Always do as you Professional Hunter says

Wow, just wow. This could've ended badly. The second buff taken with the second shot was on the move, not a situation for taking the first shot. Fortunately he made a good shot, but that could've easily have been a bad shot leading to a dangerous follow up.

As far as the hunter being confused or excited, I guess I don't want to be too judgmental, but I'm not buying it. First shot was taken from either kneeling or sitting position. As the client comes to his feet you can clearly hear the PH say the one on the right. I would have to think the client heard this and should've if he didn't already know at that point be sure of what he was to shoot.

Furthermore after listening to and watching the video several times, the client says, "I'll be honest with you I saw the other buffalo in my scope and I took them both." Sounds like it was intentional to me.

Hats off to the PH for keeping his cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something, when the PH kept saying the one on the right, the Buffalo was clearly not on the right any longer after the first shot and was a good 30-40 yards to the left of the other one. I can't understand what the PH was saying when he was whispering because my hearing is shit, so maybe the explanation is in that somewhere? Was the one that he shot second the one the PH was originally thinking he was going to shoot?

Furthermore after listening to and watching the video several times, the client says, "I'll be honest with you I saw the other buffalo in my scope and I took them both." Sounds like it was intentional to me.

Hats off to the PH for keeping his cool.
I thought the same when I watched/heard it. Really makes you appreciate PHs for their professionalism knowing the type of clients they might have to tolerate when you aren’t there.

Yeah I think he knew he was shooting two buff lol. Good for him if he can afford it. Definitely a cool PH !!!
I thought the hunter knew what he was doing, he intentionally shot both. He was joking about it at the end. Good for him, if no financial worries.

Shooter definitely knew he was shooting a 2nd Buffalo with the 2nd shot. Ignores his PH saying "right" and again saying "wait." That's why I call him a shooter, not a hunter.

Respect to the PH for keeping his cool. Disappointing to see a trophy shooter get trigger happy when he sees two animals and decide to act on his own and against PH directions.

However, since I don't have all details, I'll suspend full judgment. It is indeed possible this is an area where there is no issue with shooting multiple Buffalo (as long as you have the checkbook to support it), in both sustainable herds and legal activity. In the event there was no problem with shooting 2, then kudos on the good shooting.

So Eastern Cape? That would make this a stocked buffalo operation

Not necessarily Red Leg. There are a few areas available in the Eastern Cape where no Buffalo are supplemented into the areas.

IIRC Jack Brittingham also shot two Buffalo by mistake in one of his “Quest for...” videos. Or I guess one was planned, but he ended up with two.

I received this video one day before it was posted here. A friend sent it to me on viber.
So, I am guessing this video is viral in some safari circles.

Not necessarily Red Leg. There are a few areas available in the Eastern Cape where no Buffalo are supplemented into the areas.
Point taken. I should have said “probably.”

That demonstrates the professionalism of a PH right there.

Client completely screws up - but he does not allow verbal criticism of his client

He (the PH) get's the thumbs up from me
I have hunted with that PH many times. He is as good as they get.

Ha!
"I'm gonna be honest with you, I saw 'em in the scope and I took 'em both."
Sounds pretty intentional.

Next sentence off camera..."Here's the title to my truck and my house, and a contract for your entitlement to my first born."

Ha!
"I'm gonna be honest with you, I saw 'em in the scope and I took 'em both."
Sounds pretty intentional.

Next sentence off camera..."Here's the title to my truck and my house, and a contract for your entitlement to my first born."
Yeah I heard something about "32 grand" in the background lol . That would be a tough financial pill for me to swallow!

There is another video, same ph, different client and a very Similar thing happens with a couple warthogs. Client missed the second pig fortunately while the ph is yelling in the back ground. Stuff happens. . . I think if you hunt in the states where you maybe shoot one animal a year, Africa south or otherwise can get overwhelming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross