Advice for medium/small bore rifle

Thanks, WAB--I'll post my findings as soon as I make my final decision.

By the way, my name is Bill. I had no idea what I was doing when I signed up and used my initials as my name. I know, technologically illiterate!

Nice to meet you, Bill!

The Rigby...

Update: so this is what I ended up deciding on. A 1931 Cogswell & Harrison in .318 Nitro Express, pretty much in pristine condition. I may have it scoped, since a decent set of mounts will probably not detract from its value.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

40858868_10217415229241081_998996104420786176_n.jpg

Attachments

• 40858868_10217415229241081_998996104420786176_n.jpg
    40858868_10217415229241081_998996104420786176_n.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
You wont go wrong with that. Great choice

Where are you finding these guns Tom? Fantastic!!!

Hi, Bill--I'm a Gunsinternational fiend. They have enough lovely rifles (consistently!) to keep your bank account in check year-round!

Hi, Bill--I'm a Gunsinternational fiend. They have enough lovely rifles (consistently!) to keep your bank account in check year-round!

I’d better stay off there!

Very, very nice! I would absolutely scope it - something modern but Germanic. Talley’s are hard to beat. Look very similar to the inter-war British mounts only they work.

Very, very nice! I would absolutely scope it - something modern but Germanic. Talley’s are hard to beat. Look very similar to the inter-war British mounts only they work.

Thanks, Red Leg--I was kind of hoping you would chime in on the scope issue. I've been researching a suitable arrangement for this rifle, ruled out German claw mounts, and was slightly leaning towards EAW. But you're right, Talleys are wonderful and can be mated to their quick-detach system. If you have any other advice, I'm eager to hear it.

As for a scope, I've just bid on and won a lovely vintage Swarovski Habicht 6x42 that will go with this rifle like cheese on macaroni.

Perfect scope indeed. EAW's would be appropriate mounts as well. However, Talley's in QD (only ones I use) look the part, really work well, and are a real bargain. The 98 action might be a little tricky so you probably want a gunsmith to install the bases. If you are in Northern VA run over Hendershot's Sporting https://hendershots.net/ 19828 National Pike #100 Hagerstown, MD. Lance Hendershot can install them and tempt you with another couple dozen classic rifles while you are there. ;) Give him my regards!

Hi Tom,

Agree with Red Leg.
I use in my rifles Warne scope mounts. Works like Talley. Both very good systems.
BUT, ideally, the bases MUST be installed "in line" with everything in the gun to avoid any stress in the scope tube and to align the scope to the bore before any scope's control adjustments. A good gunsmith is needed.
The EAW, instead, have plenty adjustments to mount the scope stress-free and in line with the bore.
Of course, they are more expensive from the start than the Talley or Warne, but if you add the gunsmith cost, the final is very close.
Anyway, if properly installed, both systems work great!

Good luck!

CF

So .318 WR is the same as .318 NE? Your rifle is a beauty!

Red Leg, Clodo--thanks to you both. I'm factoring in about $1,000 for bases, rings, and gunsmithing (since I want it done right)... I was even thinking of sending the rifle to Champlin's or NECG--but I'd much rather use someone local if he's that good.

Sierraleone--yes, there are three designations for the caliber: .318 NE, .318 Westley Richards and .318 Accelerated Express. All the same cartridge. And thanks for the compliment--yes, the rifle is gorgeous. I can't wait to have it all fitted out ad to take it to the field.

Rigby for me. I have one on its way, Christmas has come early.
Markcz

Rigby for me. I have one on its way, Christmas has come early.
Markcz
Not to hijack the thread, but you can't write something like that and not give details.
It's like have a cigarette and nothing to light it with.
Somebody turn the stove on so I can light this thing.

is that the original stock on that rifle?
it looks quite straight for a british rifle of that era.
bruce.

is that the original stock on that rifle?
it looks quite straight for a british rifle of that era.
bruce.

As far as I know, yes. Even if it's a replacement it's done really well--the wood to metal fit is phenomenal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg