AH Dinner at DSC 2018.....what night? Other feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep Sounds like Friday to me! But Phil schedule it for a longer time frame we were having so much fun no one wanted to leave. Heck I'd be glad to spend a couple extra bucks to spend time with friends.

@Bullthrower338 did you find me a cat hunt Yet? :ROFLMAO: Rich the Bull$hitter on Mountain men failed again.:E Rofl:

Friday or Saturday work for me.

Friday is great. Saturday night is with family for me.

Another question is does everyone try to stay at the same hotel?

Along with @GA Hunter 's question - I am a newbie and hope to attend my first DSC show this year. Besides a hotel recommendation, what else do I need to know? How early to book hotel etc, what days are the best (i.e if I can't take off work Thursday am I missing anything big?), events that are a must see/do for a first timer. Anything you all think would be helpful

Look forward to meeting some of you guys in person if I can sneak off from work that weekend!

@PHOENIX PHIL and some others can pipe in on the hotels folks usually stay at that are close. Since it is Dallas you don't have to book way in advance, but if you want to be really close it won't hurt.

Along with @GA Hunter 's question - I am a newbie and hope to attend my first DSC show this year. Besides a hotel recommendation, what else do I need to know? How early to book hotel etc, what days are the best (i.e if I can't take off work Thursday am I missing anything big?), events that are a must see/do for a first timer. Anything you all think would be helpful

Look forward to meeting some of you guys in person if I can sneak off from work that weekend!

The nice thing about Thursday and Friday is that they aren't as crowded and you can spend some quality time with outfitters and get a feel for them.

My best advice is to simply go and absorb. Definitely do the dinner and figure out if there are any folks in particular that will be there that you'd like to meet.

If you have a specific hunt or time frame in mind then you should certainly be more focused and the auctions are worth looking into. Make sure you do your research if you go this route. I've never done an auction, but would, assuming I knew something about the outfitter, or had another reason to take the risk.

Have fun!

I'd recommend going to the DSC website for hotel suggestions : https://www.biggame.org/convention/

These hotels should have the shuttle that will take you to/from there and the convention center. Not likely that everyone on AH will stay at the same hotel, just too many people. If you don't have a car, and even if you do, my personal recommendation is to stay at one of the hotels working with DSC for the shuttle. No parking issues/hassles that way.

At this point regarding the AH dinner, the overall unofficial tally is that Friday night is preferred for the dinner. And so it will remain.

Pretty much impossible. If you want to stay in the Omni, where the show is located, it sold out hours after reservations opened (we like to stay there, but I was literally minutes too late). There are a number of other hotels in easy walking or shuttle distance. For instance, we'll be staying at the Aloft which is quite close. As others have suggested, I would go to the DSC website and use their reservation service.

And Friday sounds good!

Omni soldout in about 30 min from opening. I am staying at the Loft also close walking distance.

Last year was our first time to attend. We arrived on Wednesday evening and left Saturday evening after the sessions had ended. The official hotel is the Omni and it’s usually booked full within a day or two after the dates are announced by DSC. We were, and still are, on a budget, so we stayed at the Best Western on Market Center Blvd. It’s across the street from the Courtyard by Marriot and Fairfield Inn. The shuttle buses run from the Courtyard to the Convention Center every few minutes. The Best Western is no luxury hotel, but the included breakfast is decent, the rooms were not too bad, and the beds were comfortable. For the price and proximity to the shuttle route, it works for us. We parked for free at the hotel and just ran across the street to catch the shuttle.

Thursday is a great day to go, very little crowds, and all the freebies are still out for the taking. By Saturday, those are all but gone. Friday was a more relaxed day for us, topped by the AH dinner that evening. Saturday will have classes/sessions that cover a variety of topics and we spent the better part of the day in those. We did not stay for Sunday, but Sunday is supposed to be the day to get the good deals and the auction items that did not sell are now going for minimum prices.
All in all, the three days were a lot of fun and we certainly learned a lot. We are planning on attending again this year and we booked our room back in March.

We can’t afford the DSC dinners. And not to tarnish the AH dinner on Friday night, but it’s much more affordable and probably a lot more fun. Food was great and the people we met there were all down to earth and very welcoming to us. I took my 15-year-old daughter to the dinner and everyone treated her like family and she really enjoyed herself.
Bottom line, the trip was well worth it.

@Royal27 I'm actually booked for 2018 - got an auction hunt at next to nothing at an NRA dinner in town (one of those "I'll write my name down for this much since I know it will go for way more" type of deals). But the outfitter is supposed to be in town so I wanted to go meet face to face.

@bushwacker thanks for the info. I think we will skip the DSC dinners also, and just try to attend the AH dinner instead.

I am a life member, I and I don't do the dinners. They are incredibly long (REALLY incredibly long), and though I support folks getting awards/recognition/etc, I don't need to be there for it. For us, its about meeting old friends for a quiet dinner who we typically won't see for another year. And of course the AH get together!

The AH dinner was one of the highlights last year for me. Pick any night and I will be there! Looking forward to seeing everyone again and hopefully meeting some new folks as well.

I normally only fly up for the day on Thursday, as Friday is a big work day for me. But this year, I was thinking about staying for Friday to catch the AH dinner. Omni is booked and Aloft is booked for Friday night. Interested where others are looking at booking, even if it's not on the official list of hotels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you