Dealing with wounded Cape buffalo

I understand the allure of a double rifle in Africa for two quick shots in thick cover but a bolt rifle holding more ammo can also work. For my brown bear guiding work in Alaska where it is a bit more open, I wanted a scoped bolt rifle with QD scope mounts and more magazine capacity. That led me to a semi-custom CZ .458 Lott that holds 5+1. If a bear ever gets ahold of you, trying to hold on to your rifle would be hard enough, let alone trying to reload a double rifle.

I am late to the party and as newbie haven’t read the 10 pages so apologies for any duplicate. But
1. Read Don Heath
2. Let PH deal and be prepared to back him up
3. Take a double first shot 20 yards out
Second shot as close as comfortable and able to jump out way. C 3 yards

never done it myself as with 14 buff made sure first shot with all but 2. One guy took 7 engine room after poor first shot. Trackers crawling to check where he was waiting

never had a charge and no idea how I would react. We all imagine standing fast but I wonder

s

As an aside have had a lion charge. Was just so stunned I didn’t move.
there is so little time. I reckon you need to have experienced a few before think straight and calm. As tourists we just don’t get used to it like a PH does

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg