Why avoid Hornady DG bullets and ammunition?

Why avoid Hornady ammunition for Dangerous Game? Because it's not even in the running for being the best. And why purposely short yourself when your life, and the life of others, could depend upon it?

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/one-and-only-one-bullet-manufacturer-for-dangerous-game.39399/

Screenshot_20170717-204850.png

Things I have learned from the above poll so far:

1. The community believes there are multiple top choices for a DG Bullet
  2. Hornady is not one of them, period
  3. Steve Hornady either doesn't post here, or he uses another DG bullet too :p

Exactly! When hunting dangerous game you should use the best you can get, this is not only ethical to the animal you hunt but is the minimum you can do to ensure the best opportunity to reliably kill the animal.

The same goes for caliber choice, marginal calibers and marginal bullet's are a no no!. Use something that has been proven in the field and is reliable for the species you intend to hunt.

Why avoid Hornady ammunition for Dangerous Game? Because it's not even in the running for being the best. And why purposely short yourself when your life, and the life of others, could depend upon it?

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/one-and-only-one-bullet-manufacturer-for-dangerous-game.39399/

View attachment 195979

Neither do the folks that have been shamelessly hawking the Hornady DGX bullet for dangerous game even though you know they have seen the failure reports. It's sad to see that. Kind of like seeing Tom Selleck hawking reverse mortgages.

In my experience as a deer hunting, Hornady has issues with expansion. They fly excellently for long range, but I have yet to find a speed they expand like a Nosler partition or even a ballistic tip on Kansas sized whitetails (200-275 lbs). Obviously not using DGX on them, but I would hesitate to use their ammo on anything with that fights back. I had one from a .270 smash through a shoulder and two ribs and the exit wound was the same size as the entrance. Absolutely zero expansion, and they brag their DGX is more solidly constructed than their interlock, so I would pass on it.

View attachment 195979

Would be interested in Boddington's take as he spend a lot of time with the Hornady's. Would he endorse their DGX bullets?

dt

Would be interested in Boddington's take as he spend a lot of time with the Hornady's. Would he endorse their DGX bullets?

dt

Probebly depend how much they are paying him that day, unfortunately

In my experience as a deer hunting, Hornady has issues with expansion. They fly excellently for long range, but I have yet to find a speed they expand like a Nosler partition or even a ballistic tip on Kansas sized whitetails (200-275 lbs). Obviously not using DGX on them, but I would hesitate to use their ammo on anything with that fights back. I had one from a .270 smash through a shoulder and two ribs and the exit wound was the same size as the entrance. Absolutely zero expansion, and they brag their DGX is more solidly constructed than their interlock, so I would pass on it.

A small exit hole really means nothing. Even a .30 cal bullet expanded 2x can leave an exit hole no more than the size of your baby finger around. Large exit holes are often associated with bullets that fragment or the skin simply tearing. The size of the exit hole really means nothing. As the deer died I'd suggest the internal damage was fairly extensive. Just curious which bullet it was?

A small exit hole really means nothing. Even a .30 cal bullet expanded 2x can leave an exit hole no more than the size of your baby finger around. Large exit holes are often associated with bullets that fragment or the skin simply tearing. The size of the exit hole really means nothing. As the deer died I'd suggest the internal damage was fairly extensive. Just curious which bullet it was?

A 140 gn .270 BTSP interlock.

One died after running a quarter mile with a nice double lung shot, the one that I took out the shoulder blade on dropped instantly but didn't die for another 10 minutes until we could walk up to it, see it still breathing and end its suffering, after that I switched to Nosler permanently and never had one go more than 10 yards.

My dad still uses hornady in a 308, also BTSP with interlock, and has lost 2 bucks that ran a half mile on to a unneighborly neighbors property, despite finding chunks of lung tissue at the site of impact. I just have a hard time believing there is any significant expansion or damage to internals with their ammo designed for quick expansion. I have only seen two kills I would consider clean with a Hornady, one was a CNS shot and one hit the aorta on a small doe and she bleed out quick.

You would honestly be the first person I've ever heard complain that Interlocks don't expand. I've heard them criticized for fragmenting but never for not expanding. Good to hear you found something you are happy with though as having confidence in a bullet is paramount.

A 140 gn .270 BTSP interlock.

One died after running a quarter mile with a nice double lung shot, the one that I took out the shoulder blade on dropped instantly but didn't die for another 10 minutes until we could walk up to it, see it still breathing and end its suffering, after that I switched to Nosler permanently and never had one go more than 10 yards.

My dad still uses hornady in a 308, also BTSP with interlock, and has lost 2 bucks that ran a half mile on to a unneighborly neighbors property, despite finding chunks of lung tissue at the site of impact. I just have a hard time believing there is any significant expansion or damage to internals with their ammo designed for quick expansion. I have only seen two kills I would consider clean with a Hornady, one was a CNS shot and one hit the aorta on a small doe and she bleed out quick.

Hello Lbarr,

And, welcome to the world's best forum.
Your fail-to-expand experiences are exactly the opposite of mine with Hornady "Interlock" projectiles.
I did shoot a caliber .270 Winchester / 150 grain spire point, broadside through a caribou's lungs and the exit wound showed only a very slight increase, compared to the approximately .27 caliber entrance wound.
Conversely, 130 gr spire points in that caliber generally did not exit caribou or blacktail deer, in my experiences with same.

Admittedly however, I've no experience with the latest boat tail version.
All the critters I've shot with Interlocks have been with either their original flat based round nose soft and / or their original flat base spire point, in various calibers.
I have found the pointy ones to be only a tad bit less soft than Sierra's equivalent bullets, in other words flat based spitzer soft points in the same calibers and weights, velocities, etc.
On the other hand, Hornady's good old "Interlock" round nose softs seem fairly tough at "non-magnum" / low to moderate striking velocities (my experiences in both Alaska and Africa as well).
Nonetheless, I've never seen one fail to expand on any hooved animal (they pass through rodents with, judging by the wounds, to be little or expansion-lol).

