Big Bore Addiction Group

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by matt85, Aug 29, 2014.

1. matt85

matt85 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, and Namibia
    Hello, my name is Matt and I have a problem. It appears I have become addicted to large bore rifles. My addiction has soaked up large amounts of money and made the credit card company very happy.

Im pretty sure my addiction started when I bought my CZ 550 in 375 H&H, Beware of these rifles! They are gateway guns to a life of heavy recoil, empty wallets, and most importantly LOTS OF FUN!

here is a picture of the cartridges ive been playing with along with some more common cartridges for comparison.

left-right: 9mm Luger, 7.62x39, 375 H&H, 450/400 NE 3", 500/416 NE 3.25", and 505 Gibbs.
    [​IMG]

if you share my addiction, please state your name, how you started, and a picture.

-matt

Attached Files:

2. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hi, I started with a CZ 550 in 375 H&H then after joining too many forums decided the lack of recoil was disappointing, so I had it rebarrelled to 500 Jeffery lol. Then I decided to hunt brown bear in Alaska, and of course was told I shouldn't take my nice walnut/blued 500 Jeffery because it was too wet. So I bought a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H, had a Sako extractor, heavier firing pin installed (both to remedy issues with a brand new gun) and had it rechambered to 375 Weatherby while I was at it. I got a nice brown bear and then my youngest son claimed it. I bought my oldest a M70 Classic left hand in 416 Rem Mag because he had to have a big bore too. He and his brother got nice black bears with their big bores this August. So I thought I had bought all of my big bores until someone told me that big bores started at .600 and had to shoot a bullet of at least 900 grains with a minimum muzzle energy of 8000 ft/lbs. So now it seems is all I have is medium bores lol

Best Regards, Chuck

500 Jeffery with a 450 lb feral hog

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brown bear taken with the Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My oldest's 416 Rem (it's got a Leupold 1.5- 5x scope on it now)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

gesch, Akhutr, FRST and 2 others like this.

3. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Stop it, stop it, stop it!!! I can't hear you.....la la la la.....I'm done at my .458B&M......la la la la la la!!!!!

Timbo, Dr Ray and Kevin Davenport like this.

4. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Matt85 I could easily follow you into this addiction.

Dr Ray likes this.

5. Johnny7604

Johnny7604 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, FMFG
    Hunted:
    Canada (BC, AB), RSA (Limpopo), RSA (KwaZulu-Natal)
    Hi my name is John and the largest calibre I currently own is .338 however about a year and a half ago I joined this forum called Africahunting.com so I could get help planning my first safari to the RSA. Long story short all the @$$holes on that site seem to think that centerfire cartridges begin at .375 calibre and their constant brainwashing is beginning to take hold. My gunsmith is now spec'ing out a .458 win mag for me. Please help.......is there any hope for me????

caddman and Royal27 like this.

6. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    No, there isn't......the new rifle is just the start of a much bigger problem......sorry.

Dr Ray likes this.

7. matt85

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Colorado, you have a 500 Jeff so your putting out a .510" which makes the next logical step something that shoots a .550" or perhaps a .585".

Johnny7604, I'm afraid you have just begun. first its the 458 win, then you will realize the 458 Lott is a better cartridge. thankfully this is usually an easy/cheap fix by simply having your chamber bored deeper. what comes after the 458 Lott...

personally, my biggest challenge has been to resist the urge to sell or convert my smaller bore guns to larger bores. I must resist this urge as I need my small bore guns! :ROFLMAO:

-matt

Dr Ray likes this.

8. Heym 88

Heym 88 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    US
    Hi, my name is David. My first problem came with a pre-64 model 70 in 300 H&H. I thought I had it under control until I came upon a new Win model 70 in 375 H&H. My symptoms improved some after that. Then the remission was gone, and I found myself with a Heym double in 450/400. I received immediate care but it wasn't effective and I gave up, soon purchasing a Searcy double in 470 NE. Since then, my symptoms have vanished and I'm on the road to recovery....I think

Marshall T Farr and ActionBob like this.

9. peras

peras AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA HSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique
    I have sympathy with the problem. Mine also started at the .375, moved to a 458 and now the 500NE. Needless to say none replaced the other theyre just becoming more and more. Luckily I always have the excuse that I really need it for my job(this is what I tell the wife).

10. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
    Pieter,
    A guy with your experience should know that ANY rifle is an "investment".........unlike a pair of shoes or handbag.

Capt_Oscar, Dr Ray and larry4831 like this.

11. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    o_O so marius are you still breathing after making that statement, or just slightly damaged ????????? ;):ROFLMAO:

Odinsraven and peras like this.

12. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
    No one sits on my head.....that place is reserved for my wife.:D:D:D

13. CAustin

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Johnny 7604 you are in too deep. I'm afraid you will no longer be satisfied with the gateway guns. You MUST move on to more powerful things to satisfy your intense cravings. There is nothing for it........so you will have to cope.

14. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    Started at 14 years old (42yeas ago) shooting a family friends rolling block in 50/70. Now consider stuff under 40 cal boring (but useful).
    So lets start with the little 40's and go up, 40/50 Straight Sharps, 40/65 win, 405WIN, 416 Express, 416 Rigby, 45/70, 45/90, 45/100, 450 Marlin,450NE,
    458 WM, 458 Lott, 50/70, 50/90, 50 Alaskan, 500BPE, 500NE. 12 Bore muzzleloader and still building a 8 Bore muzzle loader. As you can see the addiction gets worse with age. Still on the list is a 404 Jeff, 577NE.
    You are among friends:)

Marshall T Farr likes this.

15. matt85

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    that's an impressive collection! I have always admired those sharps rifles but never got around to picking one up. having one in 50/90 would be loads of fun.

-matt

16. William W.

William W. AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Memphis Sport Shooting Association
    I live in Memphis where there are no Dugga Boys (my hunting fantasy) but your addiction has spread because I have moved from 300 Win to, very recently, 375 H&H and 375 Rem Ultra. The former was purchased to work up to shooting the latter which was a "bargain" from Cabella's Gun Library. The latter came with, seemingly, a splinter stock which I replaced with an HS Precision "wide body" with two mercury recoil reducers. I have still not worked myself up to loading ammunition for it in a somewhat reduced power mode. Call me a chicken s-t! My excuse of a hot humid Memphis Summer is starting fade and I am beginning to face my demons!

17. matt85

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I haven't tried a 375 ulta mag but if its anything like a 378 Weatherby then its a true beast. the 378 Weatherby I shot belonged to another regular at my range and weighed in at around 11 pounds. his loads pushed a 300gr bullet at over 3000fps which even at that weight delivered a healthy dose of recoil.

-matt

18. IdaRam

IdaRam BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    I too am a member of the Big Bore Addiction Group (B-BAG for short, please don't confuse us with the other group with a similar name)! :eek:
    My addiction started with a .416 Rem Mag in 2003 and my latest relapse was a Ruger RSM in .375 H&H that a drug dealer named Heym88 sold me :unsure:
    So, I guess you could say I've almost got it back under control???
    So good to know I'm not alone...

Dr Ray likes this.

19. CAustin

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    IdaRam the alone part is where and what to shoot with the big bores in the states. Elk, bear for sure but getting to them is fun. Going to Africa the big game is all over the place. Keep shooting the big stuff to make sausage meat out of the game.

20. IdaRam

IdaRam BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    That sounds like solid advice CAustin, I'll take it. Thanks!
    I already feel my next relapse coming on and it's going to be a doosie! A Double in 450/400 may be my next drug of choice :eek: That one is going to take some saving or a lucky lotto ticket.