Back country carry gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by flat8, Sep 21, 2018.

1. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Much like you I'm used to shooting 45s. My woods gun is a Springfield V16 Longslide shooting Buffalo Bore 255g hard cast at 1100 fps out of a 6 inch barrel. One of the few guns made for the 45 Super cartridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2019
    ChrisG and JakeH like this.

2. Martin77

Martin77 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    This is the exact gun I carry. I’m very happy with it.

3. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I have one of the first Ruger Redhawks built and I love it. I had a trigger job done on it and not it is as smooth as silk. The only drawback is the 7 1/2" barrel.

I also have a S&W 629 with a 6" barrel and between the two of them I prefer the Redhawk. I am still trying to talk a friend out of his Redhawk with a 5" barrel.

4. MikeW

MikeW AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I'm partial to the Ruger Alaskan for hikes/camping in the mountains of CO. Mine is in 454 Casull but have it typically loaded with heavy 45 Colt 325gr hard cast bullets. It is heavy but a good belt and holster makes it an easy all day carry. The grips on the Alaskan are excellent for the heavy loads and make even the 360gr 454 Casull loads manageable.

5. Mike Van Horn

Mike Van Horn AH Senior Member

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 44, which l hunted with and carried for years. Now l backpack hunt more and the Ruger is just to heavy. Purchased a Kimber Pro Carry ll in 45. Gave up a lot in fire power and distance but within 25 yards it is very accurate
    My opinion on bear spray is that it looks impressive on a fake charge! When they are bluffing it works, when their not you best have some firepower

6. edward

edward GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    bear spray better than a 300gr punch bullet where its supposed to go???i dont think so,maybe as a deodorant!!!
    good since of humor.

7. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    Supposed to go is the key phrase. A 1/2" bullet trying to hit a softball leaping and bounding at 35 miles an hour or one drop from a 6 foot spray.

I think we often get drunk on the idea that a gun solves a life threatening problem better than another method. Folks dream of telling their grandkids about the time their granddaddy killed a charging griz with a 44magnum and dropped him with one shot at 10 paces. That sounds more macho than telling the story about about the time a bear charged, you sprayed him in the face with pepper spray, and he ran away.

Ryan likes this.

8. Mike Van Horn

Mike Van Horn AH Senior Member

I wonder why they don't have Lion spray or maybe Cape Buffalo spray
    Do you really think that a bear protecting her cubs or your to close to the game they are feeding on is just going to stop because of pepper spray??
    It works on a false charge

Von S. likes this.