For Sale .50 B&M Rifle

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Background:
A good friend of mine, a world class pistol shooter (USPSA & IPSC) and firearms instructor, wanted an easy to handle big bore rifle for walks in Alaska and maybe take it for a DG hunt to Africa. I showed him the B&M class of rifles with 18" barrel and 38" overall length. He also wanted a true .500 caliber. So, we decided on the .50 B&M. I sourced it for him as I had built these rifles for myself.

By the time the rifle was built he was diagnosed with cancer and was not allowed to shoot big bores. He passed away last year after fighting cancer for two years. Never shot the rifle. I told his widow that I would see if I could sell it for her.

Rifle:
Information about this rifle caliber and load data etc. is here:
https://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/50-B-M.html

Specifics:
Model 70 CRF WSM action barreled by SSK industries NECG sights. Stock is forest green laminate with stainless sling studs and 1" Packmayr recoil pad, stock is by Accurate Innovations. 13.5" LOP

Rifle has been function checked after stock was installed.

Rifle also comes with dies and ~ 50 pieces of brass (there might also be some bullets in the box, not sure).

Total invested in this gun is $3,244 between all the parts and labor. I am pricing it at $2,595 (shipped to FFL + $50 if FFL to FFL is required) for a quick sale and you don't have to wait 8 months for the build, unfortunately I am left handed otherwise I would have kept it.

Pictures are below:

bIxTA5yl.jpg
ElTE1y3l.jpg
Ga0ExFil.jpg
odONUyvl.jpg
SZeYiSOl.jpg
vPpb46Il.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 5.13.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 5.13.39 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 238
Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I have a 500 MDM is cause there wasn't a ready made 50 B&M for sale. Simple wildcat to make brass for. Mr McCourry is a gentleman to deal with if you have any issues or questions. The rifles and cartridges are tried and true. Make this purchase with confidence, John

First off sorry about your buddy.

This is a great buy for someone who wants a .500 caliber rifle.

I believe Accurate Innovations puts some sort of a chassis in the stock. That in a laminate stock should guarantee that point of impact does not wander, whatever conditions you go into.

It would be pretty hard to build a better Alaska bear rifle than this one. Well thought out and built for the Alaskan Bush. Hell of a deal, wish I could use this one myself!

It would be pretty hard to build a better Alaska bear rifle than this one. Well thought out and built for the Alaskan Bush. Hell of a deal, wish I could use this one myself!

And several elephants, Cape buffalo etc. have been taken with .50 B&Ms as well.

I believe Accurate Innovations puts some sort of a chassis in the stock. That in a laminate stock should guarantee that point of impact does not wander, whatever conditions you go into.

Exactly, they build an aluminum chassis inside the stock and that also helps reduce recoil.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.23 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.24 AM.png
    683.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.26 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.36 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.38 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 9.27.42 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
Very cool rifle and cartridge. Someone should enjoy this rifle.

Sorry to hear about your friend's passing. You are doing a good thing to help with this.

Thanks, "Ron Avery" was a legend. He left a mark and a legacy, not many can say the same. I am a better person for having known him and being his friend.

I just did a quick search for him and wow, quite the accomplished gentleman. I'll have to do some more reading later.

For some crazy reason I keep being drawn back to this gun and I now know why!
Ron Avery was a good friend of mine, we were fellow compeditorss for years in USPSA in the Colorado circuit! We were often times on the same squads in matches around the country, many times shared spaces on "Super Squads" and I was the least Super on the squad but he always pushed me to be better! I had shot years of IPSC before it became USPSA but I learned more about the sport from Ron than anyone else, especially the practical side. We spent a lot of time talking about hunting, fishing, camping, wildlife and sharing our love for the outdoors!
One long discussion of how we occasionally placed our selves in harms way lead us to each build a 460 Rowland ( Steve Moore was our gun smith). Mine on a 2011 STI frame and Ron's on a Colt 1911! after completion we shared loads and took turns with each other's guns and ultimately we each had one on a 1911 and an STI frame, each gun built for a special purpose! I still carry my 460's frequently when 4 legged critters maybe an issue whether in Alaska or on my ranch in Wyoming.
It wasn't the only gun or "Project" we worked together on! All had a special purpose or plan in mind! I miss you old boy!
I knew there was a special purpose in this gun that kept drawing me back for a look,
And Ron it's all I can do to not say "I'll take it", but as I sleep tonight if you happen to stop by and whisper to me "Doc this is what my thoughts were on this" and I'll likely say "damn it, that is perfect"
This is a gun that was thought thru in fine detail by a great guy that I truly miss!

...It wasn't the only gun or "Project" we worked together on! All had a special purpose or plan in mind! I miss you old boy!
I knew there was a special purpose in this gun that kept drawing me back for a look,
And Ron it's all I can do to not say "I'll take it", but as I sleep tonight if you happen to stop by and whisper to me "Doc this is what my thoughts were on this" and I'll likely say "damn it, that is perfect"
This is a gun that was thought thru in fine detail by a great guy that I truly miss!

Yeah, this gun was a product of many nights of discussions at St. George. Also, got me going on a .458 B&M project that I had an action for but had not commissioned the barrel and stock for it.

Our first test was going to be a bison hunt here in the States. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. :(

The next project we had planned was dual .300 Magnums. He was going to go for .300WM and me the .300 RUM for longer distance hunts. He did the research and specified Deviant Hunter action from Defiance Machine. I started that project a few months ago and Defiance Machine just shipped the action, it arrives Friday (5/1). Once it is built (and it will have the same forest green laminate stock as the gun for sale), I will think of Ron every time I pull the trigger on plains game.

B&M vs. MDM cartridges? Could/would you explain? Thanks!

B&M rifles are based off of Winchester M70 WSM actions, the MDM is based on the Winchester M70 .300 RUM action and the 500 MDM is designed to be a ballistic duplicate of .500 NE.

So, B&M rifles which can be effective at with an 18" barrel are handier in the field. You need a 20" barrel with the .500 MDM plus the action is longer too.

I do love my .500 MDM but I would have been fine with the .50 B&M from elephants to anything else. It pushes a 450 grain CEB solid at 2,250 and that is more than enough for elephant.

If I can't get my .500 NE ready for this August, I will take my .458 B&M (ballistic duplicate of .50 B&M) for Cape Buffalo and Elephant using 450 grain CEB solids and 420 grain CEB raptor. With a 258 grain CEB tipped raptor it becomes a plains game rifle as well.

Dont know where you located in CO but if you are interested in buying a B&M (highly recommended!) or shooting my 500 MDM maybe we can meet up down there some time? I'm in WY, but have family near Castlerock.

B&M rifles are based off of Winchester M70 WSM actions, the MDM is based on the Winchester M70 .300 RUM action and the 500 MDM is designed to be a ballistic duplicate of .500 NE.

So, B&M rifles which can be effective at with an 18" barrel are handier in the field. You need a 20" barrel with the .500 MDM plus the action is longer too.

I do love my .500 MDM but I would have been fine with the .50 B&M from elephants to anything else. It pushes a 450 grain CEB solid at 2,250 and that is more than enough for elephant.

If I can't get my .500 NE ready for this August, I will take my .458 B&M (ballistic duplicate of .50 B&M) for Cape Buffalo and Elephant using 450 grain CEB solids and 420 grain CEB raptor. With a 258 grain CEB tipped raptor it becomes a plains game rifle as well.
The .458 B&M is intriguing? A blown out WM case (shorter?) without the belt? I have lots of .458 bullets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!