Always do as you Professional Hunter says

Yeah I was thinking the same thing!!!! I'd definitely rather spend ten days hunting multiple species than go to Africa for one big expensive animal. I'm a working man lol

We’re all wired differently. I would rather track buff for days and fire one well placed shot at the end of a stalk than fill the bakkie w PG. thankfully Africa can fulfill both our dreams!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing!!!! I'd definitely rather spend ten days hunting multiple species than go to Africa for one big expensive animal. I'm a working man lol

I loved my plains game hunt, wouldn't trade it for the world, and will do plains game again. Since I was a kid many decades ago I have dreamed of a cape buffalo hunt. I would gladly spend ten days hunting without taking any other game just to get a chance at one.

I honestly wouldn't consider my life complete until I stand over my Cape Buffalo, with my double rifle in hand and a smile on my face that will last for eternity.

Well all I can say I turn left when I was told right frequently. Maybe my brain is jacked up but that's what happens. I know I am not the only one.

Good news for all of us, the money is not coming out of our pocket. We are able to learn a lesson from this individual.

I know when buck fever sets in, it has messed up many good men. That is one of those internal struggles, I see some people get so excited they shake and I see other with no apparent affect. Who is getting the most out of it?

I personally get a bigger adrenaline rush watching my boys shoot than I do.

Anyways just a different perspective

I hope he was from Eastern Canada , us westerners are usually quite polite. Beyond me how someone could be like that on Safari. It should be one of the happiest time of ones life!
I'm sure it was a case of "Instant A$$HOLE...just add alcohol". Even here in Western Canada we have lots. I can't stand being around people like that. We have several Eastern Canadians on here that I'd love to share a camp with. And the people of Newfoundland where my in-laws live are incredible.
But I completely agree with you...how could anybody ever be angry while on safari!

I loved my plains game hunt, wouldn't trade it for the world, and will do plains game again. Since I was a kid many decades ago I have dreamed of a cape buffalo hunt. I would gladly spend ten days hunting without taking any other game just to get a chance at one.

I honestly wouldn't consider my life complete until I stand over my Cape Buffalo, with my double rifle in hand and a smile on my face that will last for eternity.

Be prepared, buffalo hunting is addictive! I went for my once in a lifetime buffalo hunt many buffalo ago.

I have unfortunately witnessed a similar misadventure on a moose hunt here in the US. I was along as a helper to the Guide who is a friend of mine. Nervous client shoots a nice bull that runs for heavy cover and water on the other side of a bay. Now, overly excited client stops listening and runs along the bank and fires a second and third shot despite myself and the guide urging him to stop and slow down. Now, really super excited client runs and stumbles upon the first bull in the grass while trying to approach what he thinks is his bull he anchored in the cover with his follow-up shots. The second bull, in the cover, is a little guy - not even close to the same animal as the first one. My biggest concern at the time was that my friend was having trouble not putting a serious beat down on the super excited, uncooperative, now indignant client (hey buddy, it's not my fault). It's been a while but, we've often wondered if the second and third shots were nerves or stupidity or bravado or what. People can do strange things.

My 2¢..... He £u©k€d up and made an offhand excuse that he saw the second one and decided to take both. A stupid, bravado thing for him to say to try to cover up his mistake from being so excited. He was probably too embarrassed to admit his mistake. I understand buck fever, but this time it's REALLY gonna cost! Guy seems like a bit of an ass though. Why not just admit he facked up? I don't know of any honest hunter who hasn't made a mistake of some kind. Own it. Take your lumps. Learn from it. Move on.
Now, if it WAS intentional, then he really IS an ass! Listen to your PH. Show some respect. Represent where you came from with at least a little bit of honor and dignity. And like @VertigoBE said, you NEVER shoot a second animal if the first isn't down yet. This especially holds true with dangerous game. That can put everyone involved at risk, and for what? And if it's not dangerous game, how about just having some respect for the animal and ensuring as humane a kill as possible?
Maybe I just want to believe it was unintentional because I want to see the good in people. (Or in this case, the lesser of two evils) One way he's an A$$, the other he's an A$$-hole! I bet that PH was glad to see him go. I wouldn't want to be in a camp with someone like that. But the guy can shoot. I'll give him that!

Am I missing something, when the PH kept saying the one on the right, the Buffalo was clearly not on the right any longer after the first shot and was a good 30-40 yards to the left of the other one. I can't understand what the PH was saying when he was whispering because my hearing is shit, so maybe the explanation is in that somewhere? Was the one that he shot second the one the PH was originally thinking he was going to shoot?
@Mike B. & @Mike B. 216
I can see how you think that, but we can't see everything in this video. Trust the PH and the final result and imagine the in-between that we couldn't see.
Hunter shoots buff #1. PH keeps eyes on wounded buff and tells hunter to shoot same (one on right, regardless of if it looks that way on the video or not) Hunter shoots at buff on left instead.(#2) Buff that was shot originally (#1) is showing signs he's going down when hunter shoots him again. (While the PH is saying "Wait! Wait!") By now buff #2 is right of buff #1 and it goes down too.
Watch it again and you'll probably see. Notice that just before we can't see him anymore (because of the cameraman being behind the hunter and PH) the wounded buff #1 is already starting to turn. He was definitely the one on the right when Mr. Trigger shot #2 on the left rather than listening to his PH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg