CZ w/AHR #3 package or CZ 550 Safari Classics Custom

BlackBearsMatter

Reaction score
Hunted
USA
Which would be a better use of money? The AHR package with the synthetic stock seems like a great deal, but I also like the idea of getting a custom rifle from CZ in .375 H&H or .404 Jeffrey. I'm a total beginner at all of this, so what do you think would be better?

I used to be a synthetic stock fan, still am for hunting in tough weather and/or terrain. But in a more typical for Africa use rifle, I prefer a wood stock. Totally subjective thing, so just my opinion.

.404J is a fine caliber and a 400gr bullet at 2200fps isn't that much different recoil wise than a 300gr .375 at 2500fps. But either caliber is a good choice.

You can't go wrong with Wayne at AHR, great at what he does and to do business with.

AHR does some fine work!

my preference would be to stick with wood stocks. i had AHR build me a 505 Gibbs and it was a fantastic rifle!

full

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
AHR does some fine work!

my preference would be to stick with wood stocks. i had AHR build me a 505 Gibbs and it was a fantastic rifle!

-Matt

Are wood stocks preferred because of aesthetics, or are they stronger/mechanically better than synthetics? With whatever option I get, I want it to last a lifetime, at least. Thanks for the help!

Are wood stocks preferred because of aesthetics, or are they stronger/mechanically better than synthetics? With whatever option I get, I want it to last a lifetime, at least. Thanks for the help!

Pretty difficult to break a quality synthetic stock. But a wood stock that is propery bedded should last a lifetime too. But yes, primarily it's aesthetics to me.

a good synthetic stock is stronger then a wood stock. but ive shot a couple guns that were 100+ years old with their original stocks still in excellent condition. my best example would be a Springfield 1888 trapdoor rifle with military proof marks dated 1891. this rifle still had its original black walnut stock that aside from little dents and scraps was in perfect condition. the rifle was 125 years old when i sold it and it was still in perfectly serviceable condition.

only time id say you really need a synthetic stock is if you plan on having your rifle somewhere thats extremely wet and you wont be able to keep it dry. if you plan on doing numerous trips to Alaska or perhaps regularly hunt central or west Africa. but even in those places wood stocks will be fine if they can be dried out at the end of the day.

-matt

I have to say I absolutely love my CZ 550 in 375 H&H. I own a ridiculous amount of rifles and have built several custom rifles. Of those rifles it’s about 50/50 on wood or synthetic. I prefer synthetic for my every day use rifles that get the crap beat out of them but.... for a proper African gun, a good wood stock just can’t be beat. That CZ is the best “feeling” rifle that I own and it shoots like a dream. Probably my favorite rifle I own and carry it a lot despite being a way over kill for most of the animals I hunt in the US. I have a friend that has one in 505 Gibbs and I absolutely love that rifle too.
I’d go with the CZ but that’s just me.

This is probably more gun than you need or want, but there has been a CZ550 in 450 Rigby (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.450_Rigby ) listed for a while on GB. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/729423373 It would appear this is a CZ550 from the custom shop, which is TripleRiver. According to the price list (see attached), the rifle and rings go for about $3300, so if you can get it for the opening bid price of $2800, maybe not a bad deal.

The listing party is a gunshop in Dallas, so if anyone is interested and attending DSC, you can make a small side trip.

Screenshot (98).png

Attachments

• 2017 RETAIL Safari Classics Order Form.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 456
Last edited by a moderator:
Which would be a better use of money? The AHR package with the synthetic stock seems like a great deal, but I also like the idea of getting a custom rifle from CZ in .375 H&H or .404 Jeffrey. I'm a total beginner at all of this, so what do you think would be better?

I agree with Phoenix Phil. The only rifle I have with a synthetic stock, is my adjoining 270. The stock is soft and not hard. Where I go hunting Rusa deer it’s very, very humid and in places swampy.
I also have stainless steel barrels because they are less likely to get rust on them as I live in the tropics and the humidity is high.
I use the other wooden stock rifles but mostly where the humidity is much less or in the dry season.
The sensation of a beautiful stock to my mind is simply great and personally I really like it.
It’s up to you of course and everyone will have an opinion.

For an heirloom rifle that you would use to hunt DG in Africa... hands down go with the 404 Jeffrey and the AHR package.

For a do everything rifle with an emphasis on hunting Africa, the 375 will give more versatility on PG and everything from duikers to elephant. I'd still go with a upgraded wood stock and barrel band sling swivel but might go the CZ Triple River route.

If you want a true do anything anywhere in any conditions rifle, a quality synthetic stock, stainless and or ceracote metal in 375 H&H would be the way to go... IMO.

AHR BUILD BOTH SYNTHETIC AND BEAUTIFUL WOOD STOCK. I WITOUT A DOUBT GO AHR WITH WOOD & CHECK OUT WAYNES QR RED DOT MTS SIMPLE LIGHT & THEY WORK!

I concur with those that vote for wood. Especially for use in drier climates. No one loves the aesthetics of a synthetic stock, but if you opt for wood and pay a bit extra for wood with nice colour, grain, and figure, you will spend the rest of your life admiring and loving that rifle. Do a wax finish, and make sure to remove the barrelled action and wax 'inside' and moisture will be much less of a problem. Any nicks will serve as mementoes of a particular hunt.

black bears matter,

i live in alaska, hunt in alaska and guide in alaska. i have owned multiple blued/wood guns. i don't buy them anymore. i have converted most of my working guns to stainless/synthetic.

that said, i have a few double rifles 9.3x74r, 450-400 (all o/u guns) and they are blue/wood. i have carried the 450-400 the last couple seasons for moose/brown bear. i love the gun, but....wish it was stainless! on coastal brown bear hunts, i am constantly cleaning/oiling it. it gets 5x the attention that my stainless 375 ruger gets during the same hunt.

if not hunting in a wet environment then blue/wood is a great choice. the stainless/synthetic is nowhere near a pretty or as "classy". but, stainless guns work just a good as a blued gun anywhere and will work much better in some places.

i do agree with the "heirloom gun" thoughts above. africa (my ONLY trip there) was kind to the blued gun i rented. just needed to wipe the dust off it every so often. if you are going to go with wood, then spend a few extra bucks and get a really NICE one. won't shoot any better, but you will smile every time you look at it.

I have read on BearTooth Bullets website, 2 coats of Johnson's paste was helps waterproof firearms in wet conditions. Struggling to post the link but a web search will get you there. I have never tried it but I have a can cause one day you never know.

black bears matter,

i live in alaska, hunt in alaska and guide in alaska. i have owned multiple blued/wood guns. i don't buy them anymore. i have converted most of my working guns to stainless/synthetic.

that said, i have a few double rifles 9.3x74r, 450-400 (all o/u guns) and they are blue/wood. i have carried the 450-400 the last couple seasons for moose/brown bear. i love the gun, but....wish it was stainless! on coastal brown bear hunts, i am constantly cleaning/oiling it. it gets 5x the attention that my stainless 375 ruger gets during the same hunt.

if not hunting in a wet environment then blue/wood is a great choice. the stainless/synthetic is nowhere near a pretty or as "classy". but, stainless guns work just a good as a blued gun anywhere and will work much better in some places.

i do agree with the "heirloom gun" thoughts above. africa (my ONLY trip there) was kind to the blued gun i rented. just needed to wipe the dust off it every so often. if you are going to go with wood, then spend a few extra bucks and get a really NICE one. won't shoot any better, but you will smile every time you look at it.
I took a Sako 'Grey Ghost' 270WSM on a fly in caribou hunt a couple of years ago in Northern BC. For those not familiar with the rifle, it is a laminated stock/stainless gun. It seemed impervious to moisture which was a good thing. It was wet everyday and there was little chance to dry it out. I would have felt bad taking a gun with a nice stock. As it was the blued steel scope mounts rusted...

john j,

re: paste wax. i heard about a similar thing, and i used it this year on my blued double. it did work very well. i am likely going to use on my stainless guns as well.

i did NOT bring any more from home, so only had the original wax surface on my rifle. i wished for more, and will bring more next time. it does help a lot, just not as good as stainless.

I have had both, the buffalo in my avatar was killed with a safari classics 375, I now have a custom full on #3 AHR with one of the nice English Walnut stock's. Get the package number 3 and you will be thrilled!!

If you have the time to wait for a deal some good ones pop up on the AHR guns. I got the one in the attached picture for around what you'd pay for one of the cz safari classics or just a bit more.
IMG_1077.JPG

If you have the time to wait for a deal some good ones pop up on the AHR guns. I got the one in the attached picture for around what you'd pay for one of the cz safari classics or just a bit more. View attachment 212181
Beautiful.

Reactions: cls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross