Back country carry gun

Now that we decided what is the proper firearm and caliber for defense against a bear, what is the correct shot placement for a charging bear? What is the proper shooting stance? What is the proper shooting grip?:A Victory:

Most likely you will stick it in his ear while he is chewing on you. Hate to be a killjoy but the chances of stopping a charge with a .40/.45/10/.44 are not good. Mentally be prepared and don’t let go of that gun! I had a buddy jumped in the caribou hills while packing out. Another buddy shot the bear off him.

Most likely you will stick it in his ear while he is chewing on you. Hate to be a killjoy but the chances of stopping a charge with a .40/.45/10/.44 are not good. Mentally be prepared and don’t let go of that gun! I had a buddy jumped in the caribou hills while packing out. Another buddy shot the bear off him.

This may be a good training drill

8 rounds, .22 Mag. ;) A ported, short 460 would do 'er too. Pleasures to shoot! 'Had a non-ported 629 in .44 and with heavy handloads it was a bear to shoot.
1601941910821.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mentally be prepared and don’t let go of that gun!

On the serious side, the concept brought up in that sentence I believe is a key component to surviving an up close and personal experience with a bear.

If you know the bear is going to hit you where does the gun need to be? My suggestion would be to pull it to your chest, tuck your elbow into the side of you body and be ready to step or roll. After the initial contact playing dead would still be an option at this time. If the bear continues a serious attack then bringing the firearm back into play at extreme close range becomes the next option.

As full discloser I have never been attacked by a bear. My only experience with dangerous game has been one cape buffalo that had no idea I was there until after the .470 bullet destroyed its heart and of course about a half dozen rattlesnakes that have managed to get within striking distance without me knowing about it. Rattlesnakes require a completely different plan.

Now that we decided what is the proper firearm and caliber for defense against a bear, what is the correct shot placement for a charging bear? What is the proper shooting stance? What is the proper shooting grip?:A Victory:

Shooting stance and grip:

1601942032999.png

Shot placement:
1601942248101.png

FTW!

Been charged twice. They are fast!

Well @colorado gets no traction with me on bear defense advice. I called shenanigans when he didn't involve the .500 Jeffery.

Reactions: WAB
I once had a griz take a dump in the doorway to my tent, while we were sleeping in it! I think he was sending us a message.

On a serious note, a couple was dragged from their tent in their sleeping bags and killed in western Alaska a number of years ago. Best to have you bear defense in the bag with you.

My cousin stopped this wounded bear charge this year with his Glock 20. I asked if he was happy with the glock. He said if he only had 5 rounds and more recoil to manage it probably would have ended poorly. We also train a lot with that gun. Over 1000 rounds before that hunt.
1601963986004.png

"Too many stories about hunters out deer hunting (generally public land) and getting "ambused", where they had killed a deer, leaned their firearm against a not so near by tree, get accosted by an asshole with a gun in their hand, telling them that is their deer, they can come back for their gun later. "

:oops:its a joke,isn't it ?

nearby,I have never seen anyone on our range with a Glock get a good shot.
With Heckler+Koch,Beretta, or Walther(the trigger there is super) it was different (I have none of these weapons myself)
Good for me means, a whole magazine on 25 m in a big fist

Last edited:
My cousin stopped this wounded bear charge this year with his Glock 20. I asked if he was happy with the glock. He said if he only had 5 rounds and more recoil to manage it probably would have ended poorly. We also train a lot with that gun. Over 1000 rounds before that hunt.
View attachment 370752
Out of curiosity what is your hunting or backup load for this gun?

The best available scientific data suggests that bear spray is actually more likely to protect you than is a handgun.

And it avoids the long conversation with the game warden discussing whether or not you needed to shoot that bear.

Looks like the bear showed her who's boss. Spray me with bear spray,'ll show you.

"Too many stories about hunters out deer hunting (generally public land) and getting "ambused", where they had killed a deer, leaned their firearm against a not so near by tree, get accosted by an asshole with a gun in their hand, telling them that is their deer, they can come back for their gun later. "

:oops:its a joke,isn't it ?

nearby,I have never seen anyone on our range with a Glock get a good shot.
With Heckler+Koch,Beretta, or Walther(the trigger there is super) it was different (I have none of these weapons myself)
Good for me means, a whole magazine on 25 m in a big fist

My 9mm Glock shoots 10 ring groups all day at 50metres and puts most revolver shooters to shame. Nothing at all wrong with Glock accuracy.

View attachment 370752

There is a small Danish scout unit ( Slædepatruljen SIRIUS) ,that conducts dog sled patrols on Greenland.
These soldiers are equipped with the Glock 20 (10mm Auto) for protection against polar bears.
1602052010361.png

Last edited:
You know every time I have somebody enlighten me about the likelihood of bear spray protecting me I think back to this video: Warning Screeching Greenie... earplugs recommended...

1602064152729.png

helps to 90% in that case
the rest is destiny

@Hunter 475...
respect- 50 m is enormous

Better a powerful semi-auto (Glock 20 in 10mm or Springfield V16 in 45 Super) shooting Buffalo Bore hardcast that we shoot well, than a heavy revolver in a larger caliber that we don't. If the handgun is relatively light (compared to a 44 Mag or 454 Casuul) and compact, you're more likely to always have it on you. For those of you who shoot revolvers routinely, well and are used to carrying them, they are a better choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois