Whisky

I’m not a big whiskey or scotch drinker but have recently tried this on the advice of a friend. It is certainly not the quality of what others have listed in this post, but not bad. I like the bottle as well. I’ll try some of the good stuff if the opportunity presents itself

IMG_6364.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan myself. Try the 10 yr Whistle Pig Rye. Make a great Old Fashioned.

You can get a great and tasty Mannhatan from that Rye bottle also.........;)

+1 on the Manhattan. Relatively easy to make, too - Sweet vermouth, bitters and Maraschino cherries. Combine vermouth, whiskey and bitters to a recipe or taste in an ice filled shaker, shake, pour, add cherries. Mmmm mmm.

Just catching back up on this fun thread! Thanks Donnachaidh for starting it.
I guess all the group going to PawPrints in July will “only” be drinking bourbon?
Just finished my nightly red wine...tonight’s was Apothic Red blend. While at Pawprints in September, Koos introduced me to Fat Bastard blended SA wine. It was perfect for sitting at the fire watching Claudius grilling our dinner of buff steaks, or whatever was on the night’s menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, only thing I love more than rifles is Scottish whisky.

For Irish I like Greenspot, one of the few all barley Irish whiskeys we can get in South Africa.
In the Scottish malts I enjoy Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich.

So, all the milder, Speyside whisky and nothing with corn in it (sorry USA!)

:whistle:o_O
27751662_1613965225360502_3313220422316817393_n.jpg

It's cold and dreary today here, so maybe time to restart this thread. I was given a bottle of Lonach scotch for Christmas. I haven't tried it yet but can't find any tasting notes. Anyone else heard of it?

I’ve got a few reliable favorites. If I’m after an American whiskey, it’s hard to beat Jack Daniels or George Dickel. For a bourbon I’m a big fan of Elijah Craig. I’ve recently taken to Jamison when I want something different.

Still haven’t found a scotch I particularly care for.

I’m not a big whiskey or scotch drinker but have recently tried this on the advice of a friend. It is certainly not the quality of what others have listed in this post, but not bad. I like the bottle as well. I’ll try some of the good stuff if the opportunity presents itself

View attachment 218634
Oh God. :Vomit:

For Scotch I like a number of the Balvenie’s, particularly Caribbean cask, Glenmorangie Very Rare (18yr), and pretty much any MacAllan. I really like one Irish Whiskey, Middleton Very Rare. For bourbon I drink Buffalo Trace and Blanton’s. My buddy got us in the habit of taking a bottle of buffalo trace for every buff we intend to kill in Africa. The night the buff is downed the trace is opened.

Then my tastes are REALLY unsophisticated.......to the point of being "trailer trash"! I like Jim Beam "Red Stag".
My wife was enjoying a Jim Beam Black Cherry but it is no longer available in Australia.
@BeeMaa said it is still available as Red Stag in your country.

Does anyone recall a thread with someone praising Laphraoig? It got me curious as I lash out sometimes when I visit the City.

For Scotch I like a number of the Balvenie’s, particularly Caribbean cask, Glenmorangie Very Rare (18yr), and pretty much any MacAllan. I really like one Irish Whiskey, Middleton Very Rare. For bourbon I drink Buffalo Trace and Blanton’s. My buddy got us in the habit of taking a bottle of buffalo trace for every buff we intend to kill in Africa. The night the buff is downed the trace is opened.
The Balvenie and Glenmorangie are my favourites too. My wife makes natural creams, so i nick some of the base and infuse it with Glenmorangie and a cuban cigar. You then rub a dab on the back of your hand and when the dinner party is dragging on or the board meeting is boring you just take a sniff and it transports you to where you would rather be. Mopane smoke infusion works wonders too.

Reactions: WAB
I pencilled in last nights Powerball for a win and if I had of won the first prize I was going to order this...no ifs n buts about it.

Im not so sure that I know 8 deserving people to share with ha ha.

ard case.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 3.08.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 3.08.40 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 3.08.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 3.08.42 PM.png
    766.4 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: WAB
Does anyone recall a thread with someone praising Laphraoig? It got me curious as I lash out sometimes when I visit the City.
Laphraoig is a very heavy smoke scotch per my taste buds.

The Balvenie and Glenmorangie are my favourites too.
These are both very lightly smoke tasting. Again per my taste buds.

Laphraoig is a very heavy smoke scotch per my taste buds.
Laphroaig is delicious, I love it with eggs for breakfast.
I very much enjoy all the Scotches from Isla.
Big fan of smokey, peaty and medicinal tastes from the area.
Lagavulin 16...now we are really talking.

I can not abide the heavy peat single malts. Laphroaig is just about undrinkable to my tastes. Give me something clean and neat like Macallan 15/18 or even a really nice Irish.

Scotch, smokey or otherwise, for breakfast .................
There are clinics that can help.:oops:

Last edited:
I posted this on another thread but "The Wild Geese" is a truly incredible Irish.

coasters.jpg

I find the heavy peat surprisingly good after a day on the hill in Scotland. Perhaps it’s crawling about in all that heather that prepares you for it.

I am a huge Laphroaig fan! You'll probably like Ardbeg as well...

Bowmore is a nice "every day" alternative and less peated.

JMO, but scotches are very similar to wines, ie what you pair them with can make a huge difference in their enjoyment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg