Fastrig

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
CA, TX, MT, CO, NV, AK, NE, SD, FL
Going to buy a pair of the new Leica Geovid 3200.com range finding binos before I go to Africa in April but can't decide which version to go with. The options are 8x42, 10x42, and 8x56. Appreciate any advice on these options with reasons why one over the other....THANKS!!

Weight on both the x42 binos is roughly 34 oz, the x56 is 42.5 oz., for reference.

The Leica 10x42 rangefinder is my go-to glass. They are remarkably lightweight and I have used them extensively here in the States, Canada, and Europe. I think a 10 power is most useful for rangefinding glass.

However, I don't take them to Africa. I have never needed the range finding capability there. For long hours walking after a buffalo or eland, or for trying to close with a sable or kudu, I find the Leica 8x42 Ultravid ideal.

A 56 is a somewhat specialized low light glass really optimized for stand hunting. I would not want to drag one of those around during a long day on a track.

The Leica 10x42 rangefinder is my go-to glass. They are remarkably lightweight and I have used them extensively here in the States, Canada, and Europe. I think a 10 power is most useful for rangefinding glass.

However, I don't take them to Africa. I have never needed the range finding capability there. For long hours walking after a buffalo or eland, or for trying to close with a sable or kudu, I find the Leica 8x42 Ultravid ideal.

A 56 is a somewhat specialized low light glass really optimized for stand hunting. I would not want to drag one of those around during a long day on a track.

Yep, that. Do be aware that from what I've read Leica customer service is not always so great, particularly in comparison to Swarovski. But I don't have direct experience, so I'd recommend you research that subject.

Depends on what you are doing. Within reason, the bigger the better from a stand that is 7 yards away from the truck and the smaller the better if you are walking and stalking. My experience parallels Red Leg's that I have never needed a range finder in Africa. I generally carry 8.5x42 EL Swarovski but I did on one trip use my wife's 8x32 EL's and for me, they are far preferable on a walk-and-stalk. If I were doing both on the same hunt, I would choose the x32's. They gain more in the carry than they lose on the stand.

Thanks! I was leaning towards the 10x42 but wanted some advice to back that up. Wife isn’t going to be happy if I buy two sets so the 10x42 are probably going to be what goes to Africa this trip. Thank you again!!

Depends on what you are doing. Within reason, the bigger the better from a stand that is 7 yards away from the truck and the smaller the better if you are walking and stalking. My experience parallels Red Leg's that I have never needed a range finder in Africa. I generally carry 8.5x42 EL Swarovski but I did on one trip use my wife's 8x32 EL's and for me, they are far preferable on a walk-and-stalk. If I were doing both on the same hunt, I would choose the x32's. They gain more in the carry than they lose on the stand.

Will be using these both in Africa and State side, so guess I’m looking for that happy medium. Thinking the 10x42’s will be the best all arounders from what Red Leg and you are saying...spending quite a bit replacing some of my other old worn out gear so it’s one pair of GP binos this go around

Thanks! I was leaning towards the 10x42 but wanted some advice to back that up. Wife isn’t going to be happy if I buy two sets so the 10x42 are probably going to be what goes to Africa this trip. Thank you again!!
Absolutely - if investing in one, I highly recommend the 10x42 3200 - simply fantastic technology. And obviously, it will work as advertised in Africa as well as everywhere else.

Last edited:
I have the 10x42 HD-B. I did take and use them in Africa, the Northern Cape to be exact. While the shots did not allow me the time to turn the dial on my scope, I was able to better guess how high to shoot. I did have a few long shots, and some very short one too. I did not find them bad to carry.

8x32 is what I generally take to Africa. They are smaller. Weigh less. Handier. Easier to pick out game with the wider field of view. Most PH's won't have you taking shots over 200m. Probably more like 150m.

If you are going to a place with big wide open areas. ie: East Cape, Khomas Hochland, Kafue Flats, Zambezi Delta, etc., then 10x42's might be better.

In Africa, you are not going to need a 10x42 to judge trophies generally. Your PH will do that for you. If you have questions on yardage, most PH's can give you an EWAG within 25m even if they don't have a range finder.

All the best in your decision.

My PH had Liecas and I liked them.
My wife asked if i needed a set. I thought about but really i dont and said not for what i do i could not justify the price but they are good.
I read a heap of stuff on 8x42 vs10x42 but that was regarding binos just for glassing the terrain for animals not assess and range.
The general consensus i found was people who are likely to spend a lot of time glassing find they seem more steady with 8x and might assess a target with a scope when identified. Personal choice i guess.

If you have questions on yardage, most PH's can give you an EWAG within 25m even if they don't have a range finder.

All the best in your decision.

I think our PH sometimes just yelled out random numbers between 150 and 200 yards to get us to stop thinking about the range and focus on taking a good shot. The difference in drop between 150 and 300 yards for our rifles was negligible when you consider the size of the vital area on most PG. We used the rangefinding features on our binos for fun sometimes, especially when sitting in a blind, but never to range an animal that we subsequently shot at. The rangefinding feature was mostly just more weight to haul around.

Personally I use the Leica Geovids 10x42. That being said, 2 out 3 PH's that hunt for me, use Geovids with the other one using the Swarovskis. They are without a doubt the best equipment that I own.

I have personally dealt with their customer service in having my binoculars completely service overhauled, and can not complain.

To me, I say hands down the 10x if you are rifle hunting. If you want a range finding binos, then these animals are going to be at least 200 yards away. Might as well get the extra magnification - the animals aren't going to be hard to locate

10x42 is my magnification of choice for almost all hunting.

I had the Leica Geovid 10x42 R, generation 1 RF binos...the blocky ones.
Every PH (except mine) with the outfitter had the exact same binos.
When I left Africa, my binos stayed with my PH as part of his tip.

Late last year I picked up a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 at Euro Optic.
They had them on sale to make room for the new 3200's.
I just looked and they still have them for $2500, vs $3K for the 3200's.
Not sure about the differences, but I'll leave that to you.

10x42 is my magnification of choice for almost all hunting.

I had the Leica Geovid 10x42 R, generation 1 RF binos...the blocky ones.
Every PH (except mine) with the outfitter had the exact same binos.
When I left Africa, my binos stayed with my PH as part of his tip.

Late last year I picked up a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 at Euro Optic.
They had them on sale to make room for the new 3200's.
I just looked and they still have them for $2500, vs $3K for the 3200's.
Not sure about the differences, but I'll leave that to you.

From what I understand the differences between the two are the new Bluetooth connectivity and updated ballistics interaction....guessing the glass is the same.

Going to buy a pair of the new Leica Geovid 3200.com range finding binos before I go to Africa in April but can't decide which version to go with. The options are 8x42, 10x42, and 8x56. Appreciate any advice on these options with reasons why one over the other....THANKS!!

Weight on both the x42 binos is roughly 34 oz, the x56 is 42.5 oz., for reference.
I am also wanting a pair. 10x42 definitely. They are unreal

When I hunted Africa I had the Leica CRF 1600, which are a 7x glass, and a set of Leica 10x42 Ultravids. Being heavily left eye dominant the RF binos don't work well for me because the read out is in the right eye piece. The binos are great for glassing but they never left the truck. The CRF worked great for ranging game and is also more than clear enough to judge heads well at most African stalking ranges. Light, fits in your shirt pocket and excellent glass.

I took the Leica 10x42 HD-B on my first safari in 2016 and the PH used them a lot, in 2018 took them and let the PH use them full time while i used the 8x32 Ultravid's. My original pair now reside in Zim and i picked up a new pair. I would watch cameralandny and get a pair of Demo's, can't go wrong with the Leica's

I let my PH carry the rangefinder and do that sorta stuff. Much more easier than trying to fiddle with more stuff.

From what I understand the differences between the two are the new Bluetooth connectivity and updated ballistics interaction....guessing the glass is the same.
It's been almost a month since you started this thread.
Wondering if you pulled the trigger on something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkdagasv388

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg