedot reticle, which I believe is superior for buffalo in tight cover or low light.

For bullets, I really like Trophy Bonded Bearclaws and have enjoyed great success with them. I also like Barnes TSX’s and look forward to using them on some future buffalo. Solids, even though I always include some, I don’t expect to use except as a last result. I like Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer and Cutting Edge solids and they shoot well in my rifle. As the client, you should shoot whatever bullet your PH suggests depending on the situation.

I think a sport hunter’s buffalo rifle on any follow-up should always be whatever you’re already carrying and the caliber of your gun is far less important than what your PH is carrying. The PHs I’ve hunted buffalo with carried 458 Winchesters, and a 460 Weatherby. The PH my last and next buffalo hunts are with uses a 450 Ackley, which is one hell of a potent stopper as he gets 2,600 fps with 500 grain bullets.

When following a wounded buffalo, assuming your PH allows you to go with him, the caliber of your rifle is not nearly as important as your ability to quickly shoot it accurately under pressure. That takes a fair bit of practice and most of us don’t get enough of that kind of practice. The caliber of your PH’s rifle matters greatly.

For those who think you need something 45 caliber and up, ponder that over the course of history across all of Africa, more buffalo have been killed with the 375 H&H than any other caliber. It’s been widely available since 1912 everywhere that buffalo are hunted. For decades, it was a primary cartridge of many game departments and has been regularly used in culling and large scale shooting operations for many years. Are there better options? Sure, but there is nothing wrong at all with a 375 and when you as a client shoot it well, the topic of follow ups will largely be limited to cocktails around the fire at day’s end.

My .02 worth.

The follow up, back up caliber/ bullet on my buffalo encounter was a 375 H&H with 300 grain barnes TSX.
The killing shot at very close range was through the mouth into to cervical spine.
It would have been great to have a larger caliber with heartier sized bullet.
But it all came down to shot placement .

The follow up, back up caliber/ bullet on my buffalo encounter was a 375 H&H with 300 grain barnes TSX.
The killing shot at very close range was through the mouth into to cervical spine.
It would have been great to have a larger caliber with heartier sized bullet.
But it all came down to shot placement .
That would do it!

I have been watching a good number of buffalo hunt videos. I’m noticing a long time to work the bolt and get off a second shot in real life. I’m starting to think a double is by far the best to allow one well placed first shot and a second hole somewhere in bull.
I believe as a novice to DG a double would be the fastest, but for the vast majority of of us the cost of a double is out of the question unfortunately, I would love to have one so that being said, practice and make sure of the first shot

I don’t want to come across as a hypocrite given I hunt buff with a DR but what I have noticed is many people shoot their bolt action and “admire” the shot versus immediately cycling the bolt
I believe you are right and that probably comes from the fact that due to tv shows is everyone wants to see that one shot kill, not shoot until it stops moving as it should be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you