Cull Hunt Examples

stoxicity

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi guys,

Another post from a newbie trying to work out what he wants out of his first African hunt!

I keep seeing recommendations of people saying to ask about cull animals that may be available.

Can people please share some pictures of different cull animals and examples of pricing for cull hunts?

Much appreciated.

Reactions: WAB
Hint:
In the meantime, you could also use advanced search option, to look for culling hunt in offer and deal section. you will get idea of pricing,

and same advanced search option, for culling hunts in hunt report section. you will see pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @stoxicity
Here is an example of a cull hunt that we still offer:

On cull hunts, majority of the animals will be female on excess numbers, unless you run into a poor genetics male, which could be of a lesser size or deformed horn etc. I can't speak for others, but with us these types of males are really difficult to offer and will need to be taken more on a chance occurrence.

Cull hunts have a place as far as conservation is concerned. Therefore, with my outfit, we only offer these types of hunts from mid April to mid August.

we also offer a number of cull hunts every year and finished a few now
we generally do the cull hunts a bit later in the year as its easier then to select and you get more chances.
for us its used as a way to control numbers/conservation of certain species that are getting over populated. the animals can be male or female or generally bad genetics
if we dont look after the top soil, then vegetation, there wont be any animals!
cull hunts are still great hunts and generally you get to shoot a lot more animals and dont have the taxidermist expenses, unless u choose to take a few skins etc.

here are 2 examples of a possible cull male impala, iff culling males, and a female impala
IMG_2832.PNG
finn impala.png

All cull animals taken at Tally Ho Safaris, October 2022;

IMG-20221011-WA0011.jpg

Giraffe Chi Reduce.jpg

Impala wChi.jpg

IMG_20221011_171622216_HDR.jpg

Wildebeest atNight Reduced.jpg

Baboon .jpg

Buffalo #1 wChi.jpg

Buffalo No2 Reduce1.jpg

Attachments

• Sunset Reduced.jpg
    Sunset Reduced.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 61
Hemmingway, Ruark, and AH members write that once there, Africa is always under one's skin. Returning for another hunt is inevitable.

Starting with a cull hunt is great beginning. As for me, I don't go to collect trophies. Like the elephant hunters of a hundred years ago who would sell their ivory to fund their next hunt, I put the shipping and taxidermy money aside toward my next hunt. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have big horns over my favorite chair. There is however only so much money at this point in my life.

Go, experience some of Africa, and return home where one will suffer a post-Africa depression of sorts. The only remedy is to start planning the next hunt!

Here are links to my two hunt reports:

Currently offering a cull hunt. See under Deals and offers or contact me directly if you like. info@safaricoafrica.com or +27834431879

I have to pay my shipping bill today from my last 2 trips to RSA. After seeing the invoice, my next trip(s) likely will be culling and photos only....YEeOUCH

I have had great cull hunts with TalleyHO and Nick Bowker Safaris. Hunt Reports

Hi guys,

Another post from a newbie trying to work out what he wants out of his first African hunt!

I keep seeing recommendations of people saying to ask about cull animals that may be available.

Can people please share some pictures of different cull animals and examples of pricing for cull hunts?

Much appreciated.
The first cull hunt I went on in Namibia was €200 a day and shoot as many warthog as possible. This was around Hochfeld and the warties were tearing up the irrigation pipes on farms and generally creating havoc.
we shot a lot.
My second trip two years later was on a farm between Outjo and Kamanjab.
The deal was 4 hunters, ten days and 40 oryx to be shot for €2700 each. I think we shot 36. This was 2014 and 2016. I’ve done the same kind of hunting since, day rates and pricing have varied a bit but it’s always been good value.
I like hunting, the experience, being out in the bush, albeit on a very large farm or farms. Trophies matter not to me.

My cull hunt was good value and I could have asked to add animals or change the intinerary.

Get an idea of what you want and talk to some outfitters.

For me, I'm a shooter, a hunter and enjoy the bush. I don't collect trophy animals or have any game mounted. One day I might but I don't have the desire to collect tons of game but I do have my sights set on some different animals and hunting experiences.

I took a cull hunt with Tsala Safaris this past May, the package was 5 zebra, 2 blue wildebeest, 3 impalas, 6 days of hunting, 4400.00. They are an easy 2 hour drive from the Johannesburg airport, absolutely great people!! I could not recommend them highly enough!

I love the idea of cull hunts But geez a big Kudu bull or Gemsbok bull mount in your office…
For the first timer and I remember what a great feeling to look back on your Hunting life!

we also offer a number of cull hunts every year and finished a few now
we generally do the cull hunts a bit later in the year as its easier then to select and you get more chances.
for us its used as a way to control numbers/conservation of certain species that are getting over populated. the animals can be male or female or generally bad genetics
if we dont look after the top soil, then vegetation, there wont be any animals!
cull hunts are still great hunts and generally you get to shoot a lot more animals and dont have the taxidermist expenses, unless u choose to take a few skins etc.
I have hunted with Stuart, this is a great place and guy to spend a week with. We will be back for sure.

First I’d make sure if you are asking for a cull or management hunt. Culling being a shoot, and management being a hunt.

I did a cull ‘hunt‘ for one night shooting springbok for the meat trade. Used a suppressed 243, all head or neck shots, off the truck under spotlight. You paid a penalty if you messed up and had to shoot again. It was interesting to see the whole operation, and lots of shooting; but certainly not hunting. Couple videos of this on You Tube.

I also have done management hunting conducted the same way any ‘trophy’ hunt would be done, but ID’ing animals intended to be removed either excess in number or in quality. Shot a 54” Kudu with no testicles, a very thin female like body, light in color (almost pink) and light weight horns. No wounds, genetic defect of some sort.

Booked a management hunt off this forum in 2016 from KMG and I think there is a report floating around here somewhere. Marius allowed me to add trophy game to the days at his price list along with the management hunting for 10 animals; blesbok and black wildebeest. We never did shoot all of them and he even took money off the bill for the one or two we didn’t take when we settled up. Still one of the best PH’s I’ve had the pleasure to book with, terrific time.

Unless you are looking for something specific, ie ...your "Trophy" animal, cull hunting can be just as great of an adventure as Trophy hunting. In fact, if you are looking for a safari with more trigger time, less stress, and are not concerned with Taxidermy, cull hunting may fit the bill.
I will be in Namibia with Philip and the Khomas team later this year cull hunting, and very much looking forward to it. I believe he still has a few offers in the "Deals" section for 2023 if interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraOcam

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.