Back country carry gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by flat8, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Guys, it is all about sight alignment and trigger squeeze. If you want to be a better shot with a handgun you need to practice with it. Better yet join a club that shoots Bullseye. Learn to control a 22 and the bigger stuff comes easy, it just has a bigger bang. BTW at 75 I still shoot Bullseye twice a week. My hunting revolver is an old three screw Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Mag.

Bullthrower338 and sgt_zim like this.

2. larry4831

larry4831 AH Enthusiast

Because I have the relatively new Ruger super Blackhawk in 480 and 454 and with hot loads the Blackhawks are easier to shoot than the Redhawk with a hot load. However, the Redhawk with a hard cast 360 grain bullet loaded with 21 or 22 grains of H-110 is a real beast. My Redhawk with a 4" barrel is a little easier to carry than the Blackhawks with the 6.5" barrels. The recoil of the Redhawk is brutal. It's not a SA vs DA It's just what I have and what I feel like carrying at the time.

sgt_zim likes this.

3. Von S.

Von S. AH Enthusiast

Shootist,

The first round I squeezed out of a 500 s&w has 500 grain loads that were absolutely horrible.

It felt like Roger Marris hit my hand with a bat. I put it down on the bench and started laughing and tried to run the sting off my hand and gave it a couple of oh boys. A 460 was like a sissy round compared to this handgun.

A nice guy here sent me a nice pm and told me not to quit. And who am I to argue with a guy who killed an elephant with a handgun and 60 other heads of big game?

I loaded 350 grain hp,s pretty warm and after abox or so and mounting a scope I got ok with it up to 100 yards.

Yesterday I shot a small deer in the chest and he went down like he was hit by a truck. No too far away and truthfully I don't care for shooting eating animals with a pistol or revolver as I won't attempt to shoot them with a handgun in the head as I don't have the confidence that I have with a rifle.

A fella at the range asked me if I wanted to shoot his 458 Win Mag revolver....I thanked him and said no as it must assuridly kick way worse than my 500.

Chances are I'll never hunt with it again, but it was one hell of a stopper.

Shootist43 likes this.

4. charleslabounty

charleslabounty AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, IDPA, RTBA
    Hunted:
    US and now RSA
    F44B5DD9-9F38-4F3C-B266-245BFE7722D1.jpeg
    Ruger
    Alaskan
    Ammo 340 gn Buffaloe Bore ( note a sticker on the box states not for use in S&W or Taurus)
    Carried in Ruger’s chest carry fabric rig - very comfortable carry set up while stream fishing in Alaska.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    sgt_zim likes this.

5. Shootist43

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    I spent many years running the Pistol Range during our Club's "sight in days." We had both 25 and 50 Yd. targets available. There was one group of four guys that came almost every year with their 454 Casulls neither of them ever put 5 shots into the black from the bench let alone off-hand. They complained that I would not let them move to the 50 Yd. line because that is where their "bait pile" was. Towards the end of the day when things were slowing down, I'd get out my scoped Blackhawk and proceed to put 10 out of 10 shots into the black at 50 Yds. They "challenged" me to do that with their 454 Casulls which to their amazement I did. But to this day I can remember not liking it one bit. One thing about big revolvers, the grips need to fit your hand. If they don't you'll get "bit" every time you pull the trigger.

IvW, Von S. and sgt_zim like this.

6. sgt_zim

sgt_zim BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    Yeppers.

I've also found over the years that confidence is every bit as important as technique. While shooting IPSC or IDPA is a different beast, accuracy for hunting and self-defense isn't difficult to obtain.

As long as you know what the 4 primary technique errors look like on your target, it's easy to figure out what you're doing wrong and correct it.

When I was a police cadet and we first went to the pistol range, I expected I'd shoot well. I did, and shot Marksman in pretty short order. With some technique refinement over a couple more weeks, I was shooting high expert (590+ out of 600 possible points) and never looked back. All that with an out-of-the-box SW 686.

7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I did too. I am convinced every hand gun I have ever shot is actually a shotgun in disguise. (at least that is what the targets always look like) In my life they are fun noise makers. :unsure:

Von S. and spike.t like this.

8. Shootist43

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Generally speaking, good pistol shooters make good rifle shooters. It doesn't work the other way around.

ChrisG likes this.

9. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I am living proof of that one.

10. sgt_zim

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. sgt_zim

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    Art, what's really funny...after I'd been on the department a couple years and it came time for my annual qualification (by this time, I'd moved to a Sig P-220)...

Within the first 3 rounds (36 total shots fired, 12 per round), I'd so thoroughly shot out the center of the target that I'd intentionally not shoot my last couple bullets on the 3rd round and still get full credit of 120 points for that round. The scorers just assumed I'd put all 12 shots into the gaping hole that was the 10 ring. A little chest thumping, but it ain't bragging if it's true. ;)

I'm not that good anymore, but still pretty good.

12. Shootist43

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    I understand completely. I still make the "actual team" more times then not, in our South Eastern Michigan Pistol Association Matches but I don't shoot as good as I used to either. Last summer while shooting outdoors at 50 Yd. targets (one handed) I told a buddy of mine that also holds a NRA Masters Classification that "compared to the good old days, we don't shoot for sh** but we can still outshoot 99% of the overall population."

spike.t, sgt_zim and Von S. like this.

13. ChrisG

ChrisG BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    That is ABSOLUTELY true! I was a mediocre shot with a rifle until I turned 21, got a job as an armored car guard and was required to qualify. After sending some 2,000 rounds down range during that 47 hour course, My pistol shooting got better. So I determined to become even better at it and over the years I have probably expended 10s of thousands of rounds into the ranges berm, trying to learn from each shot why it did or didn't go where I wanted it to... I am by no means as accomplished as most bullseye shooters. I was satisfied with basic practical skills, which in my mind, meant hitting a 8" circle at 50 yards 9 out of 10 times. I don'town a .44 magnum anymore as I just shot better with smaller guns, which is why I settled on the .45 Super.

Anyway, applying pistol shooting techniques to rifles VASTLY improves rifle shooting in a way that hundreds or thousands of rifle rounds may not. In my mind, the best riflemen are not the ones who can hit a gong at 500 yards with a $5,000 custom rifle and a bunch of ballistics charts... they are the ones that can skip a bowling pin along the ground with a bolt action rifle at 100 yards, and the only time it stops moving is when they have burned up their 4 or 5 rounds.

Hitting steel at 700 yards is a firearms math game, hitting moving targets at 75 yards is a firearms skills game.

14. sgt_zim

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    Nice to have those skills. Means the only way a turd is going to get you is to catch you up short, or maybe has a golden bb in his gun. Otherwise, it's always our party.

Shootist43 likes this.