AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe

MAdcox

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC; DSCOK
Hunted
Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
We drink Pendleton Whisky at my house. Good Canadian that does the trick. Nice and smooth.

This year they came out with a limited run 20 yr old. Can’t wait to try it.
I've just been introduced to whiskey and started on Pendleton. I really enjoy it and the 1910 Rye.
But I just attended a night of Irish music and singing for a group my wife's friend plays for and they passed out Irish whiskey at the door. I was never able to see the bottle or get a name, but it was wonderful stuff. Still trying to get a label.

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
Anyone else a fan of Japanese whiskies? A great intro into Jap whisky is Akashi. It tastes like an ultra smooth scotch at half the cost.

geoff rath

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried a Japanese whisky a couple of years ago; beautiful, just beautiful; smooth as silk. First one was on the rocks, the second was straight. Cannot remember its name, dammit!!! I'll have to do some research . . .

Lrntolive

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
Winston Churchill (as he usually did) had the best comment on spirits. Asked about his love of whisky, he replied - "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.” I wholeheartedly concur.
I don't always drink a single malt, but when I do it is usually Talisker or Macallan - 18 in either. I do not care particularly for the heavy peat taste. Also sure to frustrate my British cousins, but I prefer it over a couple of cubes of ice.
I don't think you'll offend any Scotts drinking it on the rocks. When I was there, they all said scotch is to be drank any way you prefer. Just as long as you drink it. They thought we "yanks" had too many rules on drinking.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I really never liked scotch and prefer Crown Reserve, Makers Mark, or Jim Bean Black but after many trips to Africa where I just go with what’s available I developed a taste for scotch. Now I don’t drink much anymore but agree that after a special day of hunting a good belt is in order!
Philip

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Not much of a drinker, just a beer guy. But there is something to be said about having a bottle of something in front me...........

MarkCZ

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
I like smoky peaty flavours of the Isley whisky,s and there is a blend of them called The Black Bottle in my opinion the best kept secret from Scotland. It's my birthday on Saturday and I will be settling down with a dram that night.
Markcz

jeanes

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
TSRA Life Member, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Colorado, South Dakota
Anyone else a fan of Japanese whiskies? A great intro into Jap whisky is Akashi. It tastes like an ultra smooth scotch at half the cost.
Toki is pretty good, too.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Donnachaidh,

Great topic, thanks for posting it.

In regards to Satan's Firewater, I am with you and a couple of others here in that, Oban 14 year is my preference.

It is bonnie smooth "on the rocks" (any proper Alaskan does enjoy an icy cocktail now and again).

Likewise Oban, when taken "neat", is also quite acceptable with me.

Personally, I do not often drink distilled spirits, definitely preferring various beers, (especially micro-brews / craft-brews, such as IPAs, stouts, and so-forth).

After assorted beers, nothing goes as well with red meat, (especially game meat) as does a smooth dark red wine, such as from the Malbec and / or Cabernet grape.

But this Thread is specifically about Whisky and so at this point, I shall uncharacteristically stifle myself.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
nothing goes as well with red meat, (especially game meat) as does a smooth dark red wine, such as from the Malbec and / or Cabernet grape.

I’m a Cabernet guy myself, especially ones from Coonawarra, can’t beat it with meaty dinner...

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Shiraz guy here .. Especially Barossa valley ..
As far as opposite views are concerned one could do worse than that. They make some very good Cabernet Shiraz blends in this region too.

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
Call me what you will, but I have never gotten a taste for beers outside of stouts. Guinness is about the only beer I will drink. My champagne of choice is Veuve Clicquot.

Back on topic, I really like Templeton Rye. And while I am by no means a bourbon drinker, Knob Creek is always a solid choice.

Timbo

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
Nice to hear appreciative remarks about Aussie wines fellas. Though not a big drinker myself, I have my favourites in whiskey, whisky (note the subtle difference!), wines and beers. But after deep thought, my deciding factor on the subject comes down to this: as long as the company is grand, I'll drink just about any damn thing!!

:D Cheers:

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Aussie wines...
IMG_2980.JPG

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
I like Macallan..... However, I really enjoy Balvenie. It's pretty interesting how such a relatively small area (Scotland), can so many (5-6) different regions of the scotch product. Each with fairly unique differences that separate them from one another. I'm a Speyside fan personally. Love to visit, drink scotch, play golf, maybe hunt & fish too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArielDahle

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.