Big Bore Addiction Group

LMAO!!

I have a two gun battery for Africa and the world; a Pre-64 Model 70 .375 H&H, and a matching Pre-64 Model 70 .300 H&H. Their name are, of course, Harris and Henry, respectively.

I have a two gun battery for Africa and the world; a Pre-64 Model 70 .375 H&H, and a matching Pre-64 Model 70 .300 H&H. Their name are, of course, Harris and Henry, respectively.
Awesome Begger!

The .458 Lott #1 is "The Businesswoman," for her conservatively attractive looks and no nonsense approach.
The .375 H&H #1 is "The Lovely Lady," for her beautiful stock, finish and better manners than the Lott.
The .375 H&H M70 is "Big Bertha," for the length of the action, barrel and generally larger appearance than my other rifles.

The .458 Lott #1 is "The Businesswoman," for her conservatively attractive looks and no nonsense approach.
The .375 H&H #1 is "The Lovely Lady," for her beautiful stock, finish and better manners than the Lott.
The .375 H&H M70 is "Big Bertha," for the length of the action, barrel and generally larger appearance than my other rifles.
All fantastic calibers richly deserved of their names Forrest!!

It has been a while and my addiction has been fed some more:

Bolts:
.500 MDM Wildcat
.458 B&M Wildcat
.416 B&M Wildat
.375 H&H McMillian Heritage (safe queen).

Double Rifles:
Heym .500 NE
VC .450 NE
Heym 9.3x74R to be regulated with a scope (on order due end of May).

Next Africa hunt in August, 2021 is a double rifle hunt. Taking .500 NE for buffalo and elephant and the 9.3x74R for plains game (bait) and leopard. If somehow the 9.3x74R doesn't make it in time then it will be .458 B&M going to Africa instead.

A good friend of mine has a M70 300 H&H that he is intent on having rebarrelled to 375H&H. He says that would be his "big" gun. When he talks the corners of my mouth reflexively inch up as I try to avoid showing a smile. I see myself about 35 years ago doing the same thing and saying to myself: there, that gives me a rifle suitable for any big game on Earth. HA!!, since that time there have been rifles added: 375 Wby, 375 RUM, 404 Jeffery, 458 Win Mag and the most recent addition 470 NE double rifle. At present I figure the 470 will probably be final, but there isn't a law against the possibility of a 500, 577 or even 600 so who knows?

All I can do is warn my friend that getting a 375 H&H is just the First step down the big bore addiction road and is certainly not the last.

I have a Winchester Safari Express in 375HH for a possible trip to Africa but only have a Colt Sauer in 270 Winchester for a second gun. I need to work on the second gun :)
I have a friend looking to sell a 300RUM.
It's a Rem 700 stainless with black synthetic stock.
At 300 yards...~2500 lb-ft of energy and ~2500 fps.
I'd call it a bit of an upgrade from a 270WIN.
PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Anyone who has stood up behind anything from a 416 Rigby with 400 grain factory loads on up without a healthy amount of respect is either a damned fool or a liar or both.

Addictions are subtle sometimes. Years ago I traded a 9mm for a 44. No one warned me of the potential impact of that trade. A variety of large bore handguns fed this growing problem, still unrecognized for what it is. The 45/410 Derringer seemed to be "enough", until the 45-70 TC came into view.
Rifles followed the same progression, growing steadily from the seed we all start with, the 22LR. My addiction began at age 4 at the hands of my grandfather, a truly great man!
I had been able to stave off the growing needs of the addiction by feeding it large quantities of a growing number of magnum chamberings, but when I found myself regularly reaching for heavily loaded 45-70s, and after adding 4 more rifles in that caliber, the addiction required more! I have found myself adding the 375H&H and looking to rechamber a 45-70 to 450 #2NE. And buying ammo for other calibers yet to be converted to real, in-hand rifles!
But, I have learned this big bore problem is, in itself, just a gateway drug; Big Bores are best served in double rifles. Again, I thought by filling that urge with a double hammer gun in 45-70, I could satisfy both needs; I was wrong. It slowed the progression of the disease, but couldn't stop the urge. And looking at AH for help, instead I found a bunch of enablers! Those who seem to take some perverse pleasure in seeing others succumb to their affliction! Forcing us to look at these wondrous weapons in all kinds of storied calibers. Adorned with amazing engraving and ancient pieces of figured wood!
Where guns used to find a permanent home in my care, they are now being looked at as sources to fill the need for doubles. One has already been sacrificed! My son almost fainted when he heard I had sold a gun. And more will/must be sacrificed for the needs of the addiction must be fed!
Even with another double enroute, the urge is strong to find another, bigger bore double. The new one has two sets of barrels, so perhaps that will help buy me some time. And find the next victim sacrifice volunteer in the safe.

Good fun again this past weekend at the BASA shoot fired 20 shots 3 for gun slaute for fallen friends and members of BASA and 17 for the range. 3 Ranges 1, 5 shots the other two 6 shots each as all as fast as possible.

The Lott at 2300fps with 480gr bullets leaves a bit of a mark after a day like that but that aint going to stop me too much of an addiction.

Incidentally frind of mine fired his new 505 Gibbs for the first time with new loads of 600gr mono solids but seems the primer hasnt enough oommph and had hangfires 50% of the time. Using CC250 it was recommended he goes to use Fed 215 primers.

Could also be the powder that is too slow Vit N560.
The fun of playing with the bigger stuff.

Hi my name is John and the largest calibre I currently own is .338 however about a year and a half ago I joined this forum called Africahunting.com so I could get help planning my first safari to the RSA. Long story short all the @$$holes on that site seem to think that centerfire cartridges begin at .375 calibre and their constant brainwashing is beginning to take hold. My gunsmith is now spec'ing out a .458 win mag for me. Please help.......is there any hope for me????
Similar thing happened to me! Since last May, I now own two .375 Rugers!

As far as brain washing, I'd say everyone here thinks it begins at .366".....the 9.3x62 and 9.3x64 get their dues here too lol

Now that we are on the subject. I'm thinking of taking a small step up from the .375 Ruger. The .458 Lott is next, isn't it? LOL

A good friend of mine has a M70 300 H&H that he is intent on having rebarrelled to 375H&H. He says that would be his "big" gun. When he talks the corners of my mouth reflexively inch up as I try to avoid showing a smile. I see myself about 35 years ago doing the same thing and saying to myself: there, that gives me a rifle suitable for any big game on Earth. HA!!, since that time there have been rifles added: 375 Wby, 375 RUM, 404 Jeffery, 458 Win Mag and the most recent addition 470 NE double rifle. At present I figure the 470 will probably be final, but there isn't a law against the possibility of a 500, 577 or even 600 so who knows?

All I can do is warn my friend that getting a 375 H&H is just the First step down the big bore addiction road and is certainly not the last.
Ive been telling myself and everyone else that! I have this rifle, and it's all I ever need on the planet. But I still want a .416 Ruger and a .458 Lott.

My family has been asking me, why I need so much rifle, living in the land of 100lb deer. I tell them it's simple. It's like money in the bank, you don't always need it, but during an emergency, it's nice to know it's there.

I tell them it's simple. during an emergency, it's nice to know it's there.

There's also the deterrent factor. Since I've had a big bore on hand, there have been NO rampaging elephants or rhinos stampeding through town. The possibilities of events had I not had them on hand is painful to imagine.

There's also the deterrent factor. Since I've had a big bore on hand, there have been NO rampaging elephants or rhinos stampeding through town. The possibilities of events had I not had them on hand is painful to imagine.
Not as many friends ask about shooting them either! I threw a party once, and a co-worker wanted to shoot my Boat Paddle .338 Win Mag. It had a Zeiss on it, with great eye relief, but he didn't listen. Left with the half moon over his eye.

I mean, I have a 404 Jeffery in case climate change brings hippos back into the Thames. They've been here before so I reckon a couple more warm summers and we'll have a real problem on our hands....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois