Cape Eland & Livingstone Eland Pictures

Cape Eland, Winterberg Mountains, Eastern Cape, South Africa, July 2023.
After hunting eland, I think I'll make hunting eland again a priority, more so free range. They really are huge, beautiful antelope.
IMG-20230730-WA0000.jpg

A bus this year at tallyho
IMG_8305.JPG

A big okd cow from this season
IMG_8306.JPG

Another bus last week
IMG_8307.JPG

I was never interested in hunting Eland. Until I saw a proper sized, mature bull. It was like a different species.
Then it was on. Of course once I targeted mature Eland. I could never get into bow range.

May of 23 that changed and I finally got my Eland. Bushman Xyphose recurve. Valkyrie Reign arrows and broad head. I got a good quartering away shot that buried in the off shoulder.

He went about 80 yards into more thick trees and I snuck into 28 yards for a second shot. He was facing me on the second shot. But he was pretty sick, and most likely to go down soon. I got a second insurance shot. The second one was off the mark and only made him run a little more and fall over.

Then I trailed Livingstone for much of the remainder of my hunt. But could never seal the deal. A mature Livingstone is still on my dream list.
20220503_211800.jpeg
20220503_211404.jpeg
IMG_7726.jpeg

Last edited:
3 big bulls taken by our clients this past week. Horn length is hardly ever a priority with eland - age, colour and dewlap is almost always more important. This first eland had it all with longest horn measuring 40 1/2 ". SCI was 104". Next two were up there to at 38" and 36". We hunt a lot of eland and I'm always intrigued at some bulls that hardly wear their horns down and then other bulls in the same area, wear them down significantly.

m_IMG_7200.jpg
VKUO3195.jpg

NDOF8212.JPG

Screenshot_20230821_220359_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230821_220328_Gallery.jpg

Our tracker spotted this bull bedded in deep brush up in the mountains out in the East Cape. He's a bushman and it took 5 minutes for my PH and I just to find him in our glass. My first - I was amazed at how muscled up and scarred up he was. I'm hooked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoannWorra

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!