I guess your own and my own pretty much opposite experiences with Hornady Interlocks, is a perfect illustration of; "One man's bread is another man's poison".

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I think after 25 pages of mostly negative comments, there's not a lot left to discuss. There's little id any room for error when it comes to dangerous game bullets. No bullet is perfect but in drawing a summation from all of the posts here, Hornady's product is flawed at best and a dangerous product more than anything. You simply can't afford anything less than 100% performance when hunting dangerous game. The past 25 pages is nothing less than a litany of disappointment and failures.

Wounding a deer is a disappointment which causes unnecessary suffering in an animal; wounding a lion or buffalo puts an entire hunting party at risk. Hornady needs to acknowledge it has a problem and commit to improving its product. Sadly, this would affect sales and profit and nothing comes ahead of the almighty dollar.

I think after 25 pages of mostly negative comments, there's not a lot left to discuss. There's little id any room for error when it comes to dangerous game bullets. No bullet is perfect but in drawing a summation from all of the posts here, Hornady's product is flawed at best and a dangerous product more than anything. You simply can't afford anything less than 100% performance when hunting dangerous game. The past 25 pages is nothing less than a litany of disappointment and failures.

Wounding a deer is a disappointment which causes unnecessary suffering in an animal; wounding a lion or buffalo puts an entire hunting party at risk. Hornady needs to acknowledge it has a problem and commit to improving its product. Sadly, this would affect sales and profit and nothing comes ahead of the almighty dollar.
I agree that noting more needs to be said about the product which has not already been said.

But what remains to be said, or asked, actually, is why Hornady would allow 25 pages of mostly negative comments to go on without saying something - anything - about the issues. I can tell you if I marketed my product to hunters, and dangerous game hunters in particular, and on one of the two major forums dedicated to hunters, and the one dedicated to dangerous game hunters, my product was being slagged, I'd say something.

I suppose it's possible, but I'd have thought highly unlikely, that Hornady has no idea what's being said here. If they are unaware, then they need to have a serious look at their marketing group. These days you ignore social media - informed social media in particular - at your peril. In any event, to say nothing seems to suggest that the Company simply doesn't care what people think about one of its products. And I guess if they don't care, I see no reason why any of us should care.

It all seems very odd to me.

From an Alaska hunter, sound familiar relative to a recent thread?

So I am on my 2nd 416 ruger which was produced in 2011 and am still having trouble with the feeding, especially the first round with a loaded mag which goes too far left and gets caught on the tip of the fat hornady dgx bullet just by a little. going into the chamber, its as if the feed rails arent releasing it soon enough?? I sent my first 416 back to ruger and they "fixed" it but still did the same so I traded it off and now I bought another one and do not really want to send it back to ruger as my experience with my first one didnt change..Now my question is if I took some emery cloth to the feed rails would this help or could I end up ruining it, what grade should I use, also the brass gets scratched horrible...Will just shooting it break it in or what? I love the rifle but want it to feed factory ammo..sorry to be long winded. thanks..Also anyone know of any good gunsmiths that is competent on feeding issues in Alaska???

From an Alaska hunter, sound familiar relative to a recent thread?

So I am on my 2nd 416 ruger which was produced in 2011 and am still having trouble with the feeding, especially the first round with a loaded mag which goes too far left and gets caught on the tip of the fat hornady dgx bullet just by a little. going into the chamber, its as if the feed rails arent releasing it soon enough?? I sent my first 416 back to ruger and they "fixed" it but still did the same so I traded it off and now I bought another one and do not really want to send it back to ruger as my experience with my first one didnt change..Now my question is if I took some emery cloth to the feed rails would this help or could I end up ruining it, what grade should I use, also the brass gets scratched horrible...Will just shooting it break it in or what? I love the rifle but want it to feed factory ammo..sorry to be long winded. thanks..Also anyone know of any good gunsmiths that is competent on feeding issues in Alaska???

Hello Hogpatrol,

Hawk's Gunsmithing in Anchorage.
907-562-0881

The owner's name is Andy Hawk and he is not just a professional Gunsmith but, he is also a stand-up guy, I totally vouch for him.
He has properly modified several bolt action rifles of mine, including my .500 Jeffery (CZ Model 550) which arrived, brand new from CZ's so called "Custom Shop", not feeding whatsoever.
After Andy worked it over, it now feeds like a pig.
A huge part of the problem was the follower was contoured for smaller diameter cartridges.
After he milled out part of the follower's top ridge, and hand filed a tiny bit from one or both side rails, it works perfectly.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Just observations, I have been present at four 1 shot brain killed hippo. Also 1 shot bushbuck 2 different shooters both .450/400. They will not regulate in my old Westley Richard's. 450-400. All Hornady factory loaded ammo.
Should be doing some PAC ele soon will comment afterwards. I will not be the shooter. Back up only, with .470 fed premiums woodleigh solid, never failed!

I would bet that it will only happen when sales are almost all but gone on the DG side. Quite frankly, they could be welcoming a good amount of business from the DG community if they improved quality and performance and kept the prices down.
Serious question, how many DG bullets are sold compared to everything else? How long would it take to recoup RD cost?

Serious question, how many DG bullets are sold compared to everything else? How long would it take to recoup RD cost?

Certainly much smaller. But it seems Swift, Barnes, Woodleigh and the much smaller companies of Cutting Edge Bullets and North Fork Bullets have figured it out. More expensive bullets are they? For sure they are, but a small cost in comparison to the cost of a DG hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg