Back country carry gun

There are many many studies on this, here are a few ...

I don't doubt bear spray can be effective most of the time, but how many of us are proficient with it? I'm pretty damn decent with both of my 45s I go to the range twice a month, put a hundred rounds down range. I've also dealt with bear situations numerous times so I don't panic easily. I can just see myself fumbling for bear spray only to realize the wind was blowing from the same direction the bear was coming

Thank you Dad for handgun info.
Like you I have had some bear expierences, most of them on Kodiak. My brother and I for a number of years did a DIY float trip fishing for steelhead and hunting blacktail. The trips were 3 weeks in duration. We always had deer meat which we hung in the alder/willow trees on the islands in the river.
I used a 340 for hunting and an 18 “
barrel 870 on the river and my go to gun at night in the tent.
Guess I could have used a handgun.

Well son, that shotgun is great until you're fly fishing and it's leaning against a tree 50 feet away and the bear is in the river 30' from you

Well Dad as I am 89 being called son is a compliment and making the assumptions you did does not speak to credibility.
I will now call you Junior.

Shootist,

The first round I squeezed out of a 500 s&w has 500 grain loads that were absolutely horrible.

It felt like Roger Marris hit my hand with a bat. I put it down on the bench and started laughing and tried to run the sting off my hand and gave it a couple of oh boys. A 460 was like a sissy round compared to this handgun.

A nice guy here sent me a nice pm and told me not to quit. And who am I to argue with a guy who killed an elephant with a handgun and 60 other heads of big game?

I loaded 350 grain hp,s pretty warm and after abox or so and mounting a scope I got ok with it up to 100 yards.

Yesterday I shot a small deer in the chest and he went down like he was hit by a truck. No too far away and truthfully I don't care for shooting eating animals with a pistol or revolver as I won't attempt to shoot them with a handgun in the head as I don't have the confidence that I have with a rifle.

A fella at the range asked me if I wanted to shoot his 458 Win Mag revolver....I thanked him and said no as it must assuridly kick way worse than my 500.

Chances are I'll never hunt with it again, but it was one hell of a stopper.
I had a similar experience concerning the 460 and the 500. Shot them both for the first time on the same day. I’m not big on recoil already and to me the 500 seemed far worse than the 460.

This is for close in stuff,Magnum Research BFR in 454 Casull.Thats Biggest Finest Revolver!When I was guiding in Montana an Old timer told me to file the front sight off of my S&W 629 in 44 mag.When I asked why,he said when that Grizzly bear shoves it up your arse ,it won’t hurt so bad.

Phil Shoemaker (famous Alaskan brown bear guide) killed a bear at less than 10' attacking a client fly fishing with a 9mm. Handguns work if you can shoot.

One of the grand mysteries of life is when I see a fella going out hunting with a rifle and then I see a great big giant hog leg attached to his hip.

And if the conditions present themselves just right I do ask why.

Amazingly, Many is the woods walking squires who say ," in case the rifle breaks".

The next amazement comes from hikers carrying something that just doesn't go with shorts and a tee shirt and that is .the same 3 and 1/4 ton hog leg that makes out enjoyer of nature walk lopsided by noon.

And with that most can't put 6 in a pie tin at 25 yards.

Carry something you can hit with, like a 17 glock or other high cap pistol.

A good hit with a 9 is better then a miss with a boomer.

My first 44 mag handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. It wasn't the barrel length I wanted, but it was the only 44 mag in stock and only flavor I wanted.

It was for an unexpected black bear hunt in the North Carolina mountains, and to back up my 7mm Rem Mag.

Several years later I sold that Ruger and bought another Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt with a 4+ inch barrel. As a back up for my 45 and 50 cal muzzle loading rifles, and 12 gauge shotgun while deer hunting up in Ohio.

In the areas we were hunting bear in NC the under growth goes from so thick you can see through it to clear open space, a bear can come out of nowhere, at anytime, trying to maneuver a rifle in the thick stuff is next to impossible, let alone trying to get a kill shot.

Too many stories about hunters out deer hunting (generally public land) and getting "ambused", where they had killed a deer, leaned their firearm against a not so near by tree, get accosted by an asshole with a gun in their hand, telling them that is their deer, they can come back for their gun later.

Then there have been those several occasions where I hadn't seen a deer all morning, leaned my rifle or shotgun against a tree next to me, and POOF, surprise, there's a deer or coyote walking toward or broadside, only a few yards or feet, from me. To much movement to reach the rifle, but I can slip my handgun from out of the holster for the shot(s).

Now a days depending on where, what, and the legal hunting weapon, or just out hiking/scouting I carry either a 1911, 45 ACP or 4 inch 44 mag.

My first 44 mag handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. It wasn't the barrel length I wanted, but it was the only 44 mag in stock and only flavor I wanted.

It was for an unexpected black bear hunt in the North Carolina mountains, and to back up my 7mm Rem Mag.

Several years later I sold that Ruger and bought another Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt with a 4+ inch barrel. As a back up for my 45 and 50 cal muzzle loading rifles, and 12 gauge shotgun while deer hunting up in Ohio.

In the areas we were hunting bear in NC the under growth goes from so thick you can see through it to clear open space, a bear can come out of nowhere, at anytime, trying to maneuver a rifle in the thick stuff is next to impossible, let alone trying to get a kill shot.

Too many stories about hunters out deer hunting (generally public land) and getting "ambused", where they had killed a deer, leaned their firearm against a not so near by tree, get accosted by an asshole with a gun in their hand, telling them that is their deer, they can come back for their gun later.

Then there have been those several occasions where I hadn't seen a deer all morning, leaned my rifle or shotgun against a tree next to me, and POOF, surprise, there's a deer or coyote walking toward or broadside, only a few yards or feet, from me. To much movement to reach the rifle, but I can slip my handgun from out of the holster for the shot(s).

Now a days depending on where, what, and the legal hunting weapon, or just out hiking/scouting I carry either a 1911, 45 ACP or 4 inch 44 mag.
Funny you should mention that...I once got into a disagreement with a gentleman that tried to use a shotgun to bully me. A .357 slouched from a pocket changed his demeanor in short order. No Daisy at all.

I’ll be on kodiak in November..

In addition to my 308 (deer hunting)... I’ll be carrying my Glock g40 in a chest rig..

Someone, might have been Phil, told me of a Marine saying "You only have a pistol so you can't fight your way back to your rifle"

Best Regards,

Chuck

I tried a S&W Model 69 44 Mag when I moved to Alaska. The problem I had with it was I couldn't shoot it as well as my old Glock 19, even with light loads and lots of practice. I love revolvers I just don't shoot them as well.

I had the opportunity to shoot my 44 on a target that simulated a charging bear. I think I got off 3 shots and only one was likely a solid hit. With a Glock 29 10mm I got off all 10 shots and I think 4 or 5 would have been serious hits on the bear. The 44 is gone and I carry the Glock exclusively as my backup gun.

Now something to think on. I like the Glock 29 because it is small, light and easy to carry. But I tried a friend's Glock 40 10mm. That longer site radius makes a difference. I shot a lot better with it. I'm keeping the Glock 29 for now but a Glock 20 or Glock 40 might actually be a better choice if you don't mind the weight.

Some of my friends here have massive revolvers like the Taurus Raging Bull 454 with a long barrel. The problem is these revolvers get taken off and left a lot. I'd prefer something that is always on me. If the gun is going to be sitting next to me it might as well be a shotgun.

Too bad the 29 didn’t work for you. The .44 is still light for bear but really the best handgun caliber without going to a hand cannon. I carry a S&W mountain gun in .44. It is very accurate.

I tried a S&W Model 69 44 Mag when I moved to Alaska. The problem I had with it was I couldn't shoot it as well as my old Glock 19, even with light loads and lots of practice. I love revolvers I just don't shoot them as well.

I had the opportunity to shoot my 44 on a target that simulated a charging bear. I think I got off 3 shots and only one was likely a solid hit. With a Glock 29 10mm I got off all 10 shots and I think 4 or 5 would have been serious hits on the bear. The 44 is gone and I carry the Glock exclusively as my backup gun.

Now something to think on. I like the Glock 29 because it is small, light and easy to carry. But I tried a friend's Glock 40 10mm. That longer site radius makes a difference. I shot a lot better with it. I'm keeping the Glock 29 for now but a Glock 20 or Glock 40 might actually be a better choice if you don't mind the weight.
That sounds like you are on the right track to something you can control. I like the 29 as it is easily maintained in the field and dropping in the creek or mud is easily correctable. One piece of advice is buy only the full size magazines here on out and carry them as back up so that you have fully compatible ammunition supply chain when you buy the 20 or 40.

Too bad the 29 didn’t work for you. The .44 is still light for bear but really the best handgun caliber without going to a hand cannon. I carry a S&W mountain gun in .44. It is very accurate.
You missed it was the 5 shot 69 and not a six shot 29. There is quite the difference in the two. The former was too much bullet and not enough gun to control.

Reactions: WAB
I picked up a Kimber 1911 in 45 colt. Sweet comfortable shooter and very accurate. It's nicer to shoot than my Sig Sauer 9mm.

The 69 is nice. Its cheaper then the S&W Model 329 and almost as light. I would load mine up with 44 Special as a concealed carry for town.

The issue is that I can't shoot any revolver double action as well as a Glock. Believe me I wanted it to work and I did a lot of practice.

I can shoot a revolver single action fairly well but not as good as a Glock. The grip of a revolver just isn't as solid in my hands. And of course single action is slower.

I would not say recoil bothered me, it just slowed follow up shots.

The perfect carry gun would be a Glock in 460 Rowland IF you could make it reliable. I tried it and it just didn't work 100%. I know of a guy who spent 2 years tweaking his. I'd suggest you avoid it unless you have unlimited time and money. Now if Glock would enineer one themselves that would be cool.

Some of my friends here have massive revolvers like the Taurus Raging Bull 454 with a long barrel. The problem is these revolvers get taken off and left a lot. I'd prefer something that is always on me. If the gun is going to be sitting next to me it might as well be a shotgun.
not being wise,but the heavy handguns are a lot lighter than the bear,and kill faster.

A lot of professional Alaskan brown bear guides have gone to Glock 10mms

Reactions: WAB
The 69 is nice. Its cheaper then the S&W Model 329 and almost as light. I would load mine up with 44 Special as a concealed carry for town.

The issue is that I can't shoot any revolver double action as well as a Glock. Believe me I wanted it to work and I did a lot of practice.

I can shoot a revolver single action fairly well but not as good as a Glock. The grip of a revolver just isn't as solid in my hands. And of course single action is slower.

I would not say recoil bothered me, it just slowed follow up shots.

The perfect carry gun would be a Glock in 460 Rowland IF you could make it reliable. I tried it and it just didn't work 100%. I know of a guy who spent 2 years tweaking his. I'd suggest you avoid it unless you have unlimited time and money. Now if Glock would enineer one themselves that would be cool.
Glock 41, lone wolf barrel, .45 super. Not an improvement energy wise over your 10mm, but a heavier, bigger bullet at around the same energy. If you ported it, you could load the super up to 460 Rowland ballistics. My 45 super pushes a 200 grain bullet to around 1,250 fps easily

Now that we decided what is the proper firearm and caliber for defense against a bear, what is the correct shot placement for a charging bear? What is the proper shooting stance? What is the proper shooting grip?:A Victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross