.450 Rigby whats your opinion

Somehow, I "picked up" a 416 Rigby barrel from a Ruger RSM, I've wondered about having it rebored to 450 Rigby; have to source an RSM action first ...
Just finding an RSM action by itself is going to be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Easier to find CZ action or a donar 458 winchester in cz and rexhambering it. Chamber reamers are avsilable. Also need bolt face and feed work. May still end up around 6k with all the gumsmith work.
Or you can get a cz 416 rigby as a donar and rebarrel it.
Krish

Last edited:
I bought a 458 Express, with the idea of converting it to a 450 Rigby. Well I love the 458 Express (I shoot a 500gr between 2250 - 2300 Fps. I do not need a 450 Rigby shooting 500gr bullets at 2400 fps. Yet, I still want one.

I think it is a great cartridge, and even though it is one of the newer 458's on the market, just because it is a "Rigby" adds a bit mystique to it.

Something I have noted with people who own it, is that a 500gr @ 2400+ fps is to much to handle to for most people and not enjoyably, same applies to the 460 Weatherby that I have seen. They all load it to 2200 - 2300, which is Lott/Express territory (and probably the ideal combination - yeah I know lower pressures for the Rigby).

Basically then you have a very expensive round and rifle probably, doing the same as the others... A bit like most of us driving pickups / Big SUV's in city traffic next to small hatchbacks... Why do people do such stuff, having big cars, big calibers, well just because it is what we/they like. If people want to own a 450 Rigby in say a Rigby and load it to a more "moderate" load of 2300 fps, fine with me, they have the rifle and caliber of choice and at those velocities still excellent. Maybe 2400+ may be to fast...

Just finding an RSM action by itself is going to be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Easier to find CZ action or a donar 458 winchester in cz and rexhambering it. Chamber reamers are avsilable. Also need bolt face and feed work. May still end up around 6k with all the gumsmith work.
Or you can get a cz 416 rigby as a donar and rebarrel it.
Krish
Had a yarn with my 'smith today about either finding a good, pre-owned 416 (or 450) Rigby, as well as discussing a "build". A "proper" Rigby, or Mauser Magnum is waaaay beyond my budget, so build or buy is the only option. Thanks for your advice/ input, Mate.

I think the 450 Rigby is a neat caliber, but for the amount of recoil why wouldn't you go with a 500 Jeffery or a 505 Gibbs?

New addition.
Krish
Screenshot_20231015_203515_Chrome.jpg

...Back in the day (1996) I purchased a Ruger RSM caliber .416 Rigby. I sent the rifle to Cliff LaBounty Precision Reboring and had him "punch out" the barrel to 45 caliber and chamber to .450 Rigby. Then I installed a Timney trigger, Decelerator recoil pad, and a NECG front sight insert.
Components: Rigby .416 brass, fire formed, Fed 215 primers, Woodleigh 500gr FMJ, 90grs IMR 3031. Velocity was 2182fps. Loading 95grs of IMR3031=2429fps.
The RSM seemed a bit "clunky" and the rifle just didn't fit me. Probably because I was too accustomed to pre 64 Model 70's.
Looking back, I think the conversion of the Ruger RSM .416 Rigby to .450 Rigby was an exercise in futility.

@ Krish thank you.
I much prefer the oil finsh to gloss they normally come with.
Also Rigby kindly made me me a new slimmer magazine follower and magazine spring so that I can load 4 rounds in 450 the Rigby.

@ Krish thank you.
Also Rigby kindly made me me a new slimmer magazine follower and magazine spring so that I can load 4 rounds in 450 the Rigby.
Seeing that photo almost made me cry; so elegant!!

@ Krish thank you.
@SWARA please show us a photo of that!

Nice looking rifle!!!

The new follower already installed I don't particularly want to remove it to take a photo.

It basically thinner. If you look at the standard flower it's very thick compared to the new one.
It just let's me load/camber a 4th round by striping it from the mag. The follower might need some slight relief on the bottom front as it's still a bit tight to let me push the 4th fully down to close the bolt on the 4th.
But I'm happy that Rigby did that for me at my request and sent me a new modified follower and spring at no cost.

@ Krish thank you.
I just picked this one up. Takes 4 in the magazine. How ever while closing the bolt one chambers. Can't close the bolt with 4 in the magazine.
Krish.
20231021_173217.jpg
20231021_173157.jpg

I have a 450ackley mag on a BRNO 602
my handloads with 500grs 2360 fps is a real killer.
specially holding 5 rds magazine shot 2 buffalo with it one took a second shot while he was on the ground for insurance the other single shot ran 100 yrds died on the ground perfect
left shoulder shot hitting top of the heart .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corinne146

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you